Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
Agreed. It's hard for some to believe, but Moonie was the "IT" drummer in London in the 60's. The first three who albums are all the proof you need. Everybody wanted to be him, including bonham ("Good times Bad times"). Also you have to keep in mind that he was only 18-19 years old when those albums came out and was pretty damn tight at the time. Busy yes but not sloppy. I think moon could've had quite a career as a session drummer. He could emulate styles really well. Motown, slow blues (there's stuff on the My Generation album thet's eerily bonzoesque), surf, spector beats, etc... Give a listen to The Who Sell Out. There's some very subdued work on there (for Moonie). Especially Odorono. Sadly, drugs and booze ruined the man and that's a shame because he really could've blossomed and been even greater.

--LG

Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.

There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.

Signed, everybody should see this, sums up my view of The Who and how perfectly fit
Moon was for the band. I read some posts claiming that Moon was sloppy
and I believe that his lifestyle made him like that after the early 70's.
Besides, its Rock n' Roll it doesnt have too be on beat everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

Quote:Really? I'm very interested in hearing your sources for that story.

Answer: I also read this in a magazine issu dedicated to zeppelin, they interviewed all of the members and Carmine Appice and they said it was true.

I love Keith Moon. HE IS truly one of a kind. His style, enthusiasm, and character cannot be matched. And think of the bands back then. Did anybody even try and do stuff like him? I think not.
Moon rocks .

preach on. I totally agree with you!
Keith is a legend because he was more than just a drummer. He had that extra bit of magic which seperates him from the rest. If he walked in a room you'd know about, he's a legend like Marilyn Monroe and Elvis (although a HELL of alot better than in my opinion). Moonie is fasinating to watch and a pleasure to listen too! =)
An he died 10 years before i was even born...not fair

Last edited:
Keith Moon puts a smile on my face when i'm down and always entertains. I don't understand you people that say he was'nt a very good drummer. He was amazing, brilliant, fantastic, exciting and i'm all out of words but you know what i'm saying!

I have to post this pic :D
keithmoonpm5.jpg

great picture was that picture taken just before he died?only one moonie everytime I think of a deceased musician I always wonder what kind of jam session is going on up there.one day i'll find out because nobody lives forever.

keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

Keith is one of my favorite drummers ever. Not always the most technical and sometimes a bit sloppy but hes the mostentertainng drummer ever. imo

I gotta say The Who may not have been the greatest rock band of all time but they definately were the greatest live act of all time.

By the way, did he ever use a hi hat. I mean at the Isle of Wight there were no hats to be seen.

I gotta say The Who may not have been the greatest rock band of all time but they definately were the greatest live act of all time.

By the way, did he ever use a hi hat. I mean at the Isle of Wight there were no hats to be seen.

He did at times yeah (although as you say not at (Isle Of Wight).....Who Are You is the most basic stuff he did with hats I think.

All just an opinion .... but:

Keith Moon was rock and roll ... He did it all first.... and in the years when he was playing at his best... nothing anyone has done since has come close.

In rock - he was the first to bring the drums forward as more than just time keeping, in fact he brought them forward as more than just another instrument... at times he made them centre stage ... with or without antics...

When he was on it, he lost himself in his drumming... instinct overtook everything and his feelings/emotions spoke (or shouted) through the skins....

Sure he made faces, he did sometimes blow up his drum kit as a finale, or just smash it alongside Pete destroying the odd guitar or amp... He became famous for his off-stage antics, facts and rumours blended into myth and legend - and he became a celebrity. This stuff along with the energy, anger, newness and unapologetic arrogance of their music, succeeded in helping to get (and keep) The Who famous...

But these things divert attention from the fact that at his best, - he was the best there has ever been.

Watch the 'Live at the Isle of Wight DVD' ... listen to 'Who's Next' ... which are around the time I think he was drumming at his peak.

Accused of being "Sloppy?" ... Maybe.... but if so 'sloppy' in the same way that Hendrix didn't pluck every note bang on the beat, sloppy like Keith Richards is often an 8th or so behind with the dirty sounding Tele ... sloppy in the way Dylan's or Morrisey's poetry snd prose doesn't always meter exactly into the 4/4 of their songs... Any less of a genius because of it? .... NO ..... It's an integral part of the magic...

Moonie's explosive drumming was the powerhouse that drove The Who's music

(You can probably guess I'm a fan ... !) .... But once familiar with The Who's music, you hear how much their infuence flows through so many bands that have followed of almost any genre. I can't think of many - if any - rock drummers that have followed, who have none of Keith's influence in their playing. - After all - he did it first...

As a note, he also said he thought drum solo's pointless and boring.....

As for things like the 'goldfish' solo, - it was done in latter years when Keith's constant daily consumption of brandy, champagne and all kinds of illicit substances had reached such levels to leave him slow, slurry and unable to connect with his talent within. He may have been sitting on the drum stool, but he was so stoned that to all intents and purposes he wasn't really even there. Don't judge him on that performance, listen to and watch some of his earlier work.

The only drummer I have heard that can possibly equal Keith back in his heyday .... is Zak Starkey.

Any comments anyone?!!

I agree with you 150% .......except Zak Starkey is the closest one to be in The Who, but he still plays the traditional perfect snare beats which annoys me :)
In fact I just saw The Who Live in Boston (1982), Kenny Jones seems so sloppy and I was expecting him to do the rolls that Keith did during the songs especially "My Generation" and he just plays simply!!! Eminence Front drum playing is no Keith Moon Play!!!! Its just steady beats which anyone can play easily, I think.

Another way he was unique; he followed the lead/rhythm guitar of Pete Townsend on most songs....he played along to the timing of the melody much more than any other drummer I've heard.

I remember hearing songs like "Can't Explain" and "Happy Jack" when I was just starting to get into drums and just going NUTS! I would air drum Keith's parts even before I had a kit. You know a drummer's good when they make you have such a pronounced reaction.

I totally agree man even after 4 years of drumming keith moon is still and always will be my main influence and cant explain is my favourite song to air drum to

The drummer on Emminence Front is 5,000 times better than Keith Moon's best day. (ok, slight hyperbole, but still, you all get my point I hope.)

A little restraint goes a long way. Yes, even in Rock 'n Roll.

dont be so stupid kenny jones was so wrong for the who it was like getting ringo starr to play for iron maiden no offence to ringo, kenny jones isn't even good enough to hold keith moons drum sticks never mind play in the same band that he was in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

Quote:Really? I'm very interested in hearing your sources for that story.

Answer: I also read this in a magazine issu dedicated to zeppelin, they interviewed all of the members and Carmine Appice and they said it was true.

As I recall, Bonham played with the two bass drums until the rest of the band removed the other one and hid it, because there was too much going on! JPJ said he had enough trouble keeping up with one bass drum, let alone two.

Keith Moon may not have been technically perfect, but he was one of the most expressive drummers in rock in the 70s. You can always hear it's him, too.

Back