Using a module with a drum pad for sound clips.

DerekCarnes

Hey guys,

I've had this question for awhile. My band uses sound clips live for our bass drops, etc. Well I bought my guitarist a loop pedal, and that's how we use our them now. I've wanted to get a Roland SPD-S, but they're just too expensive. I've heard about people using a module and a electric drum pad to do sound clips with. I really just want to do this so I can hit the bass drops and my guitarist doesn't have to bend down at times to change the clip. Any suggestions? Because I want the best, and cheapest way to do this. Thanks!

The Alesis Sample Pad is the best thing going for easy, convenient and inexpensive sample playback. It's a standalone unit with 4 pads and one trigger/pad/pedal input, so up to 5 sounds are available for each preset (there are only 8 presets though.) Sample length can be up to 10mb, but the total available per preset is 14mb. It plays .wav files of assorted resolutions (16/44.1, 32,500, 22,050, etc) so you can conserve memory on sounds that don't need to be so crisp, like the bass. Samples are loaded via an SD card, and the unit has 25 basic drum & percussion sounds already.

You may think 14mb is pretty small by today's standards, but that's almost 3 minutes of CD-quality sounds. For drum hits and other short-ish samples, that's plenty.

The only possible drawback is that it only plays mono samples.

But at $200, nothing else even comes close!

Bermuda

nice! i haven't seen that yet! it has an extra input too! and midi out this is bad ass for 200 bucks, by far the best way to go without a brain and computer.

... by far the best way to go without a brain and computer.

Hmm, I smell an ad campaign: "If you don't have a brain, this is the pad for you!"

Seriously, Alesis has always made products that make electronics more user-friendly, and more affordable. The rebirth of the brand a few years ago brings that same goal, and the SamplePad is no exception. I've got one and it's great!

Bermuda

Back