Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,
My old drumming pal Elliott Henshaw tells me you're doing the Buddy Rich 25th Memorial concert, along with Dave Weckl & Gregg Bisonnette. Do you know what tunes you're going to play - do you get to pick them? Not sure that I can make it, but hoping it will be recorded?!

Loving the O5Ric albums + the Rhythmic Designs book/dvd I got in Cleveland last summer. It's an amazing piece of work! All the best.

Hi,
I'm an old drummer (60+) and grew up listening to greats such as Cobham, Bruford, Gadd, Bozzio. I don't listen to much music anymore at all, it all seems to sound the same for some reason. In the past 2 years, people have bought me 3 CDs, 2 of them were PT. I've been a fan of your drumming since I first heard you, around 2006. You are one of the very few drummers that I feel are pushing the drumming envelope, if you will, raw talent combined with the need to explore your own abilities.
My question,,when are you going to take the next step? You hint at melodic play, but avoid things like harmonic playing on the set, scale usage, melodic playing with the bass..
You are amazing, with great skill. It seems like this would be the direction to go next.

Hi I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

Dying to see you play, keep it up :).

By the way, why is askgavinharrison.com down ;(?

Hi I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

Dying to see you play, keep it up :).

By the way, why is askgavinharrison.com down ;(?

Hm, You've right it's down. I'll contact the author. Thanks for noticing.

Hi Gavin!

I'm currently in the market for a new double kick pedal, Ive tried and I really like the Tama Speedcobra. Its a great pedal for the price. But my question is what made you make the switch from Axis to Tama, what impressed you the most about the Tama, and what other pedals were you considering to use on your main set-up?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing you with PT soon.

Greg.

Hi Gus

Excellent your new cd with Ric. I love the tom sound, and how you played them. Also love the ride cymbal sound. Is it the prototype you discussed on your RD dvd?

thanks - I used a few different rides on the album - mainly a 21" Constantinople Big Band ride and a 22" Crash Of Doom prototype (as a ride).

Hi richkenyon

My old drumming pal Elliott Henshaw tells me you're doing the Buddy Rich 25th Memorial concert, along with Dave Weckl & Gregg Bisonnette. Do you know what tunes you're going to play - do you get to pick them? Not sure that I can make it, but hoping it will be recorded?!

Yes I will be doing that show. I did get to pick the tunes - and probably it's best if I don't announce them for anyone who is coming to the show. There is a rumour of it getting filmed but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Hi jimtyler

My question,,when are you going to take the next step? You hint at melodic play, but avoid things like harmonic playing on the set, scale usage, melodic playing with the bass..

I don't really want to get into tuning the drums for the key of the song - that would be difficult and pretty limiting. I am currently practising on my new marimba. Now there's a challenge!!

Hi Meksyk

I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

No - it's just Steve and his band - touring the next leg of his "Grace For Drowning" solo project.

Hi IceMonster

I'm currently in the market for a new double kick pedal, Ive tried and I really like the Tama Speedcobra. Its a great pedal for the price. But my question is what made you make the switch from Axis to Tama, what impressed you the most about the Tama, and what other pedals were you considering to use on your main set-up?

I happily played the Axis Longboards for 9 years and they are great pedals. Tama sent me the new SpeedCobras to try and I really liked them. I wasn't looking to change nor did I try any other pedals. I found the SpeedCobras to have more power - so I felt like I was only using half the energy to make the same volume - and it's always better to have some energy and power in reserve. I can't play any faster on these than I could on the Axis pedals but I like the feel of the Tamas a lot.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I've got a couple questions about the new signature sticks from vic firth.

1: Why Blue grip? not red or any other color?

2: How do they feel compared to the Rock model? (I play that model for heavier stuff and pad use) I mean, do they have more bounce? ect? I'd like to know becouse we don't have any in stores near me. So maybe i'll order them.

Thanks to Richard Holland and Vladimir for keeping this going and updated

http://askgavinharrison.com/

Hi Roger//

I've got a couple questions about the new signature sticks from vic firth.
1: Why Blue grip? not red or any other color?

I noticed that Blue had not been used before whereas there's a lot of Vic Firth's sticks already out there with the red grip.

2: How do they feel compared to the Rock model? (I play that model for heavier stuff and pad use) I mean, do they have more bounce? ect?

I played the "Rock" model for a few years and (in my opinion) my signature stick is better balanced (for me anyway). You'd need to play them side by side to really feel the differences.

cheers
Gavin

Dear Gavin,

hope you're fine. Heard the new OSI album's stream and it's super, looking forward to it.

I'm here for an advice of yours really. I've got a little problem with developing my single bass pedal abilities. I do have a Sonor kit and the pedal was included with the kit. It is this one I have - http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/...link-n_katid=109&a-quicklink-n_artikelid=4569. The problem I've got is that I cannot quite normally learn and get comfortable playing bass drum fast and accurate. I've also got a problem with tuning the head. I know that you have a large and heavy pillow inside your bass drum. Have you always had pillows inside your bass drums? Have you had them when you were playing single bass pedal in the old days? I do also have a semi heavy pillow in my bass drum and it feels good, as you said in the PASIC clinic that it feels that you are playing on a quite hard surface. My biggest problem is that I cannot accurately perform multiple strokes on my bass drum and I don't know what is the main problem (of course it can that I've just played not much because I've been playing on a drumset for less than 2 years). Is it because it is hard to do that because the head is hard because of the pillow and the pedal do not get enough rebound from the head? Or is it something in the settings of the pedal. Did you have any experience with these cheap entry-level Sonor pedals? Do you think I should consider switching do better and more professional pedals? In your opinion, how do think that the quality and level of a pedal can effect on drummer's abilities to play fast, solid and accurate? Could you tell me please how tight do you tighten the spring tension on your pedals? Could you tell me how low or how high do you raise your throne? How long did it take you to become very experienced in getting the best feeling on the foot when hitting the bass drum? Because it is not just about getting the right sound but also about getting a good feeling right?

I am very grateful for your support to young and starting drummers like me. Thank you Gavin and I wish you all the best.

PS.: sorry for so many questions.

Gavin,

Do you still use Safe-hoops (S-hoops) on your toms? If you do, or when you did, where did you find the 10" 5-hole version? Do you know where I could get a set for my 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 Delites?

Thanks

Gavin,

Do you know of any plans to release a 'live recording' from one of the Incident shows sometime this year?

Thank you for reading

Hey Gavin,

I remember a while back (at least a year ago) there was a website with a series of interviews with you. It was just a list of audio samples (probably about 20-30) with interviews with you and what sounded like the same guy on all of them. I might just be crazy, but do you remember what I'm talking about? If so, do you remember the website?

Thanks

Hi Gavin!

I know you're using the MD421 mics on your toms right?
I bought to MD421 (old version) on ebay and they sound great and my floortoms.
But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them.
Do you have any tips how to reduce that?
Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

Do you have those problems too??

Thanks in Advance
David

Hi Gavin!

But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them.
Do you have any tips how to reduce that?
Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

Thanks in Advance
David

1/ downwards angle placement towards the centre of the head
2/ exchange for hypercardoid mic's
3/ gaffer tape (wonderful stuff:))
4/ lift cymbals

BTW, very obviously, I'm not Gavin ;)

Hi Gavin.

That's my first time in this Forum. My name is Roberto, am from Mexico, I realy hope you are doing fine. Am a drummer, and i have to say that you are the most influence drummer in my carrier. I really admire and respect your music and carrier. i have a lot of questions to you, but the most important question right now, is.. what about you little custom bells, up of your hi-hats. That's are a custom bells, i know but, that bells was made by your self? if it is like this, what kind of cymbals you cut to get this sound in the custom bells?

Thanks so much for your time.

Greetings.

Last edited:
Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a little problem with developing my single bass pedal abilities. I do have a Sonor kit and the pedal was included with the kit. It is this one I have - http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...artikelid=4569. The problem I've got is that I cannot quite normally learn and get comfortable playing bass drum fast and accurate.

playing accurate bass drum patterns takes a really long time - I wouldn't worry about playing fast.

I've also got a problem with tuning the head. I know that you have a large and heavy pillow inside your bass drum. Have you always had pillows inside your bass drums? Have you had them when you were playing single bass pedal in the old days?

yes

Is it because it is hard to do that because the head is hard because of the pillow and the pedal do not get enough rebound from the head?

there's very little rebound from my bass drum head.

Or is it something in the settings of the pedal. Did you have any experience with these cheap entry-level Sonor pedals? Do you think I should consider switching do better and more professional pedals? In your opinion, how do think that the quality and level of a pedal can effect on drummer's abilities to play fast, solid and accurate?

I know those pedals but I haven't played them much. If you've been playing less than two years you just need to practise on slow accuracy. Don't get freaked out by kids on YouTube who can play at ridiculous speeds. Good pedals can make a difference but nowhere near the amount of difference that having good technique can have.

Could you tell me please how tight do you tighten the spring tension on your pedals? Could you tell me how low or how high do you raise your throne? How long did it take you to become very experienced in getting the best feeling on the foot when hitting the bass drum? Because it is not just about getting the right sound but also about getting a good feeling right?

It sounds like you're frustrated with your lack of ability on the pedal. All the settings don't really matter. Sit at a height that makes you feel comfortable - and set the pedal to a 'medium' setting (basically not too loose or too tight) and do lots of practise with it. The development of your feet take ten times longer than the development of your hands.

Hi formula428

Do you still use Safe-hoops (S-hoops) on your toms? If you do, or when you did, where did you find the 10" 5-hole version? Do you know where I could get a set for my 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 Delites?

yes I have them on my toms and years ago they used to make a 5 hole 10" hoop. I can see there's a few hoop variations they don't offer. 8 hole 12" for snare drums would be nice too. I don't know where you can find them now.

Hi gibeachhead

Do you know of any plans to release a 'live recording' from one of the Incident shows sometime this year?

we do have some recordings of some live shows from that tour and we are thinking about it.

Hi pixelbreaker

I remember a while back (at least a year ago) there was a website with a series of interviews with you. It was just a list of audio samples (probably about 20-30) with interviews with you and what sounded like the same guy on all of them. I might just be crazy, but do you remember what I'm talking about? If so, do you remember the website?

I don't remember ever seeing that. There's some interviews on the Vic Firth site - but I don't think that's what you mean.

Hi Kalma

But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them. Do you have any tips how to reduce that? Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

yes I've been using MD421 on my toms. I'm not aware of them picking up excessive amounts of spill. Of course in isolation I can hear all the other drums and cymbals from every mic - but that's to be expected. If I put a lot of high frequency EQ on any of the mics then it will start to attract the cymbals.

cheers
Gavin

yes I've been using MD421 on my toms. I'm not aware of them picking up excessive amounts of spill. Of course in isolation I can hear all the other drums and cymbals from every mic - but that's to be expected. If I put a lot of high frequency EQ on any of the mics then it will start to attract the cymbals.

Thanks for your answer!

Here's a little snippet from my 14" Drum Mic. No EQ or something:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17340676/tom14.mp3

Is this the amount you also have on those mics when you haven't edited anything?

And btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlq4Yl8qXY&feature=related
On 0:48 - what's that above your 16" tom mic?

Thanks!
David

Last edited:
Back