What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

In 4th grade we had to choose an instrument to play, and I chose drums.
I dont really know why, but Im glad I did :p

Re: the "how" thread

Music- Metallica

Drummer- Lars Ulrich, and very recently Ive taken a huge liking to Neil Peart, now that I can play well enough to play some of his parts.

Person- My 8th grade band teacher and a kid named mark go me into playing on the set. From 4th to 7th grade was strictly symphonic band type playing =P

Style- Heavy Metal / Hard Rock. But mainly, my own style.

Inspirations- Neil Pearts O Baterista. Everytime I see it I go DAMN ive got a long ways to go!!

Music- Femme Fatale, Black Cat #13, Standing 8, Death From Above, Rush, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, and so on.

Drummer- Sebastien Grainger, Niel Peart, Max Weinberg.

Person- Parents for buying me my first set.

Style- Rock, HardRock, Drum and Bass, Anything really fun (nothing too slow).

Inspirations- Cousin and I wanted to start a band for a while, so I asked for drums for Christmas, got then, and 2 years later I'm still playing. When we started our band, the guitarist (my cousin) was already amazing, and my bassist (best friend) was one of the best bass players in my town. I decided to bring myself up to their level, and now I think I surpass them.

Music- Genesis. I saw them live in '92 at Knebworth. Chester Thompson and Phil Collins do a drum duet. You can find it on either of thier pages on DW. I have a diverse rangle of musical tastes...anything from Pantera to The Police. I used to DJ also and done a lot of house, techno, drum 'n' bass and hip hop sets at partys/small clubs.

Drummer- Phil Collins & Chester Thompson as mentioned above. After seeing them and the roar it got from the crowd I started drum lessons 3 weeks later at school.

Person- I would say my mum and dad as they supported me, bought me my first kit (which I still own) and dad helped me transport my gear around during my early gigging days.

Style- Anything with a groove. my first teacher was more geared towards latin/jazz/funk so his emphasis on the groove was paramount in shaping me. I also like playing rock and drum 'n' bass type stuff. I have been told that I have a solid groove and play like a natural. In some ways I think that hinders my technical ability but i'm getting to grips with playing faster and more complicated stuff with practice. I also play the bass and keyboard and have been writing a lot of my own material using them as it allows me to write rhythmicly.

Inspirations- All of the great drummers. I try and keep an open mind as somethings that certain types of drummers do cross over into other styles. But I would say the people I draw the most from are Jo Jo Mayer, Stewart Copeland, Jeff Pocaro, Steve Gadd, Brad Wilk, Matt Cameron and Neil Peart

The bands that I listened to as a child all had good drummers:

The Who
YES
King Crimson
Little Feat
ELP

Discovering RUSH in 1978 closed the deal for me.

Seeing their 30th tour sent me to the drum store.

For me, because it is really really fun, and never gets old. I'm constantly the ONLY guy in my bands/projects that wants to play another set, or add another gig.

Yeah, I hate setting up tearing down, but it still is worth the hassle.

The Brian Downey drum solo on "Sha-La-La-La",from Thin Lizzys "Live and Dangerous" album.....Brilliant!!!its just made it for me....

and i wanted to play as a kid...but i could only get a kit when we moved to a bigger house....so i had to start at 15.....i wish i had have started younger....but then again i wonder if i had started as a kid would i still have this much enthusiasm?

i quit the piano after playing it for about 4 years. mum MADE me take up another instrument, and i figured the world had enough guitarists. my drum teacher (also my pastor's son) made me realise how cool the drums were, and i got passionate and dedicated, to the extent i still continued to play drums without being allowed a drum kit for myself. that was four years ago. now i got a kit for b'day/xmas! am proud to be a drummer

Listening to my fav music

Listening to Deep Purple for the first time. Ian Paice blew me away (still does). Then Neil Pearts solo on All the Worlds a Stage and then Don Brewer on We're an American Band (whole album). It just took from there. Ciao Rich The Builder

Builder said:
Listening to Deep Purple for the first time. Ian Paice blew me away (still does). Don Brewer on We're an American Band (whole album).

Yeah...I remember during my younger days...it's was 70s. Whenever me & my friends(all bikers) listens to "Smoke On The Water" .... we were indeed getting high Smoking On The Water ....It's a Rocker's World those days...I had mine.

Smoke on the Water, One of my favorites. Ian is so smoothe. Don Brewer was just...whoa. His triples were almost inhuman. Carl Palmer, the rudiment king. And then there is Neil (bows before the all mighty). Ciao Builder

What Influence You To Become A Drummer ???

Back in 1986, i think my very first reason to become a drummer at the age of 8, is a guy here in Canada name: Paul Brochu (drum: Gino Vanelli, Alain Caron, Uzeb and many more...) He also endorse Yamaha drums, Paiste Cymbals, Shure mics.
he become a couples of years later my drum teacher in college.

I think it was the speed that different drummers can achieve behind the kit and also the fact that my grandfather used to say to me that: "It's acceptable to do a certain activity for how long as you please, as long as you don't get worse at doing that specific activity".

And that was the first two moments that drove me to seek and destroy the drumkit.

For me it was a man named John Henry Bonham...

My dad made me listen to all the classic rock bands, then when i was about 10 he started makin me listen to jazz. I always loved music, but i just adored live drum solos, mainly because it was really proof of talent, and I really wanted to be able to do that. So then i got a drum set, and started to teach myself everything from metal to jazz, and i still love it.

Always loved music and started on guitar at 8. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by Stewart Copeland changed me forever. It's off the album Ghost In The Machine which is still a favourite album of mine and got me into reggae.
I couldn't get over the sound of the Copeland snare and all his crisp brilliant playing, HH's etc. After a few weeks of his sound going 'round my brain I gave in and began the awful reality of learning to hold my sticks properly.

A bit older now and happy just to groove and study Gadd the Godfather, Sly Dunbar, Jeff Porcaro, Andy Newmark. All a bit less rushed these days, feels good.

Luv yis, thanks for all the info in this forum, you're a grand bunch.

I was always hitting pots and pans when I was growing up. My uncle was a drummer and always tried to get me to start. When I first went to band the director asked me “so……what instrument do you want to play?”. I told him that I want to play the drums! When he asked why I told “because I like to hit things”! I have been playing ever sence!
Kzdruma

Music- The very first one was a song from the New Life Choire that was recorded at TEMA mission in Lausanne back in 1983 that had an outstanding but simple intro with the drum. I use to listen it when I was 4 years old. Then the first bands that got me wanting to finally start it was The Offspring, Eels and Massive Attack.

Drummer- Well the first ones had to be then Ron Welty, Butch and Andy Gangadeen.
Currently it have to be Tim Alexander, Danny Carey, Jimmy Chamberlin, Michael Giles, Ian Paice and so many others...

Person- My Sister for showing me for the first time when I was 4 what was a drumkit. Then my parents to pay lessons and rent my drum kit. Finally my drum teacher.

Style- Please let me know what you think about it !

Inspirations- My band called "Mahogany" with who I share the same passion for music and creating some since 2001.

Back