Mitch Mitchell

Hendrix told MM what to play...where he wanted the kick and snare. Hendrix heard in his head how the drums should lock in with the guitar and MM was cool with JH "charting" his parts for him. MM had a ton of latitude, but JH laid out the "blueprint."

Mitch Mitchell dead at 61.

Just found out that Mitch Mitchell was found dead in a hotel room in Portland.
I'm sad to hear that. I saw him with Hendrix in Raleigh. He was playing a double-bass George Hayman kit.
He was sort of the missing link between my rock and jazz records. As a kid I copied a lot of his stuff off the Hendrix albums.
Well, so long Mitch.

Last edited:
Re: Mitch Mitchell dead at 61.

That just totally bums me out he was one of my favorite drummers.the original Hendrix exp. are finally back together.Such a cool drummer he will be missed.

RIP

Bonzolead

That is really, really sad news. He influenced so many drummers that came up not only during his tenure but in the years since. I remember seeing him in old videos. He just looked like this young, brash and confident drummer playing some wicked stuff.

"Fire" will always be one of the great rock-n-roll drumming songs. Who doesn't like playing along with that?

RIP Mitch. Thanks for giving us some great music.

Wow... Mitch Mitchell was a huge inspiration for me. that is sad news. 61 is way to young.

One of the first drummers I ever drew inspiration from and I still regularly bust out some of the tunes. The news is sad, but not wholly unexpected. His body of work is immortalised in the influence he, and the rest of the experience have had on music since their demise. As such, his death, whilst sad, is not in vain.

Oh no... Mitch is the reason I got into jazz, one of my reasons why I got into drumming as a whole and though my opinions on him have changed I still site him as an inspiration.

RIP Mitch - you will be truly missed. :(

Very sad to hear that! He was one of my favorite drummers.
Rest in peace brother.

SADEST POSSIBLE NEWS .... my favorite drummer for many years...

Bernhard

_____

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his Portland hotel room early Wednesday. He was 61.

Mitchell was a powerful force on "Are You Experienced?" the 1967 debut album of the Hendrix band. He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression."

The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast portion of the tour.

Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bass player for the trio, died in 2003.

A Benson Hotel employee called police after discovering Mitchell's body, said Sgt. Brian Schmautz.

Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned for Wednesday afternoon.

Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day vacation and planned to leave Wednesday.

"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."

He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.

Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix - like Mitchell - and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.

Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience in the 1960s and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, Merlis said.

"If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."

Mitchell played for numerous other bands but was best known for his work in the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992.

According to the Hall of Fame, he was born July 9, 1947 in Ealing, England.

Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1996, according to the Hall of Fame's Web site.

In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."

"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."

Last edited:

Oh...bad news. He always has been and still is a big inspiration to me, may he rest in peace.

Sad news. He inspired a lot of drummers. They sure have one hell of a band in rock & roll heaven now!

RIP

That is very sad news. He was an inspiration to me, that's for sure. Way too young at 61.

RIP Mitch

In MD's Drum Gods II this summer (spring?) Mitchell was one of the "25 Legendary Talents who Changed Drumming."

Mitch's article is titled Freedom, Sweet Freedom with great picture of him on pg 63.

So long.

Re: Mitch Mitchell RIP

The last member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and one helluva drummer!!

Well, such sad news but fortunately we have his legacy to remind us of what he's done in his life.

There's going to be one BIG reunion gig tonight in Heaven. Where all of them are young, vibrant, healthy and playing the best they ever have. It will be glorious! Listen and see if you hear the thunder.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081112/...mitch_mitchell

Drummer for Jimi Hendrix found dead

By MARY HUDETZ, Associated Press Writer
22 mins ago
PORTLAND, Ore. – Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his hotel room early Wednesday. He was 61.
Mitchell was a powerful force on "Are You Experienced?" the 1967 debut album of the Hendrix band. He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression."
The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.
Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bass player for the trio, died in 2003.
An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body.
Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned.
Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day vacation and planned to leave Wednesday.
"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."
He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.
Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix — like Mitchell — and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.
Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, Merlis said. "If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."
Mitchell played for numerous other bands but was best known for his work in the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992.
According to the Hall of Fame, he was born July 9, 1947, in Ealing, England.
Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1996, according to the Hall of Fame's Web site.
In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."
"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."

this is sad :(

Back