Eric Clapton Hearing Woes

I remember reading that Delaney, from Delaney and Bonnie, played like one time with Derek and the Dominos live and it was just too loud for him and he didn't do it again. You gotta protect them ears!

I am sure there are more music professionals with sound-induced hearing loss than the public is aware of. After all, a lot of people would see that as a weakness and might not want to open up about it.

We are still learning about protecting our ears and even the technology and especially the education that we have now has a long way to go before the younger generations are being protected.

PGM554; do you have any more information on this product. Of course, this would be groundbreaking.

Wear ear protection kids, it is the cool thing to do nowadays.

Loosing your hearing 'is not' cool, especially since you don't have to.

Alex Van Halen- 80% loss in one, deaf in the other, there's others too.

Wear ear protection kids, it is the cool thing to do nowadays.

Loosing your hearing 'is not' cool, especially since you don't have to.

Alex Van Halen- 80% loss in one, deaf in the other, there's others too.

Unfortunately, as cheap in-ear "headphones" became the norm with the arrival of the Ipod and subsequently smart-phones, you see half the population now walking around with them in their ears. Not a good sign of things to come.

As an avid headphone user I have always been careful in my selection of model (admittedly more for the sound quality).

After 10 years I just changed from the supra-aural type (phones sit "on" the ears) to the circum-aural type (phones sit around the ears/cover them). I'm noticing drastically less "ear fatigue".
Of course this model is even bigger and bulkier than the previous one.

So, try explaining to kids (and adults) that paying 150€ for a bulky, plain black pair of Beyerdynamic headphones that will make you look like a robotic princess Leia is much cooler than wearing those trendy white Apple in-ear phones that came with their I-phone or whatever....

I reckon that it's a lost cause.

When I was at school, we had three people from Alcoholics Anonymous visit us to tell us about the dangers of alcohol.

Maybe Alex Van Halen should be touring schools instead of stadiums now to explain about the dangers of hearing loss...

Another +1 for the importance of hearing protection.

That should be the first thing recommended as a must have for beginners, even ahead of buying your first pair of sticks.

Wow I didnt know that about AVH, aw that sucks! I love his drumming, love me some old Van Halen. Damn...protect ur ears everyone!

The fans gotta watch out too. Went to Sooooo many metal concerts in the 80s. And my buddy Randy always wanted to stand next to the speaker stacks on the left side (stage right). Lost 25% of the hearing in my bleeping left ear!

Back