Cozy Powell

I really like this kit that he played while in Rainbow. Notice the Mach lugs on the toms. Acording to the Paiste cymbal book he used a 24" 2002 Ride.

Attachments

• 080214.jpg
    080214.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21,553
I really like this kit that he played while in Rainbow. Notice the Mach lugs on the toms. Acording to the Paiste cymbal book he used a 24" 2002 Ride.

Cozy played amazing drumming with Rainbow. The drum solo intro in "Stargazer" is aggressive. I particularly like his cymbals placement, great picture - thanks for sharing it.

Hehehe. I love the leather vest and the perfectly timed dramatic hair flip at the beginning. Neat that he played along with something from The Planets. Isn't that Mars?

"stargazer" is amazing....but my personal favorite is
a light in the black" from the same album....the power in that song is unbelievable....cozy was one of my biggest influences when i started drumming, and is still an inspiration today....
it's almost like he never left..........

"stargazer" is amazing....but my personal favorite is
a light in the black" from the same album....the power in that song is unbelievable....cozy was one of my biggest influences when i started drumming, and is still an inspiration today....
it's almost like he never left..........

It's excellent to recognize Cozy Powell's drumming legacy and to bring his work back to light and surface.

Thanks,

Sort of bringing this thread back to life, but it's for a worthy cause... Also, my first post here. So, hello!

Cozy Powell is one of my favorite drummers of all time.

Modern Drummer magazine is taking votes for their annual reader's poll, and one of the categories, as you probably know, is for their Hall of Fame. I've been calling for voters all over youtube, myspace, and facebook to vote for Cozy Powell, and now I'm here to do the same.

Cozy's impact on rock drumming is immeasurable. He justly deserves some recognition, and I hope that you'll feel the same. Go to moderndrummer.com and click the Who Rules? link to cast your vote. Thanks everyone!

RIP Cozy!

When I was a small kid, growing up in England, I saw Cozy doing his hit single 'Dance With The Devil' on the televison and it was the most exciting thing I'd ever heard.

It was years before I played drums - but obviously played a part in pointing me in that direction.

I recently heard Dance With The Devil for the first time in years - and it still sounds great.
Not technically demanding by today's standards - but still really exciting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR5EDH-rMo&feature=related

New to the forum, just wanted to chime in and say that Cozy is one of my favorite drummers of all time. Such power, taste, and skill... He helped shape modern rock drumming!

Modern Drummer is gathering votes for their annual reader's poll, and I hope all of you will go to their web-site and vote for Cozy to be induced into the Hall of Fame!

I remember seeing him with Whitesnake, and a couple years later with Emersen, Lake, and Powell - that show was amazing! He would've been great in Led Zep. Oh well.

I remember seeing him with Whitesnake, and a couple years later with Emersen, Lake, and Powell - that show was amazing! He would've been great in Led Zep. Oh well.

Wow, that is cool you got to see him. He definitely would have taken Led Zeppelin in new directions. Powell wasn't as nuanced a player as Bonham, but he is more driving and the double bass work would have been an awesome addition.

Listen to the song "Stargazer" that is Cozy's raw power.
Speaking of double bass drum work, he really knew how to used them, did not fill every hole in the song....that only comes from professional drummers, and Cozy was a great one!!!

Cozy was one of the most powerful drummers in rock history!!.

The intro for "Stargazer" makes me shiver!. He also knew how to be dynamic,just listen to his work with Jeff Beck.

His early 70's "Glam Rock" singles were kinda cool too, "Na Na Na" and the memorable "Dancing With The Devil" (I think I'll do a video playing with that song,such amazing tribal beats!).
His double bass patterns and powerful steady rock grooves are just outstanding,I really miss that kind of drummer nowadays!.

RIP cozy!.

Cozy and Phil Collins did some nice stuff on Robert Plants first solo project, "Pictures At Eleven."

One of the records I drummed when I was 18! Cozy toured England with Plant to promote that album that year (I think 84)

He was one of the greatest pros in the business, and those in the business who knew him, loved him. I know Graham Bonnet well, personally for about 25 years and he loved him and said him and Don Airey were his best bandmates, Ronnie Dio once told me he was the sweetest guy you could meet, and even Michael Schenker smiled broadly when I met him after a gig and mentioned Cozy to him. (Michael is not a big talker.) I miss him every time I hear those bass rolls following the snare snaps he did so well. His drums and his cymbals were B I G and his sound cut through and he SWUNG!

RIP Cozy!

Cozy´s drumming spirit remains among us...Cozy lives!

Attachments

• Cozy.jpg
    Cozy.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 552
Yes indeed - names were mentioned after Bonham´s death, such as Cozy - Carmine - Paice...Cozy could it done an excellent job back then with Zeppelin.

He would've been great in Led Zep. Oh well.

Yes indeed - names were mentioned after Bonham´s death, such as Cozy - Carmine - Paice...Cozy could it done an excellent job back then with Zeppelin.

I agreed Ian but only if they'd meshed well, you can put the best musicians together but if they don't. have any chemistry it might as well as never have happened.

Bonzolead

True and filling the shoes of our dear Bonham Sr., it´s a complete challenge to any candidate / professional drummer! You know...That Bonzo feel is something else!

I agreed Ian but only if they'd meshed well, you can put the best musicians together but if they don't. have any chemistry it might as well as never have happened.

Bonzolead

Back