Phil Maturano here!

Hello again, thanks to all of you that wrote in from Miami.

It looks like the lessons are going to be at Resurrection drums. We have everything there. Complete set up with Latin percussion as well. So we can dig in deep.

http://www.rezdrums.com/

Jeff over there is setting up the day so you can write to me still, or call the shop

Looking forward to meeting you down there.

Phil M.

hi phil.

iam recently thinking about concepts on how to dig in playing with click and i like to know what do you think about that? how to practice or what to practice?
i have the new breed book, and i thought maybe you can share some of your expirience of that.
like i mean, what you think is crucial for that?

hope you are doing well, and iam going to be in düsseldorf!!
enjoy your day!
greets stefan!

Certainly did Phil, great solo as expected : )

Some questions:

Were the sticks very loose in your hands during the snare part of the solo phrases ?

Have you always sat this high? If no, what made you adjust upwards?

The ostinatos on the hat - are you playing those with your toe way up against the nose of the hat - pedal?

Thanks.The drums sounded great , by the way.

Hey bro, Glad you liked it.

I imagine the snare part of the solo is the beginning? I always try to keep my grip as loose as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes emotion might take over. Most of the time if my grip is not loose I do not get the speed needed. I use as much rebound as possible and let the phrases come from movements rather then stickings. This helps keep my grip loose.

Seat height i tend to adjust according to the gig. If its a gig where I have to do lots of L foot clave or DB...I sit higher. Funk and jazz...lower. Also...I was having knee trouble years ago from so many years behind the kit. I mentioned it to Stan at Pro drum in LA and he heard the same story from many drummers since he opened the shop! The general view he got from the collective research into this, was that the cartilage in the knee wears out if you stay playing in the same position. Attacking the angle of the knee wears out the cartilage more evenly. I guess this cartilage does not grow back as time passes. So when it wears out the bones start rubbing together and ouuucchh! So thats why I sit at different positions. I have been fine since the position changes and that has been around 10 years now.

HI hat position is usually pretty forward...near the first tom more then closer to the body.
I play the pedal according to whatever effect is needed.
I hope that helps and thanks for watching.
Big Hugs
PM

Phil,

Es Jesus! Como andas? We met in NYC! Recuerdas? Dude, just want some advice from you, in your dvd you make an exercise where you play the clave in your left foot and two on the feet and two on the hands, could you give me some advice to achive this independence exercise?

Todo lo mejor para ti! Espero que toda vaya bien! All the best!

Jesus

That some pretty good pearls of wisdom, Phil, thanks for the answers
I use as much rebound as possible and let the phrases come from movements rather then stickings.
Something I do when I play but need to remind my self of when I perform
Seat height i tend to adjust according to the gig. If its a gig where I have to do lots of L foot clave or DB...I sit higher. Funk and jazz...lower.

Understand, lotsa foot action for clave.. why lower for funk/jazz?

the cartilage in the knee wears out if you stay playing in the same position. Attacking the angle of the knee wears out the cartilage more evenly.

Was wondering about that...

Thanks again, Phil

Phil,

Es Jesus! Como andas? We met in NYC! Recuerdas? Dude, just want some advice from you, in your dvd you make an exercise where you play the clave in your left foot and two on the feet and two on the hands, could you give me some advice to achive this independence exercise?

Todo lo mejor para ti! Espero que toda vaya bien! All the best!

Jesus

Hey bro , of course remember.
What i did was to break every bar down by beats. Check out where the clave is landing, on what hand or on which bass drum beat. Loop each bar or beat until you can play it consistently then add the next beat and the next and then do the same with the next bar. Until you can play 2 bars without stopping. Do it over and over until it feels natural. Then move on to the next permutation. They will get easier as you master the process.
Hope that helps
Abrazos
PM

That some pretty good pearls of wisdom, Phil, thanks for the answers

Something I do when I play but need to remind my self of when I perform

Understand, lotsa foot action for clave.. why lower for funk/jazz?

Was wondering about that...

Thanks again, Phil

I do the funk lower because I feel it allows the use of the weight of the leg in addition to foot power. For jazz actually I might sit a little higher then Funk. I just learned to control the volume allot! hmmmm... and rock also around where the Funk Height is.

Sorry to go on about this Phil, I've kinda been obsessing over the right stool height/posture that allows me optimum foot action. Hence the weird questions.

I often find the same problems. I Sit low on the kit to really accent dynamically for funk for example, but this position doesn't allow me to comfortably do other things ( e.g. hat ostinatos - for that I need to sit higher )

So its one over the other. I end up with some back pain when I finish playing playing, because I've constantly been shifting in my seat, hunkering down for some stuff and sitting up high of other stuff..

My posture and arm positions are good, and I'm not a hard hitter. Anything thing I can look into, Dr. Phil? ; )

Thanks a ton.

Mostly heel up, but down for some of the BD pedal work ( like singles I'll play down, and heel up for faster doubles or triplets etc..)

Phil,

Muchas gracias! Thanks Man! I will have to practice that! Hey, you should come to Caracas sometime!!!

All the best!

Jesus

PD: Gonzalo Suarez sends his regards!

Mostly heel up, but down for some of the BD pedal work ( like singles I'll play down, and heel up for faster doubles or triplets etc..)

Well....sounds like it might not be a matter of the actual playing but a matter of your body. I think you should check out something i have been doing for some time now and find it extremely beneficial for drumming.

Pilates! Its really really a cool vibe and it has been helping to guard my back. Are you able to check it out?

PM

Phil,

Muchas gracias! Thanks Man! I will have to practice that! Hey, you should come to Caracas sometime!!!

All the best!

Jesus

PD: Gonzalo Suarez sends his regards!

I would love to bro. Coming soon is the Drummers Intensive day in Argentina. With Pete Lockett and Cliff Almond and J. Morelli. Maybe I can swing by then? Late October! Lets try to organize it!
Abrazo
PM

Drummers Intensive day!

Outline
The Drummers Intensive day was started to serve the needs of drummers across the globe. After 17 years of doing clinics on a worldwide basis, I know first hand that players still have a burning desire to learn and improve their craft. As we all know this learning process never stops, for any of us. The question is always...who to turn to, and how to get time with players that have vast experience in their particular field. How can we even find them when they are not in our area of the world? Dealing with scheduling conflicts and expenses of a 1 on 1 lesson can also be a hurdle. So to make our drumming and our drumming community stronger, the Drummers Intensive day was started.

Central Concept
The central concept of the "Drummers Intensive Day" is to provide students with playing time in front of some of the best players in the world. In a clinic setting we have the opportunity to see experienced players play, showcase equipment, give playing ideas and inspiration. But only 2 hours of watching someone play can leave lots of holes and questions. And of course there is no time for participants to get up and play and have feedback in any way. Maybe many drummers are also hesitant to ask questions because of fear or they are simply too shy. I found that this problem is overcome by putting sticks in that persons hands and saying..."lets hear where you are". This removes all inhibitions and lets us all share the joy of our journey in drumming. While getting the best advice from experienced players in a setting that is both constructive, musically safe and has the best outcome for the participant in mind.

What takes place?
In this 5 to 6 hour journey into drumming, the hosts will guide participants through the area in which they have outstanding expertise. Participants not only watch and learn but also take part! When you are at a Drummers intensive day...be ready to play! When you attend, you must be ready to play on drumset and in front of everyone at the event. You will play to backing tracks, and play along with the instructor. You will then receive feedback from them as well as your fellow participants. That is what makes this event unique. We have plenty of time to accommodate all questions and explore the subject matter at hand deeply and thoroughly.

Who's there?
On this day we will have Brush Master and all around wonderful drumming artist Clayton Cameron. Clayton Cameron has a dynamic career that has already crossed many barriers in the world of music. From Sammy Davis Jr. to Tony Bennett, Clayton continues to push the envelope of contemporary drumming and brushes to their very limits. His DVD "BrushWorks" is the 2007 Modern Drummer Magazine Poll Winner . He is a wonderful, drummer, teacher and most importantly, a kind and caring human being.
laob_cover240.jpg
cover.jpg

http://claytoncameron.com/

Phil Maturano...Thats me:) I will be handling the Latin stuff again and we will work out of my Book " Latin soloing for the drumset" and my DVD - "Afro Cuban Drumming"
book1-klein.jpg
HL_Afro-CubanDrummingmusicix.jpg

There might be more surprise guests but right now thats who is confirmed! I hope to see you all there and if you would like to attend, drop me an email...

[email protected]

I will email you the location, everything you need to prepare and bring etc.
The price of the event is $100.00 US - If you dont have my book "Latin soloing" You will get that and my new book "The Left foot clave system" -

Here are some reviews of the day from participants.

Hey Everyone!!!!!
I had to tell you guys that the Intensive Day was amazing!!!! Really intimate and TONS of knowledge and information given and taught. If you guys can make it to the next one please do!!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!! Phil's playing is incredible and his phrasing is something else (not to mention his independence LOL!!) Take care and God Bless.
Carlito

Phil is not only an incredible drummer and musician but a cool guy too. His Intensive day was great! Informative and fun. I would recommend his books and video to anyone. The Inner Clock stuff was challenging and the way the language of Latin (African-descended) rhythm was presented was brilliant. Phil doesn't show you a cheesy mambo pattern and leave it at that. He teaches his students how to understand and speak the language of african-descended rhythms so that they can truly communicate in this language. Did I mention that his latin soloing ability is on a par with anyone out there? Seriously, If you want to play this stuff, check out his materials.
Jeff

I had a really awesome time with Phil and the rest of the gang at the intensive day. It was VERY informative and getting a chance to play and be critiqued by Phil was really a good learning experience. I went into the day not knowing very much Latin material and about 6/8 time as it pertains to Latin rhythms. After coming out of that session, my drumming horizons are truly expanded tenfold. The books/materials we received were top notch and will last me for a very, very long time of study. If Phil has another intensive day like this I would highly recommend going. What an invaluable experience. Thank you Phil!
Dominick
------------------------------------------------------
Big hugs to all

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

Hey guys! I hope you will join me and Cliff Almond for these Drummers Intensive days in Germany. This is a rare chance to catch us both together since we happen to be on tour out there at the same time. Check out the banners below for contacts and details.
If you have any questions feel free to post on this thread and me or Cliff will answer asap!
See you there!
PM
kolndruminten-daycliff-phil2008copy.jpg
RECKINHAUSENdruminten-daycliff-phil.jpg

Drummers Intensive day!

Outline
The Drummers Intensive day was started to serve the needs of drummers across the globe. After 17 years of doing clinics on a worldwide basis, I know first hand that players still have a burning desire to learn and improve their craft. As we all know this learning process never stops, for any of us. The question is always...who to turn to, and how to get time with players that have vast experience in their particular field. How can we even find them when they are not in our area of the world? Dealing with scheduling conflicts and expenses of a 1 on 1 lesson can also be a hurdle. So to make our drumming and our drumming community stronger, the Drummers Intensive day was started.

Central Concept
The central concept of the "Drummers Intensive Day" is to provide students with playing time in front of some of the best players in the world. In a clinic setting we have the opportunity to see experienced players play, showcase equipment, give playing ideas and inspiration. But only 2 hours of watching someone play can leave lots of holes and questions. And of course there is no time for participants to get up and play and have feedback in any way. Maybe many drummers are also hesitant to ask questions because of fear or they are simply too shy. I found that this problem is overcome by putting sticks in that persons hands and saying..."lets hear where you are". This removes all inhibitions and lets us all share the joy of our journey in drumming. While getting the best advice from experienced players in a setting that is both constructive, musically safe and has the best outcome for the participant in mind.

What takes place?
In this 5 to 6 hour journey into drumming, the hosts will guide participants through the area in which they have outstanding expertise. Participants not only watch and learn but also take part! When you are at a Drummers intensive day...be ready to play! When you attend, you must be ready to play on drumset and in front of everyone at the event. You will play to backing tracks, and play along with the instructor. You will then receive feedback from them as well as your fellow participants. That is what makes this event unique. We have plenty of time to accommodate all questions and explore the subject matter at hand deeply and thoroughly.

Who's there?
On this day we will have one of the most exciting drummers in New York, Cliff Almond. His credit list is vast and well known. When Cliff was eighteen years old he attended PIT in Hollywood California and upon graduating returned to San Diego. He spent the next year practicing and playing in local venues, and occasionally teaching at PIT until the age of twenty. Soon after he was spotted by then Chick Corea Drummer, Dave Weckl who recommended Cliff to pianist Michel Camilo. Cliff Landed the gig at the age of 21 and began recording and touring with Camilo. Since this time Almond has gone on to perform/record with such artists as: Michael Brecker, Richard Bona, Bob Berg, Jeff Berlin, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Bunnie Brunell, Michel Camilo, The Commodores, Celia Cruz, Danish Radio Big Band, Paquito d'Rivera, John Faddis, Claire Fischer, Jeff Golub, Antonio Hart, Toninho Horta, Giovanni Hidalgo, Wayne Johnson, Yuka Kawamura, Ketama, Wayne Krantz, Manhattan Transfer, Eric Marienthal, Patti Labelle, Chuck Loeb, London Symphony Orchestra, Chris Minh Doky, Eddie Palmieri, John Patitucci, Tito Puente, Quruli, Bud Shank, Ricky Skaggs, Sounds of Blackness, Mike Stern, Terrance Blanchard, Clark Terry, Umo Jazz Orchestra (finland), Hikaru Utada, Dave Valentine, Victor Wooten, Akiko Yano, and others. An endorser of Yamaha Drums, Zildjian Cymbals, and Vic Firth Drumsticks, Cliff has been featured in various music publications throughout the world such as Modern Drummer Magazine (US), Sllagwerkkrant (Netherlands), Keyboard Magazine (Japan), Sound and Recording (Japan), and Drums Magazine(Japan). He has also performed on television and radio broadcasts throughout the US, Japan, Europe and the UK, including CBS Nightwatch, Austin City Limits, Evening at Pops, Prairie Home Companion and on various broadcasts for the BBC. In addition, Almond has also been involved as a producer/co-producer in a number of projects and continues to be active in playing, composition, and music production. Cliff Almond currently resides in New York City.

Check cliff out here!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxZXxlOFx8
www.cliffalmondmusic.com

Phil Maturano...Thats me:) I will be handling the Latin stuff again and we will work out of my Book " Latin soloing for the drumset" and my DVD - "Afro Cuban Drumming" and also "Working the inner clock"
book2-klein.jpg
book1-klein.jpg
HL_Afro-CubanDrummingmusicix.jpg

If you would like to attend, drop me an email...or our contacts on the banners.

[email protected]

We will email you the location, everything you need to prepare and bring etc.
The price of the event is 75E - You will also receive - my book "Latin soloing" and my new book "The Left foot clave system" -
You also receive 3 of Cliff's online lessons. Over 40E worth of study material!!! All included in the price of the day!! We say Intensive day because it's Intense!! :B/

Here are some reviews of the day from participants.

Hey Everyone!!!!!
I had to tell you guys that the Intensive Day was amazing!!!! Really intimate and TONS of knowledge and information given and taught. If you guys can make it to the next one please do!!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!! Phil's playing is incredible and his phrasing is something else (not to mention his independence LOL!!) Take care and God Bless.
Carlito

Phil is not only an incredible drummer and musician but a cool guy too. His Intensive day was great! Informative and fun. I would recommend his books and video to anyone. The Inner Clock stuff was challenging and the way the language of Latin (African-descended) rhythm was presented was brilliant. Phil doesn't show you a cheesy mambo pattern and leave it at that. He teaches his students how to understand and speak the language of african-descended rhythms so that they can truly communicate in this language. Did I mention that his latin soloing ability is on a par with anyone out there? Seriously, If you want to play this stuff, check out his materials.
Jeff

I had a really awesome time with Phil and the rest of the gang at the intensive day. It was VERY informative and getting a chance to play and be critiqued by Phil was really a good learning experience. I went into the day not knowing very much Latin material and about 6/8 time as it pertains to Latin rhythms. After coming out of that session, my drumming horizons are truly expanded tenfold. The books/materials we received were top notch and will last me for a very, very long time of study. If Phil has another intensive day like this I would highly recommend going. What an invaluable experience. Thank you Phil!
Dominick
------------------------------------------------------
Big hugs to all

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

For those of you writing in. The start times on Sunday will be 13:00 and Monday around 17:00

looking forward to seeing you there.
PM
________

Have a good time in Germany, Phil. I'm sure those attending will benefit GREATLY from your instruction.

And have some bratwurst and beer!

Dominick

Hola, Phil.

Hermano, Mucho Exito y bendiciones en tu gira en Alemania...Puro poder latino!!!

Un abrazo,

Ian

Back