Vinnie Paul

The last few bars of Becoming are excellent. I just love his whole kit, from the huge-ass toms to the power bell ride, and his snare sounds soo good.
He is one of the best metal drummers around, it's just a shame Pantera and Dimebag haven't lasted as long.
And by the way, I have the same birthday as Dime. Which I think is pretty cool.

one of the greatest metal drummers of all time and one of my favorites.

ive been banging to pantera for almost 10 years now and vinnie never tires me

For me Vinnie is already a living legend in Metal, I hope he makes some good moves in the future.

Vinnie was never one of my favorites, but still a great metal drummer at that. He wasn't one of the best double bass players, but he could still kick it and make some surprisingly sweet grooves for metal. Anyway Pantera's one of my favorite bands and their guitarist and drummer were great. They played extremely tight almost as if they were brothers....oh wait....

One of the, if not the best metal drummers out there. His kit is really awe inspiring as is his drumming. I dont like Pantera and 90% of Damageplan but thats the vocals. If I could erase the vocal tracks on those cd's I would be set. I think I might get the sig. snare but thats because of the depth,sound and price more than his name.

secondXheartbeat said:
vulgar display of power is one of the best metal records of all time, definitely the best of the 90s

if you wanna argue, PM me

Good call dude! I first heard Vulgar Display in 92' and it blew my head off, I was like " What the *%#$ is this? This is incredible!! Mouth For War, then New Level... my God metal had been reinvented into a different style yet again by another awesome band."

I like how a lot of people on this thread say how groovy Vinnie Paul's drumming is coz it is & that's such an excellent quality to have in a metal band.... to be a hard hitting, fast and powerful metal drummer yet also be groovy. Amazing combination.

Ok...

Recently I saw an episode of "Pantera" Behind The Music. Did anyone else see that?

I'm curious to know if anyone else's view of Vinnie has changed. Anyone who has seen that episode has to be able to say something.

NaturalRaZ said:
Ok...

Recently I saw an episode of "Pantera" Behind The Music. Did anyone else see that?

I'm curious to know if anyone else's view of Vinnie has changed. Anyone who has seen that episode has to be able to say something.

I haven't seen it but could you tell us about it please, I'm curious about it! Cheers.

JayDVee009 said:
I haven't seen it but could you tell us about it please, I'm curious about it! Cheers.

I am hesitant to give my unfiltered opinion on the matter, due to the fact that I want unfiltered opinions that are not in response to my opinon. What I will acknowledge is... it really made me see Vinnie in a different light. In a negative way at that.

Following Pantera for years.... loving them, watching them split... only hearing rumours and opinons... then finally being able to hear Phil's words direcctly really shed some light on the matter.

I always thought that something was seriously wrong within the big picture of Pantera.... considering everything I ever heard about the split was always one-sided. That side being from Vinnie and somehow, Phil's side being closed quickly through publicists and lawyers tricks.

I know that VH1's "Behind The Music" is a show... and the goals are to get attention, ratings and compete with the other music broadcasting company. Being in Radio Broadcasting for a bit, I do understand the "Cut and Paste" method when it comes to telling a story. Thats why you see numerous "STORY WRITERS" in the credits of these shows. They are there to tell a story utilizing the information that they have on tape. Even if its used to flop the actual reality of what was said. But... its simple in my view. The things that were said.... WERE SAID. And, I understand the context of them... being that I am able to separate myself from the story telling process, and just listen to the words said.

But... I want others opinons on the matter... if they saw it.

Last edited:
I saw that behind the music, and I still love vinnie as a drumer but not as much as a person. Phil really shed some light on why they split which I liked because everything I heard about the split before this show was against Phil, saying he just didn't want to do it anymore.

Well... all I can say at the moment is that I'd love to give my opinion on what Vinnie Paul said on this "Behind the Music" show on VH1 but unfortunately I have no idea what he said, so if anyone out there can tell me what he said I'd appreciate it. If I could download the particular episode I would but I can't, the suspense is killing me.....

ness said:
I saw that behind the music, and I still love vinnie as a drumer but not as much as a person. Phil really shed some light on why they split which I liked because everything I heard about the split before this show was against Phil, saying he just didn't want to do it anymore.

Bingo! Thats why I didn't interject my personal opinon. I wanted to make sure that others saw Vinnie in the same light that I do now.

It was a HUGE eye opener wasn't it?

Sorry for the double post.. but I have to say it.

It's really sad that it took the death of "Dimebag" to shed light on the topic.

I think Phil said it best when he said to Vinnie.... "If you wish me dead because of what happened... Are you just going to lose another brother?"

That was really sad, but it needed to be said and heard.

NaturalRaZ said:
Sorry for the double post.. but I have to say it.

It's really sad that it took the death of "Dimebag" to shed light on the topic.

I think Phil said it best when he said to Vinnie.... "If you wish me dead because of what happened... Are you just going to lose another brother?"

That was really sad, but it needed to be said and heard.

Yeah well.... sounds pretty intense! Definitley sounds like some things were said that just should not have been said, let alone thought. Unfortunately an example of a terrible situation bringing the worst out in people. I only hope things can be resolved somehow if possible and the negative energy can be beaten.

Not good to honour someone's memory with negativity and ill wishes.

JayDVee009 said:
Definitley sounds like some things were said that just should not have been said, let alone thought..

Yes... and...from what I have gathered, Vinnie and his wife are directly responsible for that.

JayDVee009 said:
Unfortunately an example of a terrible situation bringing the worst out in people.

Yes it really does at times. One thing that I have to say is.... the episode stongly pointed out that Dimebag had never once criticized, slandered, made fun of, or... degraded Phil's reputation in anyway, shape or form. It was all Vinnie and his wife. It kinda hurt me to see Vinnie in that light. But, I'm glad I saw it.

Back