My "Wall of Shame".

jer

Silver Member
DSC07269.jpg

17" A Custom
18" A Custom
2 x 16" AAX Studio (1 brilliant, 1 traditional finish)
17" AAX Studio
18" Thin Crash (first cymbal I ever broke, still have the bell somewhere, used it as an effect for a while)
15" K Dark Thin

The ones with whole sections missing were my practice cymbals for a while, hence the extreme loss of metal.

Cool idea. My "Wall of Achievement" would have more cymbals than that (25 years worth), but none so spectacularly destroyed! Nice work!

You know that you can't kill cymbals not matter how hard you go at them right?

I'm admittedly a hoarder of all things musical, thinking that they'll have a use someday. I wasn't sure what I was keeping these pies around for until they found a home on my wall as "art".

The lesson for the kids here is that no matter how hard you hit, you cannot compete with Marshall's, Orange's or Mesa's. It's less expensive to ask folks to turn down a notch or 4.

lol - it looks like you were hungry, jer. Tossing up whether it's a good advertisement for Zildjians and Sabians.

Our former rehearsal studio was a haven for dead gear by the end of the night. The destruction of drumsticks is truly awesome, especially for someone who hasn't broken a stick (or competed with Marshalls) in decades.

Are you living with your partner? If so, any thoughts on your wall from that end?

lol - it looks like you were hungry, jer. Tossing up whether it's a good advertisement for Zildjians and Sabians.

Our former rehearsal studio was a haven for dead gear by the end of the night. The destruction of drumsticks is truly awesome, especially for someone who hasn't broken a stick (or competed with Marshalls) in decades.

Are you living with your partner? If so, any thoughts on your wall from that end?

As far as the advertisement for either company goes, at least it's not all one or the other - they both are subject to breakage equally.

It's amazing how when I left the bands that were the owners of the aforementioned stacks, my cymbal and stick destruction has practically gone nil.

Yes, I live with my partner. Considering that the following is also in my apartment, the wall is the least of her concerns...

DSC07272.jpg

EEK! I'm a pretty hard hitter, but I don't think I've broken that many cymbals in my entire life!

Bermuda

Wonder if you took the ones that are broken on the outside edge to a machine shop and had them cut down if they would sound any good? Like cut them down from a 17"/16" to a 14" or so (just enough to clear the damaged part).

Just a thought...what would you have to lose?

Wonder if you took the ones that are broken on the outside edge to a machine shop and had them cut down if they would sound any good? Like cut them down from a 17"/16" to a 14" or so (just enough to clear the damaged part).

Just a thought...what would you have to lose?
Actually I have a friend who does that. I would give him my broken cymbals not knowing, or caring, what he planned for them. Then one day he gave me an unusual looking cymbal as a gift, and told me that is was one of my old cracked ones. It was just like you said: an 18 or 19 that was cut down to a 16.25" and relathed all the way across to smooth the taper.

It actually sounds really cool. His kit has 3 or 4 that were treated this way. and the only one that didn't turn out very well was a 2oo2. Something about the B8 made it difficult to lathe.

Here is a Paiste Rude 18" crash from 1981 that I shattered in less than 6 months. (Rude's are too brittle for me) So I made a clock out of it. So, it's had a 6 month life as a crash, and a 29 year life as a clock in my studio. At least I got my moneys worth out of it.

Attachments

• RudeClock.jpg
    RudeClock.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 554
jer, it appears you chose your partner well :)

I'm thinking the same way as Mike 'n' Mash ... the Sabians and the K look retrievable. I had a 16" 2002 crash that developed a crack. The drum shop lathed the crack it out without reducing the diameter so the crack wouldn't lengthen. It lost a bit of sustain but it still sounded good.

Excellent job with the clock ... er ... Jim ... John ... umm, Jason ... :) Looks great.

EEK! I'm a pretty hard hitter, but I don't think I've broken that many cymbals in my entire life!

Bermuda

Unfortunately, this is not my entire collection of trashed pies.

jer, it appears you chose your partner well :)

Doesn't prevent her from reminding me that I need to clear some of it out on a weekly basis! :) But yes, she is very supportive of all that is me and my music and the hoarding that goes along with having GAS.

As far as the cutting down / lathing goes, I suppose if I was in need of / wanting more cymbals I'd consider it, but I'm happy with my current setup. If I were to get any of them worked on, I'd probably play them once and put them back on the wall... I'd rather the constant reminder of broken pies, that I need to keep my technique in line.

As far as the cutting down / lathing goes, I suppose if I was in need of / wanting more cymbals I'd consider it, but I'm happy with my current setup. If I were to get any of them worked on, I'd probably play them once and put them back on the wall... I'd rather the constant reminder of broken pies, that I need to keep my technique in line.

That reminds me - did you try taping that washy ride you posted a while ago?

I think we should call this one "The Oddity Museum" for all broken, beat items.

@ jer: I noticed that all these cymbals are thin...may I suggest upgrading to medium-thin or medium weight? It would probably make a world of difference (Just my $.02).

That reminds me - did you try taping that washy ride you posted a while ago?

Haven't yet, only time I've been in my space since your suggestion is when I've been with a band, by default I pull out the A Medium. Thanks for the reminder!

I think we should call this one "The Oddity Museum" for all broken, beat items.

Bring it on! I've become a fan of the randomness at which cymbals fall apart, I'd love to see how other people chew through their gear.

@ jer: I noticed that all these cymbals are thin...may I suggest upgrading to medium-thin or medium weight? It would probably make a world of difference (Just my $.02).

Not pictured is an old 18" Zildjian that I believe was part of a set of concert crashes, it was quite heavy and not spared from the wrath of recklessness that I put it through. I agree these cymbals were on the thin side for the type of music I was playing (especially the AAX Studios), I am however not convinced a heavier cymbal would last any longer than a thin when subject to the abuse these guys went through.

The A Customs were the last to be broken and replaced with Projections, which are holding up just fine since toning down on the amount of crash-riding I had been doing with the louder bands I'm no longer with. I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Humorously, since leaving the louder bands, I've been contemplating switching out the Projections for something thinner, I do prefers me the sound of lighter cymbals...

Back