18 inch Floor Tom Rebuild

Here is the bass drum awaiting hoops. Two more toms to go. They are sanded and will get primed then taped and painted.

Attachments

• CIMG0700.JPG
    CIMG0700.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,113
that is really looking great ! i wasn't sure what to think when we were talking the other night but know i get it ! i'm glad the weather finally broke and you can start busting a** on it to get it done . most excellent job sir !
i'll be watching to see how it all evolves and steal some ideas ..........

To steal from me would be like robbing from the poor. Thanks.

Toms striped and ready for masking and yellow paint

Attachments

• CIMG0705.JPG
    CIMG0705.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
This is great! Man, I wish I had the know how to re-wrap some old Tama's I've got.
Can't wait to see the whole thing set up Grunt

614, go to www.ghostnote.com, a site just from drum building and rebuilding and look around. Lots of tips and help. What I am doing with this set is very amateur and inexpensive. More of a gimmick than a real attempt. Wrapping isn't really that much harder it just gets expensive. Thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how well the yellow covered the black without leaving a shadow.

Great job G. Been watching all the way. Who did your bee graphic, looks like the mouth is cut out,,,port? What kind of sprayer do you have?

Well for now the Bee is a printed cutout from the internet that I will use to make stencils to spray. All of the work has been done with spray cans. I wish I had a sprayer. Thanks.

The two toms are drying waiting for the final coat of yellow then unmasking.

Attachments

• CIMG0707.JPG
    CIMG0707.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • CIMG0708.JPG
    CIMG0708.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • CIMG0709.JPG
    CIMG0709.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,018
Not to hijack your thread but your project reminded me of one I did a few years back. This was four different colored Sonor 2001 pieces I refinished. I did a "splatter" job in blue. The pics don't show it well but it turned out decent. It was intended as a thorw-in-the-car practice kit but I have actually played it some smaller gigs and it sounds good.

Attachments

• Sonor Force 2001 b sm-1.jpg
    Sonor Force 2001 b sm-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • sonor force 2001 a sm.jpg
    sonor force 2001 a sm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 999
That looks great. When I am finished i am going to put a thread together with start to finish photos and a sound byte. This set is 4 different inexpensive drums a few with very bad outer plies of wood. More of a novelty than a serious attempt at a class job. Just having some fun.

It was a lot of work and in the end I realized I should have done some thngs different but it was really fun. My next attempt is trying to make a snare out of a 12" Pearl Export tom my nephew-in-law was throwing away. I figure if I fail, I won't have anything in it at least.

614, go to www.ghostnote.com, a site just from drum building and rebuilding and look around. Lots of tips and help. What I am doing with this set is very amateur and inexpensive. More of a gimmick than a real attempt. Wrapping isn't really that much harder it just gets expensive. Thanks for commenting.

Very cool idea. I have been toying with the idea of buying some old drums off eBay and making a cohesive kit out of them. Just a small three piece. Thanks a lot for the link, your bass drum looks awesome.

I paid 30.00 for each drum, 30.00 for wood hoops for the bass drum, 22.00 for t-handle tension rods, in the mail, and will need 16 claws. Still looking. And oh yeah
700.00 in spray paint. Kidding. The drums are a Taye Studio Maple snare I've had for a while, a 12 x 8 tom, a 13 x 9 tom, for the floor tome but hung from cymbal stand,
and an 18 x 16 bass drum. Taye, Ludwig, Pearl, and Pulse are all represented. Getting an endorsement could be a problem. Maybe I can get Krylon Fusion paint to sponsor me.

And oh yeah
700.00 in spray paint. Kidding. Maybe I can get Krylon Fusion paint to sponsor me.

I feel your pain. I had 20 zillion cans of spray paint on mine before it was over. I am surprised a hazmat team didn't show up at the house.

Rounding the corner, Heading for home.

Attachments

• CIMG0712.JPG
    CIMG0712.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 988
  • CIMG0713.JPG
    CIMG0713.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 981
wow! they look really good. good effort!

Back