Is this what dents do?

JLoveDrums94

I have a drum dial and I made sure that all my toms and bass were tuned to 75 (both batter and reso sides). I have these rather old drum heads that came with the drum set itself. Some heads are more dented then others (especialy my 12 and 13 inch toms). Though I tune the batter and reso sides to the same point... the batter sides sound ridiculously lower pitched and when playing, it sounds absolutly terrible.

Is this the work of dents?

I've never used a drum dial. But I don't need to have to tell you that if the heads are dented, it's time for new ones. I'm only guessing, but I can't imagine a DD will function properly without a flat surface to read the numbers. Swap 'em out.

It is the work of bad heads, and bad tuning!
Your Drum Dial is fine, It is you and your gear that needs help.
Take some lessons and live long and prosper dude!

OK Seriously, What kind of heads are you using and on what kit are they on?

The reason your batter is rediculously low pitched compared to your reso even though they are both at 75 is because you have a 2 ply head on your batter. How do I know this without seeing it? Because I'm awesome! Bring the batter up to about 85 and try that.

Because I'm awesome!

You ARE awesome mate...."effin" A!!

Sounds to me like these things should come with their own bloody degree before you can drive them. The amount of frustrations I read across so may threads leaves me wondering why anyone bothers.

So far, the best I've been able to garnish is that "they get you close" before you have to fine tune....big bloody deal!! I can "get close" with my own ear before I have to really start fine tuning too.......and all without the wasted middle step of buggering around with a drum dial.

DISCLAIMER: Just kidding all you DD advocates....I'm bored on a sat afternoon and thought I'd throw out a gentle ribbing for no other reason than to amuse myself. ;-)

@Pocket-full-of-gold
The reso side heads are just as old as the batter side heads but in far better condition. I got this drum set used, so I can't quite tell you how old it is. I had it since mid May of this year.

@bobdadruma
It's a Squier drum set and all the heads are "standard" remo drumheads that originaly came with the set (the heads have the squier logo).

@larryace
Nope, they are all "single-ply" (batters and resos). That must also make me awesome because I already knew why a 2-ply would sound different compared to a single-ply drumhead. hahaha no offence.

Yep. Definitely time for new heads....batter and reso. You have no real idea how old they actually are, so I'd suggest there's no time like the present. Added to the fact that "Squire" branded Remos will more than likely make them UT's or other entry level heads. Either way, they aren't gonna be much chop. Ditch 'em. I'm sure you'll notice a remarkable difference.

Yes a 2 ply will sound different than a 1 ply but it is a fact that for a 1 ply head tuned at 75, for arguments sake, say it is a D note. A 2 ply batter tuned to 75 would be lower pitched, say a B note.

But you say they are both single ply yet the batter is way lower. OK. Dam I thought I was awesome.

I havent yet thought of what to get for reso sides yet, but I can't decide between Clear Remo Pinstripes and Clear Evans SST EC2s (for batter side). Can you guys help me decide? The music that I play to is a Mexican style and is best described as a mix between Marching Music and Polka Music. If you want, I can post a video link, so that you could get a better idea.

@larryace
I think the fact that you took the time to help me out still makes you awesome...

and the same goes to everyone else, thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here's the video link. The person you'll see in this video is the best drummer of this style. His name is Jair Loredo (just a little FYI).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7EazEapyTM

Last edited:
Thanks JLove, I'm back to being awesome. I like it better like that lol.

I learned a lot from my DD. I learned how to tighten the head so it's even. I learned about the forces that occur when you twist the key. I learned that you have to pay close attention to a lugs opposite lug, they both have to read the same number. I learned what is going on when a head just wont tune up right. In short, the DD taught me how critical it is that the drum hoop is perfectly parallel to the bearing edge, in all directions.

I use it when I am at home changing heads, nice and relaxed. I don't take it to gigs. I learned enough from it that I really don't need it anymore.

I havent yet thought of what to get for reso sides yet, but I can't decide between Clear Remo Pinstripes and Clear Evans SST EC2s (for batter side). Can you guys help me decide? The music that I play to is a Mexican style and is best described as a mix between Marching Music and Polka Music. If you want, I can post a video link, so that you could get a better idea.

For reso sides, Remo Ambassadors or Evans G1's work great with almost any batter head. As far as the batter goes, both of the heads you mentioned will work great (definitely much better than what you have now!!)

I will say this though-If you go with an Evans Batter, get an Evans Resonant. Does is matter or effect the sound? No, not really. But it's consistent and it looks more professional:) That's my two cents on that!

I'm not familiar with that style of music, and I would love to see a video!!

-Kyle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here's the video link. The person you'll see in this video is the best drummer of this style. His name is Jair Loredo (just a little FYI).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7EazEapyTM

Yeah, this is the video.

lol my bad I didn't see it down there earlier! That's some pretty cool music!!! Is that the type of drum sound you're going for?

My bad, I had it later edited into the post. But yeah, that's exactly the sound I'm going for. You wouldnt happen to have any suggestions or ideas on how to get a sound like this, would you?

BTW, not quite sure if I can aford to replace all drumheads (batter and reso). I think I can only afford the batter sides for the toms and the bass drum. Personaly, I think my reso sides are in "decent" condition compared to my batter sides... but what do I know? I never saw what a worn out reso side head looks like.

My bad, I had it later edited into the post. But yeah, that's exactly the sound I'm going for. You wouldnt happen to have any suggestions or ideas on how to get a sound like this, would you?

BTW, not quite sure if I can aford to replace all drumheads (batter and reso). I think I can only afford the batter sides for the toms and the bass drum. Personaly, I think my reso sides are in "decent" condition compared to my batter sides... but what do I know? I never saw what a worn out reso side head looks like.

Replacing the batter heads should do the trick for now. But if you replace the batter, tune it and the reso head with the drum dial and if it sounds really really weird, you've probably got a dead reso.

The drummer in the video is using a clear Remo Pinstripe on his first rack tom, and it looks and sounds like he is using Emperors on the other two toms. I couldn't decide for sure what he was using on the snare, but my guess would be a clear Emperor or Ambassador.

If I were trying to get that sound, I would use clear Remo Pinstripes on all three toms, and a clear Ambassador on the snare.

As far as Drum Dial settings go, I'd say around 72-75 for all three tom batters. And about 82-85 for the reso's. Note: the reso's are gonna be really tight, but combined with the relatively low tuning of the batter heads, this tuning will give you that low, punchy, short sound you're looking for.

The batter of the snare drum sounds about 90-95, and the reso sounds around 82-85. That's just a guess though. I would also encourage you to replace the reso on your snare, as it will make a big difference in you're snare sound.

The drummer in the video is playing rimshots with the tip of the stick about halfway to the center of the drum, and that's a big part of getting that snare sound. He also is using a metal snare, another huge factor.

I could not really hear the bass drum, so I'm not sure what sound you're looking for there.

I hope this helps you out!!
-Kyle

Whoops I'm sorry!!! The snare drum head he is using is either a clear Remo Pinstripe, or a clear Powerstroke 3. Which would mean the drum dial settings need to be a little higher as both of those heads are thicker than an Ambassador. I'd say 95-98. And that is tight!!! The reso head would be about the same. Maybe a bit tighter (87-92) depending on your taste.

Good luck friend

-Kyle

Replacing the batter heads should do the trick for now. But if you replace the batter, tune it and the reso head with the drum dial and if it sounds really really weird, you've probably got a dead reso.

The drummer in the video is using a clear Remo Pinstripe on his first rack tom, and it looks and sounds like he is using Emperors on the other two toms. I couldn't decide for sure what he was using on the snare, but my guess would be a clear Emperor or Ambassador.

If I were trying to get that sound, I would use clear Remo Pinstripes on all three toms, and a clear Ambassador on the snare.

As far as Drum Dial settings go, I'd say around 72-75 for all three tom batters. And about 82-85 for the reso's. Note: the reso's are gonna be really tight, but combined with the relatively low tuning of the batter heads, this tuning will give you that low, punchy, short sound you're looking for.

The batter of the snare drum sounds about 90-95, and the reso sounds around 82-85. That's just a guess though. I would also encourage you to replace the reso on your snare, as it will make a big difference in you're snare sound.

The drummer in the video is playing rimshots with the tip of the stick about halfway to the center of the drum, and that's a big part of getting that snare sound. He also is using a metal snare, another huge factor.

I could not really hear the bass drum, so I'm not sure what sound you're looking for there.

I hope this helps you out!!
-Kyle
This actually helps a lot. I’m very surprised how much you can tell me just by watching a single video… impressive really. Unfortunately, I just got back from doing my shopping at Guitar Center and decided to go with the Clear Remo Pinstripes for all the batter sides and Clear Remo Ambassadors for all the reso sides. As a default, I set the tom batters to 78 on the dial and 75 on the resos. Isn’t 82-85 too much, especially for an Ambassador reso side? For the batter side on my snare drum, I got a Pinstripe (set between 88 and 89) and on the reso side, an Evans Hazy 300 (80-83). I couldn’t afford to replace the heads on my bass drum, but when I can afford it… I’m going to get an Aquarian Super-Kick II for the batter side and I’m thinking maybe an Aquarian Regulator for the reso side. Again, how you can already tell what I need to get and do is very impressive. Thanks for your help.

Back