Who here plays a different instrument in addition to drums?

I play guitar too. Played drums since I was 3 but only recently picked up guitar when I was about 12, 4 years ago. I was having a crisis about which to further or push to try and find a band with, but I've comfortably settled with drums, because I have more fun n feel more myself playing drums than I do with anything else. I can't keep up with posing every 5 seconds as a guitarist anyway...

I play guitar. The drums was an impulse buy about 10 months ago but im liking it a lot. I think my guitars are getting jealous!

Im finding out drums along with upgrading gear gets quite expensive.

in addition to drums i also occasionally do lead and backing vocals.

Does a Kazoo count? I also once freestyled a jungle/penny whistle solo.I'll definitely be doing that again when i get the call...

I play bass and guitar. I figure learning to play drums will enhance my bass skills. In the bands I've played in, having a tight bass and drums always made a difference.

I'm considering learning how to play the flute.

I think this may be a bad idea though because it looks like a hell of a lot of work to play well. Plus they are expensive.

(as opposed to drums that are expensive and take a hell of a lot of work to play well).

I'm considering learning how to play the flute.

I think this may be a bad idea though because it looks like a hell of a lot of work to play well. Plus they are expensive.

(as opposed to drums that are expensive and take a hell of a lot of work to play well).

Many's the time when hauling stuff back and forth from the car I thought, "I should have learned flute". Just a little box or two, and at the end you run a rag on a stick through it, pull it into three pieces and put it in the box. The hurdle of getting the high notes when playing octaves was too much for me. In the 70s a friend learned flute and when practiced those high notes .... woooooo, that was painful.

It turned me right off the instrument but that doesn't stop me thinking about it when I'm setting down or lugging. I really don't know how drummers with big kits cope before they can hire roadies (or bribe friends with beer). For a few months I did backup vocals plus tambourine and maracas in a band. Luxury!

I play guitar as well, though I'm no technical whiz at it. I actually took two years of guitar lessons, learning how to play classical guitar to sheet music, etc., but it didn't stick, but was able to take what I learned and applied it to more rock/metal oriented music. These days I help my band with the song writing, and own a Fender strat and a cheap little combo amp. I guess it gives me something to do when I'm away from my drums!

Oh, and I played tenor saxophone in middle school - three years total. Don't remember much from that experience. ;)

Back