Which kick mic with these audix?

412drummer

Because of my budget I decided to pick up an audix fusion 6 on ebay and because the price was really good too. I knew ahead of time I was gonna add at least a better kick drum mic and probably and sm57 or similar later for the snare. Both to be purchased used. After listening to sound samples on YouTube of a bunch of mics the akg d112 and audix d6 jump out to me. Is there anything else that might be a better pick than these in the roughly $100 used price range?

the akg d112 and audix d6 jump out to me. Is there anything else that might be a better pick than these in the roughly $100 used price range?

The D112 is a much more flat-responsed mic. You can simulate the sound of a D6 or a Shure 52A with it, but it takes some EQing know-how. If you, for sure, want the punchy/clicky D6 sound, and nothing else, the D6 is nice because you just plug in and record.

Personally, I would go with the D112 if you were to only get one.

The D112 is a much more flat-responsed mic. You can simulate the sound of a D6 or a Shure 52A with it, but it takes some EQing know-how. If you, for sure, want the punchy/clicky D6 sound, and nothing else, the D6 is nice because you just plug in and record.

Personally, I would go with the D112 if you were to only get one.

I tend to love a punchy focused kick generally but I still may go with the D112 there is other times were I don't want that sound so much i.e. when I would drag out a 28 in kick drum. I will have to think it over because I may just end up owning more down the road but budget now would not permit that for sure.

If you are going to record up to a 28, then get the D112.

I like the D6 also, but the D112 always gets a great sound on my 26's (16,18, & 20" depths) fast. I think it captures the truest sound of my bass drum over any other mic that has been used (live or recorded).

If you are going to record up to a 28, then get the D112.

I like the D6 also, but the D112 always gets a great sound on my 26's (16,18, & 20" depths) fast. I think it captures the truest sound of my bass drum over any other mic that has been used (live or recorded).

I am leaning towards the d112. Last night at a heavier show I went they used a beta52 and I liked the results they got and how fast they got them but I am leaning toward the d112 still.

The thing sound people say they like about the Beta52 is that is pretty fast for "getting a sound"--but is it a GOOD sound?...
I personally hate that mic (that's why I bring my own!), it's too 'boofy' for my tastes, not as clear a sound.
I can see why they use it though. With 3-4 bands on a bill, there isn't time to screw around on someone's kit when they have it tuned like garbage, and there's no real time to "dial it in". You need something that gets the job done without messing around.

The thing sound people say they like about the Beta52 is that is pretty fast for "getting a sound"--but is it a GOOD sound?...
I personally hate that mic (that's why I bring my own!), it's too 'boofy' for my tastes, not as clear a sound.
I can see why they use it though. With 3-4 bands on a bill, there isn't time to screw around on someone's kit when they have it tuned like garbage, and there's no real time to "dial it in". You need something that gets the job done without messing around.

This right here has pretty much made my decision almost along with a ton of sound samples haha. I really liked the d6 and d112 originally so I am gonna just look for a d112. I like the sound samples of the d6 better but Id rather have more versatility as I play every style of music and use more than one kit.

I didn't bring this up before, since it was a bass drum mic thread, but I had an Audix MICRO-D mic put on my Bronze BB some years ago at an event, and I let the other drummers use my snare (all friends).

When I was listening to the other guy's, that mic made the drum sound like what I hear behind it, no matter who played it.

I thought that was pretty cool (and unusual), so if you like Audix mic's in general, that Micro-D is a pretty cool one.

I already had a few 57's, and my D112, so I never picked one up.
None of my bands need to bring a PA either (yay!), so I don't have to carry mics--unless I want to (D112 :) )

thanks for all of the above. I just decided I am gonna end up buying more than one mic eventually. I ended up buying a used senheiser e602ii because it was going for a steal of a price but I still eventually want to buy either the d6 or d112.

You aren't going to go wrong with that one either.
Those Senheiser mic clips are pretty nice too, since you were looking at clips.

thanks for all of the above. I just decided I am gonna end up buying more than one mic eventually. I ended up buying a used senheiser e602ii because it was going for a steal of a price but I still eventually want to buy either the d6 or d112.

Are you recording yourself mainly with mics? Keep in mind for a lot of us that the venues we play at handle all the sound and micing (like Karl mentioned) so the only time we might bring our own gear is if we are particular.

Are you recording yourself mainly with mics? Keep in mind for a lot of us that the venues we play at handle all the sound and micing (like Karl mentioned) so the only time we might bring our own gear is if we are particular.

Right now I am using it for live sound. In previous bands, live sound has always been provided for me. Since, I have started playing in this cover band its been hit or miss and more often miss. I also play to record in the future. I have some gear for it but I'm still learning more before I would trust my self to record my band yet or anyone else's.

Ok that makes sense now. I had the same deal with my last band in Germany. We had our own PA and ran our own sound for most of our gigs. While I had nice mics I usually just used some decent sounding off brands since our PA was nice but nothing like you found in a club.

Actually might make a lot more sense to see what mics respond better and sound better with your current bands PA setup.

Back