Billy Ward here!

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

p-mack said:
I hope someone here can help me with my question.
What's the total length of Billy Ward's DVD? How long?

Thanks!
I watched Billy Ward's Moderndrummer.com videos and they are addicting...
=)

Hi - I'LL answer! It is one minute longer than 3 hours - the main "movie part is one and a half hours long - then there are extras that equal another hour and a half (+commentary, which is important - further explanations- in this case)

Also....Hi Bernhard! Thanks for the note - I am starting to feel better!

UK Clinic Tour 2006
May 9th - May 14th

Check it out:

http://www.mikedolbear.com/

billywarduktour.jpg

I put it also into the forum calendar....

Bernhard

Last edited:

thanks Bernhard! It starts next week and it's going to be grueling! ....3 Masterclasses and 6 Clinics in 6 days - in 6 different cities!!!
Looking forward to it - Hopefully, some of the Drummerworld gang can come out!

i'm looking forward to it.
by the way, reading your interview with rhythm i was suprised how few sticks you (and steve gadd) go through. is it anything to do with your relaxed style, or is it more a case of you knowing where to hit the cymbal?

ewanlaing said:
i'm looking forward to it.
by the way, reading your interview with rhythm i was suprised how few sticks you (and steve gadd) go through. is it anything to do with your relaxed style, or is it more a case of you knowing where to hit the cymbal?

Hmmm - my guess is that it is knowing where to place the cymbals and drums for your touch - (and having a consistent touch!) and having a touch that doesn't choke the stick or, more importantly sonically, the object being played.

hey billy. one question about the DW stands you use and endorse. I saw an ad with you and the stands in DRUM or MD, can't remember which one, but the stands don't look too sturdy. How do you think they compare to other stands. They look lightweight.

Hey Billy,

I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the drumming. Your approach to drumming is unique and inspiring. I love your articles in Modern Drummer. I also wanted to say that I have lately become a huge fan of Mark Craney, I am from the same city he grew up and some of his buddies in town have turned me on to him, I am very glad they did! Since you were part of the drum club with Craney, I was wondering if you can share some stories or just what you found really cool about Mark Craney, or perhaps a favorite recording or anything you have in mind. I am just trying to learn as much as I can about Mark and his style of drumming. I have the Gino Vannelli "brother to brother" album which is just fantastic. The album has great groove and musicianship. Thanks for the drumming Billy!

rendezvous_drummer said:
hey billy. one question about the DW stands you use and endorse. I saw an ad with you and the stands in DRUM or MD, can't remember which one, but the stands don't look too sturdy. How do you think they compare to other stands. They look lightweight.

Hi! I use all the DW stands - the ad you are mentioning is their LIGHTWEIGHT series - so yeah, they ARE lightweight. But they are also very sturdy - if you are a true basher, I would avoid. Otherwise, that 6000 series is a great deal - and it's what I'm using if I'm doing the lifting! :D

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)

billy ward said:
Hi! I use all the DW stands - the ad you are mentioning is their LIGHTWEIGHT series - so yeah, they ARE lightweight. But they are also very sturdy - if you are a true basher, I would avoid. Otherwise, that 6000 series is a great deal - and it's what I'm using if I'm doing the lifting! :D

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)

Until the recent MD issue I have never heard of Mark Craney. I understand now how well respected and what a monster player he must of been and look forward to listening to him w/Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli when I find those cd's. He must be one of '' the underrated drummers of all time' to have slipped by me all these years. God bless.

drumbig said:
Until the recent MD issue I have never heard of Mark Craney. I understand now how well respected and what a monster player he must of been and look forward to listening to him w/Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli when I find those cd's. He must be one of '' the underrated drummers of all time' to have slipped by me all these years. God bless.

He would so NOT care about whatever attention has happened to him recently (except to joke/brag about it to his friends:D) but I am glad to hear about more people getting aware of him. thanks!
B

Hey Billy, I hope your health is up to the flight! Safe travels and have a great tour! There are some forum friends of mine who might show up in Scotland.. I'm not sure how far the trip is for them though. Hopefully I'll see you when you get back. Take care....

the clinic was fantastic! billy your style is so unique and you were so creative (hats off to the guitar lead idea). i had an excellent view. i was the guy in the foo fighters t-shirt standing in everyones way, who gave you the kinda lame thumbs up on the way out. i was really glad that it wasn't just a big drum solo, but instead a lesson on how best to compliment a song.
if anyone else has a chance to see billy, take it. it's well worth it.

Hi Billy, i will hear if you ever will come to Denmark, and if you do, would it be possible to get a 1 hour lesson with you ?

Best Regards Daniel Sidelmann

Hey there....Absolutely gutted i couldnt make the clinic last sunday. Ah well..i'll have to catch you next tour /sigh

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)[/QUOTE]

The MD article was simply amazing. One of the best articles I have ever read in my life. Sometime I should get a picture of one of Mark Craney's last kits he had. It is on display at a music store where I live cause Mark grew up here. It is a beautiful kit, plus it has a huge poster collage thing of Mark in the background, which is truly awesome! It has many pictures of him from his playing days in SF to his days with Vanelli, Ponty, Jethro Tull. Really cool!

danielheier said:

The MD article was simply amazing. One of the best articles I have ever read in my life. Sometime I should get a picture of one of Mark Craney's last kits he had. It is on display at a music store where I live cause Mark grew up here. It is a beautiful kit, plus it has a huge poster collage thing of Mark in the background, which is truly awesome! It has many pictures of him from his playing days in SF to his days with Vanelli, Ponty, Jethro Tull. Really cool![/QUOTE]

This is so bizzarre!!!! I wrote the top paragraph a while ago, and then Daniel apparently wrote the second paragraph.. and they are both credited to him. that must be weird for Daniel! :D

So I'm in Ireland now on holiday with my wife and it is wonderful. Thanks to all of you who were able to come to one of the shows!!! Internet access is difficult at times, but I will continue to check in over the next two weeks until I get home.
best,
Billy W

Back