Happy Day, sort of?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK! I was lamenting that now that I have a new kit, I have to get cases for it since I transport in an open pick up - and I've always transported in some kind of hard case, and after owning those corrosion-prone Gator-wanna-be-SKB cases, I can't use those. In fact, I'll not subject another drummer to them by selling them, I'll just slowly destroy them and discard of them.

I have my eye on a new set of Humes & Berg Enduros (used those for years), and I totally forgot that I already had a 14x22 bass drum case in the rafters of my garage (one of my last sets was an old Vistalite kit that used that case). So I pulled it down just for fun and stuck my Tama 16x22 bass drum in it and it just about fits! (See photo).

The bass drum claws are just about even with the edge of the case before I put the lid on. When I do put the lid on it, there is definitely no side-to-side play. When the drum is traveling, nothing is stacked on top of it, just that short trip when the drums are stacked on top of each other on my Rock n roller cart to get to the venue from the truck. So obviously the weight of whatever I put on top of it will be pushing down somewhat onto the claws, and consequently, the tension rods. (This weight would be the 14x16 floor tom in its case, and maybe the snare in its case)

Opinion: Should I be worried about that? Any inherent damage you think I could be doing if the drums are stacked for a short period of time? If I make this work, I'm saving a $150 chunk out of my case budget. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• bass-case.jpg
    bass-case.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 148
I stack my drum filled SKB cases on each other with no appreciable deformity. No issue whatsoever.

F

No Problemo Bo, The weight of a floor tom will not hurt a bass drum inside of that case.
I often stack three drums on my bass drum while it is in a soft bag. I even store my kits like that when not in use.

I figured. But in this case, it looks like direct weight is being put on the tension rods, into the lugs, on both sides of the drum if I put too much. If it were a bag, all the weight would be on the head, which is ok. I'll go with it and just not subject it to too much. But thanks to not having to buy another bass drum hardcase, I was able to get the other four today ordered. Now I'll be ready to take it on the road ;)

Thanks!

I actually think that it is a good thing to store drums flat and stacked.
In your case Bo, the tension rods will act as a bridge and the weight will be evenly distributed and held by the drum shell which we all know is incredibly strong.

I asked Bermuda to make a Sticky thread entitled "Bo's kit of the week"

Opinion: Should I be worried ?

What I did w/my ENDUROS was lined the lid and bottom with auto carpet, used spray adhesive.

If you yank the strap there shouldn't be that big of a stability issue when using longer drums in the cases. I recommend the carpet though, b/c any weight is on the claws and the lid is going to shift around a little causing friction on the chrome.

Opinion: Should I be worried ?

What I did w/my ENDUROS was lined the lid and bottom with auto carpet, used spray adhesive.

If you yank the strap there shouldn't be that big of a stability issue when using longer drums in the cases. I recommend the carpet though, b/c any weight is on the claws and the lid is going to shift around a little causing friction on the chrome.

Thanks for the good tip. I'll glue some kind of felt padding where the case meets the claws.

Keep this in mind when buying cases. From a review on MF on SKB cases.

Also, i've noticed it's harder to get them in the cases after a gig, I think because as you hit your drums they expand, so the drums get larger and fit even worse. I wish I knew this before. They also aren't very light, but they do a good job of protecting your drums. The sizes should be bigger though.

Keep this in mind when buying cases. From a review on MF on SKB cases.

Also, i've noticed it's harder to get them in the cases after a gig, I think because as you hit your drums they expand, so the drums get larger and fit even worse. I wish I knew this before. They also aren't very light, but they do a good job of protecting your drums. The sizes should be bigger though.

Really? I suppose that could happen since they are wood. I think the issue of fitting might be because of the foam lining? After my Gator Case debacle, I'll never use foam-lined cases again.

Back