Joey Jordison

That drum solo from Disasterpieces is crazy! I bet it's tough to drum like that at an angle.

I don't know... it's probably hard to play upside down indeed but other than that the solo consists of tornadoing all over the kit for a few minutes, then he pauses to allow the crowd some room for revering him, and then he does it all again.

Not my kind of solo.

i dont see how ANYBODY can put down Joey like that when no one here can measure up to his talent EVR. he has truly amazing foot speed and unbelievably fast hands. now i agree that he could use more styles to get the "best" drummer title, but in his genre of music, he owns it. he owns metal, lars ulrich has rock, and travis barker is a showy, and shitty, drummer. now, i kno that im just doin tha same thing yall r doin and criticizing the drummers of the genres of music that i dont listen to, but any one of yall let me kno when yall can measure up to joey. Good Luck.

Music is life.
Drums are passion.
---------------------------------------------
Larz Goodner

Hmm seems you are quite the ignorant. I would say many and a lot of people on this site have probably surpassed Joey in a lot of ways, i am by no means one of them, however you can't make claims like that when you haven't heard every drummer on this site play. As for owning metal maybe he owns mainstream metal but my God i prefer a lot more metal drummers to Joey. Dave Lombardo, Martin Lopez, Chris Adler, Mike Portnoy (just a few). Now i'm not putting Joey down, he is amazing and has heaps of talent but technically he does a lot of the same stuff every song whereas Portnoy or Lopez are always trying new things and being diverse. Try not to be so ignorant, good luck with that.

It's interesting how everybody rags on Joey about so-and-so being faster than him or being more technical, etc.... but it was the popularity of Joey that got people on the internet even talking about all this speed/tech stuff in the first place. Everyone mentions that they passed him up on the way to discovering bigger, better drummers but A LOT of these drummers wouldn't have even been heard of it weren't for Slipknot. If we could go back in time (when youtube didn't even exist) and look all over the internet for some videos of extreme metal drummers doing their thing when Slipknot was really getting big, you would be lucky to find as many videos as you could count on one hand. Metal drummers (and I'm referring to the younger ones) are always trying to one up each other, which makes it impossible to see metal music as a form of art. It has just become a sport.

I just pulled out my old Slipknot IOWA cd tonight for the first time in years and in all of the extreme bands I've heard in that time, the ol' knot still has that unique sound. It is an organic, breathing, vicious sound that has, over time, become replaced by bands with a mechanical, lifeless, overly pro-tooled sound. I still give my respects to Joey because I think he is a killer drummer and when you have that many fans AND that many people who hate you, you know you've done something right.

Joey Jordison is any amazing drummer....look at his solos and on youtube you can see him at work on the 'knots Disasterpieces dvd. His double bass skills are insane :)
Im a Slipknot Fan and you can hear him on all songs with fast paced drum beats there very good but i havent seen them yet :(

Many people i know listen to Slipknot becuase of Joey Jordison. The ones who don't, in my opinion, are a bunch of wannabe metalheads. I agree with Joey not being the best, there are much better drummers out there, but I like him becuase of his dedication to his band to make their good songs sound that much better.

i am 15, and iv been listening to music ever since i can remember, iv been playing drums for only about a year and Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison are 2 people that really turned me into drumming. it was joey who first shown me what a double bass pedal was, when i first saw it, i was stunned, and ever since i saw him using it, iv always wanted to buy one, but i cant get the money of ma mum. When i saw him do his solo on the disasterpiece dvd in London, he stepped it up another notch in my eyes, i hope to see them in england this december. If anyone could give me any tips on drumming, i will be happy to read them. Thanks

DAVE LOMBARDO!

Well here's my little joey thoughts, since somehow his name comes up in every drum conversation with some people. I hate slipknot, I can't stand the sound of it a lot of the time, especially the singer. I have so much respect for all of them but the singer though, they are all extremely talented, just their brand of music is not my preference.

I think Joey is a great drummer but people give him all the wrong praise. I am as fast as Joey, (though nowhere near as good) so is all of Norway's metal scene, soare all the thrashers and a ton of the death metal guys. Having chops that can go at 250+ is just an industry standard in the extreme metal genres. What makes him good is that he has this mixed style that sets him apart from all those other guys. It irks me that people call him a speed demon because it means they've probably overlooked all of the creativity he put into his drumming, it irks me when people call me a speed demon and ignore all the intricate stuff like the catches, the counter rhythms, the timbre of a part, etc. It's like all anyone can recognize is "wow that guy used a metronome when he was learning."

Then you get all the guys who bash him because he is not the fastest in the genre... no he's not, but that's not what makes him good.

Joe Jordison is this generations Dave Lombardo.
And Travis Barker is their....Buddy Rich? Well maybe not so much on that one.

What is metal about slipknot except the growling?

Metal isn't a wall of chugging power chords on detuned guitars.

Joey is a good drummer, Slipknot is a vessel for him to do a lot more then most drummers get the opportunity to playing in a band. The band basically create sound around the percussion, the percussion isn't just the backbone of the music, it is the music.

I dislike Slipknot being called metal as it detracts from the artistic appeal of metal bands such as Opeth. The band is almost a rhythmic ensemble with a shouter (he doesn't really growl) singing the odd pop rock verse. It isn't any more metal than something like Sick of it all, which is hardcore.

That doesn't mean it's bad for all the Slipknot fans. I got over calling things good and bad as it's all subjective, my mother loves Cliff Richard, that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. Plenty of people out there like Slipknot. Good on them. I just find that apart from the live intensity of their gigs which can be entertaining the music lacks any real substance, most of the guitar parts I can play on the right guitar and I'm a fairly average guitarist and the drums are cool but repetitive. If you are looking at them from a purely technical stand point and take into consideration they are mostly double bass kicks and fills they have nothing on say... Origin.

I agree with Frost 100%. But I may add that it is hard to classify just about anything in todays music as metal. People say Korn is nu-metal, System of a Down is nu-metal, DragonForce is power metal, and that Dream Theater is Prog metal. What defines "metal"? I personally think bands like these should just be considered heavy rock because what it comes down to is their style. Screaming could be emo, screamo, hardcore, and "metal"? I don't think so.

Metal to me is anything that has predominately rock-based roots but can no longer be considered rock music. Perhaps once upon a time metal was simply faster, louder rock music but not all metal is heavier then rock and not all metal is fast, look at bands like My Dying Bride, they predominately play around 60bpm and as low as 40. I don't consider that quick.

EDIT: Just something else I had to add, I've noticed most metal music is down-beat as opposed to up-beat. This is quite opposed to a lot of commercial music and contributes to metal being moderately inaccessible to a lot of people.

Metal is largely attitude and intention, not what drum beat or guitar tuning you use. Opeth and Slipknot are under the metal umbrella, but they're so far apart under there it's not even funny.

The more you listen to Slipknot, the more you realize what an asset Joey is to the band. Amongst other things, he insisted from early on that all songs be recorded "live" rather than piecemealed together, which to me is pretty awesome. Listen to the self-titled debut, there's a definite feel to it that megaproduced albums lack. As for his drumming, he's absolutely not standard heavy metal fare. Again, especially on early albums. Listen to the drumming on [sic] or Eyeless.

The band itself, the more you get to know 'em, really are pretty awesome. They love their fans, have the utmost reverence for the metal legends, and take what they do very seriously. They aren't just some punk kids.

EDIT: Just something else I had to add, I've noticed most metal music is down-beat as opposed to up-beat. This is quite opposed to a lot of commercial music and contributes to metal being moderately inaccessible to a lot of people.

You would be correct. The MAJORITY of metal (and this is one reason Christian metal bothers me) is more aggressive, abrasive, and kind of a downer. It makes sense, the guitars are distorted, the vocals are screamed, the drums are pounding. Not an environment for "hey buy a puppy, they're cute!"

You would be correct. The MAJORITY of metal (and this is one reason Christian metal bothers me) is more aggressive, abrasive, and kind of a downer. It makes sense, the guitars are distorted, the vocals are screamed, the drums are pounding. Not an environment for "hey buy a puppy, they're cute!"

Slipknot also write upbeat music, duality is very upbeat.

The whole metal is about attitude argument fails on me because I've met a lot of people who play in hardcore bands who have a very "metal" attitude but get rejected by the metal masses. Why? They have metal philosophies, they scream, they play fast and aggressive. They get rejected while grind gets accepted which is basically just detuned hardcore at higher tempos.

A lot of metal heads don't think about why they like the music they do and they reject bands based on opinions rather then how they actually sound.

The best example of this is riffs.

Riffs are a very important part of metal music but so many metal bands across different genres use very similar riffs, a lot of black metal bands, Orcustus was one I heard recently who are quite highly respected use old school punk riffs with a ton more distortion, heavily over-driven.

Oh yeah. "I push my fingers into my eyes, it's the only thing that can stop the ache". Very upbeat. C'mon man, Slipknot is one of the most nihilistic bands that has ever hit the mainstream. Look at the entirety of "All Hope is Gone".

And whoa now. Grindcore is a very different beast from hardcore. It's intentionally atonal, fast and chaotic, usually with song structure thrown out the window. There's so much more to it than simply "faster hardcore". The difference between a Pig Destroyer and a Hatebreed run FAR beyond tempo. They're totally different styles of music.

"Metal" is a huge umbrella. HUGE. Most metalheads don't even agree on what's good and what's not. You run from power metal like Dragonforce to grindcore like PxDx, death metal like Brain Drill and black metal like Emperor, prog bands like Opeth and Dream Theater all the way to drone bands like Sunn O))). "Metal" as a genre itself doesn't exist, really. It's too wide.

Upbeat has nothing to do with lyrics, it has to do with the music, Slipknot don't sound nihilistic, the shining sound nihilistic, Slipknot sound like a lot of rock bands out there only much heavier. Upbeat is also not just a feeling, it's part of the beat in music when you conduct and is used heavily in dance as well.

Back on the case of lyrics, I can think of plenty of Nick Cave or Johnny Cash songs which are very depressing and have nothing to do with metal what so ever.

"You are one of gods mistakes you lying tragic waste of skin" is one of Placebo's lyrics and that is on par with anything slipknot have written.

I gave my opinion as to what I believe the genre of metal entails.

Oh yeah. "I push my fingers into my eyes, it's the only thing that can stop the ache". Very upbeat. C'mon man, Slipknot is one of the most nihilistic bands that has ever hit the mainstream. Look at the entirety of "All Hope is Gone".

And whoa now. Grindcore is a very different beast from hardcore. It's intentionally atonal, fast and chaotic, usually with song structure thrown out the window. There's so much more to it than simply "faster hardcore". The difference between a Pig Destroyer and a Hatebreed run FAR beyond tempo. They're totally different styles of music.

"Metal" is a huge umbrella. HUGE. Most metalheads don't even agree on what's good and what's not. You run from power metal like Dragonforce to grindcore like PxDx, death metal like Brain Drill and black metal like Emperor, prog bands like Opeth and Dream Theater all the way to drone bands like Sunn O))). "Metal" as a genre itself doesn't exist, really. It's too wide.

^

No i dont i think they add something to the band adn especially to the live show.

I'm a SlipKnoT fan and have been so for quite some time and i deffo digg Joey Jordison's drumming. He is very disciplined and he does a great job for slipknot.

If he's th ebest drummer around is ofcourse something personal, in my case i would say hes up there on my top 15 with my all time favorite drummers being guys like: John Bonham (YEEEAH), Ian Paice, Neil Pert, John Densmore, Stewart Copeland etc.

Back