My favorite sticks

5A Vater recording wood hickory.
I has a problem with breaking sticks, since I play brutal music, but with these hickory sticks its so much better!

My current sticks, which are my favourite so far, are the Vic Firth Andrew Hurley sticks. They fit great in my hand, and are a bit heavier than normal. I plan on getting some of the Danny Carey signature sticks and the Tommy Lee Ahead's to try as well.

vater sugar maple 5a. light yet balanced, versitile blah, blah, blah. I just really like their feel. They don't last long if youre a heavy hitter but they feel just great. I haven't used a diff pair of sticks since finding them about 4 years ago.

Hey guys. For years I've been using Promark's L.A. special 5B and one day I decided to get me bigger sticks, for exploration only. And so I went with Rainbow (it says they're made by Vic Firth but I don't belive it) ROCK model. It is 17" long and 17mm in diameter. I play with butt ends and man, I loooove those. These sticks rock. Been playing with them for a year and half and I'm not stopping. They're heavy but it's actually everything I've been searching. And they're cheap as hell. 7$ for a pair of balanced hickory sticks. Love 'em!!!

My favourites are Vic Firth 5As and Van Halen Limited Edition 2008 Signature Drumsticks although they're a bit heavy for me :)

5A with a round tip, preferably made of oak. Tama or Vater usually, and I prefer the look of black sticks.

I love the Danny Carrey signature model. The weight, the length, balance, everything. Unfortunately the only two stores that stock them seem to have the same bad batch, so I play VF 2B at the moment.

for jazz and funk, i have to say vic firth 7A.

for rock and metal and what not, i like 5A and 5A N,

sometimes for practice i'll pick up a heavier stick, like a 2A, but i generally stick with the above two.

After significant forays into Ahead, Hornets, Pro-Mark, Vater, Vic Firth, and Zildjian, I have found several sticks that I would not hesitate to buy again. They include the following: Hornets 7A, Pro-Mark 707N and 707W (Ed Shaughnessey), Vic Firth Dave Weckl, and Vater Stewart Copeland. Vater proved to be the most durable hickory models while Pro-Mark's Japanese Oak were the most durable overall (while Ahead's aluminum/plastic hybrid is in a class of its own - although it's an unplayable class)

But if I had only one stick to buy for eternity, it would be the 16" X .540" Round Bead Wood Tip Vater 7A Manhattan. Just a wonderful fit, balance and sound.

I use the following sticks.

Vater 5 A wood tip.

Vater Jia John Blackwell sticks.

Vic Firth Harvey Mason wood tip, Steve Gadd wood tip, David Garibaldi, 7 A wood tip, Alex Acuna timbale sticks.

Vic Firth rods and brushes.

I use the following:

Vic Firth 5A (used to use)

Vic Firth 7A

Vic Firth Alex Acuna El Palo (for latin percussion)

Pro-Mark "The Natural" 5A

Pro-Mark Shira Kashi Oak 5A

Pro-Mark Shira Kashi Oak 7A

Pro-Mark Jason Bonham Sigs

Ahead Joey Jordison Sigs (used to use)

I just bought Zildjians Travis Barker sig a few days ago and they are just awesome. But the Danny Carey sigs (Vic Firth) are just great too.

1. Vic Firth SD2 Bolero wood and nylon tip.

2. Vic Firth SD10 wood and nylon tip.

3. Pro Mark Joe Morello.

4. Pro Mark SHira Kashi OAK MT3.

5. Mallets, brushes, hands jajaja

Fave stick: Vic Firth Artist Series David Garibaldi Jam Master ;)

Honorable mention:

Vic Firth Artist Series Dave Weckl Evolution

Ahead Tommy Lee Signature Studio (Concert ones are just too long - 17")

Ahead Lars Ulrich Signature

Zildjian Black Dip 5A / Regular 5A Wood Tip

Back