DW 9000 pedal users please chime in...

Well, after using it for a bit, the only sort of complaint I have is that I wish the foot board was a little bit longer. Not a complaint really, just something to put on the wish list.

I picked up a dw 9002 (not the newest model) this past black Friday (249 at GC after coupo s couldn't pass it up). I have been seriously pleased with it. Out of the box the spring tension was just right. Only a minor adjust to beater angle need and I was off to the races. Crazy smooth pedal and I haven't noticed any slave lag (but I am not a blaster). Anyway, I like the chain. I may try the included strap someday, but for now I am having too much fun to take it apart.

I was browsing my local drumshop, and came across a pair of used 9000s for very low price. When I bought them, they only didnt have the chains with them. They told me that they would call when they had the chains in. I have always played with chains, but the straps were AMAZING. I have the chains, but I dont use them because I like the feel of the strap better because it plays faster, lighter, and smoother, which is essential when playing doublebass patterns

I'm thinking about ,talking about getting one....anyone else.:):):)

Steve B

I think you should treat yourself this new year and go get one. Only your foot can tell you if you'll like it or not. I do admit to loving it, there were other factors that made me not like it. But I do recommend it to others. It's probably one of the best pedals on the market regardless of what I think.

Changed it to a strap as soon as I got it and never looked back. I love this pedal, and the felt beater sounds perfect for how I play.

I think you should treat yourself this new year and go get one. Only your foot can tell you if you'll like it or not. I do admit to loving it, there were other factors that made me not like it. But I do recommend it to others. It's probably one of the best pedals on the market regardless of what I think.

And look around! I got my 9000 from Guitar Center for almost $300 off because it's last year's model. The only differences are- different nut for adjusting cam shape - new model has rubber on bottom instead of velcro - new model has rubber in the bass drum clamp, but none of those are a big deal.

I made up enough valid points for why I needed a dw9000 and picked one up this weekend. I really do love it. I didn't have a problem with my 15 year old 5000, but was tired of moving that one back and forth from my ekit back over to my acoustics(just one of my valid points)The 9000 is better.

What's the difference in feel with the strap instead of chain?

I made up enough valid points for why I needed a dw9000 and picked one up this weekend. I really do love it. I didn't have a problem with my 15 year old 5000, but was tired of moving that one back and forth from my ekit back over to my acoustics(just one of my valid points)The 9000 is better.

What's the difference in feel with the strap instead of chain?

I don't think it's the material of the connection, it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap. I love it - my pedals really feel like they're slamming when I go for it. Having less weight (from a chain) seems to accentuate that feeling because you're moving less mass.

I had a DW 9000 for a few months and could never get comfortable with it. I ended up trading it and bought a Sonor Perfect Balance (JoJo Mayer) pedal. I found the DW 9000 felt too heavy for me. I had owned a DW 5000 and did not like that either. I prefer the round cam and strap drive and fold up feature of the Sonor PB pedal.

I don't think it's the material of the connection, it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap. I love it - my pedals really feel like they're slamming when I go for it. Having less weight (from a chain) seems to accentuate that feeling because you're moving less mass.

The cam...? I keep it at the same setting all the time. Totally round :)

That said the strap also sort of accentuates a "rubber band" feel because of the very slight stretching/catch up that the fibers do when pulled hard by the footboard.

Last edited:
Though I haven't tried the strap yet, I'm sure that the cam can be fully adjusted, using either the strap or chain.

Love my 9000, chains working great for me !

....it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap....

sorry, I meant that I keep it at the same setting all the time, not that it's stuck.

Indirect communication is funny sometimes. You were responding to Bo, and so was I, but I didn't quote him.
Anyways, the way he phrased it, someone who doesn't have the pedal might think that if you use the strap, you have to set the cam for eccentric action.
But, strap or chain, you can set the cam to eccentric or concentric, or anywhere in between.
I think most people will find the setting they're most comfortable with, and then just leave it there.

Are you using strap or chain? Explain your preference?

Well, I just changed out the chain for the strap. But I did so many other adjustments to it that I can't say how much change just doing that has made.
I'm trying to learn a new technique, so I removed the heel plate. It works much better now for that technique, but it's a little uncomfortable that way. Probably not made like the heel-less one that come that way.
Also changed out the self-locking nut on the bottom of the chain for a regular nut, till I get everything dialed in the way I want it. Then I'll put the self locker back on.
There's no pressure for me to have things working for gigs or whatever, so I'm just goofing around with stuff now, trying to see what works best.

EDIT: OK - my DW9000 exploration is over - ha ha. Most pedals it doesn't matter to me, but this is one on which I definitely prefer the chain. Maybe I've just gotten used to it that way, but it's back on and staying there. The heel plate is also back on. It's much more comfortable that way.
I was impressed with this pedal for the way I play, and that's how I'll use it. I've got other pedals that seem to work better for different techniques, like heel/toe, for example.
But that and constant release, and other techniques are fairly new to me, and I'm not proficient enough with them yet to incorporate them into my normal playing, which the DW complements very well, pretty much the way it was shipped out.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of the straps for The 9000 until one of them frayed and almost snapped within a month of using them! I couldn't believe the price of them either. £34 for two!

So now I'm back to chain and I love it, I'm just going to stick with it.

The spring being on the inside has never bothered me one bit, sure it's a little unconventional but it doesn't make it that difficult to adjust. Besides someone said it already, if you set it to how you like it then it's unlikely you'll need to adjust it.

One gripe I had when I first started playing them is where the beater housing is situated. It's so low down that the beater doesn't strike high-enough on the bass drum as I would like so I combated that with some Danmar redwood extended beaters (roughly about an inch longer than the standard beaters).

Saying that, another gripe I had with them was the locking screw for the right-hand beater is lower down than that of the left-hand beater which means you can only set the beaters as high as the right screw allows. Bit silly really, why not just keep them the same? I like to have my beaters near maximum length for power, swing and impact.

Terrific pedals, now they just need to lower the price of their replacement parts and supply with a better connector rod for the double and everyone will be happy.

But overall I love using them and the chain is serving me very well.

I was a big fan of the straps for The 9000 until one of them frayed and almost snapped within a month of using them! I couldn't believe the price of them either. £34 for two!

So now I'm back to chain and I love it, I'm just going to stick with it.

The spring being on the inside has never bothered me one bit, sure it's a little unconventional but it doesn't make it that difficult to adjust. Besides someone said it already, if you set it to how you like it then it's unlikely you'll need to adjust it.

One gripe I had when I first started playing them is where the beater housing is situated. It's so low down that the beater doesn't strike high-enough on the bass drum as I would like so I combated that with some Danmar redwood extended beaters (roughly about an inch longer than the standard beaters).

Saying that, another gripe I had with them was the locking screw for the right-hand beater is lower down than that of the left-hand beater which means you can only set the beaters as high as the right screw allows. Bit silly really, why not just keep them the same? I like to have my beaters near maximum length for power, swing and impact.

Terrific pedals, now they just need to lower the price of their replacement parts and supply with a better connector rod for the double and everyone will be happy.

But overall I love using them and the chain is serving me very well.

The 9000 single is an amazing pedal. The connector rod is the only gripe I would have with the double. DW sells a heavy duty one for $300+. At that price might as well go with the Trick pedals.

BTW you can get a universal drive shaft to replace the one that is standard on the dw9000/5000. The axis fits and I believe it costs around $150. I personally don't think it changes the feel but that's just my opinion.....

Back