The remote speedy hat

I would use this i I want to able to have a hi hat on my right like Lang/Roddy/Minneman.
It's not flexible enough. A remote hi hat is the only way to get the exact position you want. It's not a priority yet, but I plan on using my Eliminator remote stand with some mini hi hats mounted like David Garibaldi's. I could never do that with something like this.

Hey topgun2021, this will be perfect for a hi hat pedal & hats on the right if that's what you mean. I'm probably going to add one on that side as well.

As for the criticism of it not being flexible enough, I think you mean not flexible enough to have the pedal for your left foot and the hats on the right side of the kit, in which case you're correct. Of course, it's not designed to do that. It'd be like saying a Toyota Camry is a bad car because it can't win a drag race. Of course it can't, it's not designed to do that, but it does what it's designed to do extremely well.

I like this design.

That being said, I don't think I'll be having one on my set-up. I've been using a remote cable hat, as the main, on the right side for a long time. Left foot pedal - hats just over the first floor right of the ride in a two up two down set-up. My current remote, one of the DW 9000 jobbys is about 3 yrs old and still very serviceable. When it was new the action was very slick. The cable housing has, I am sure, worn a bit, but the overall feel is still very good. I've been setting up my kit this way since the late 80's and have hats on both sides, but I wouldn't want to go back to crossed. Old dog - new tricks kinda thing.

This pedal concept looks like it good be built to go that far, a bit tricky to deal with the kick drum though.

Hey, thanks for the compliment. It is indeed not designed to all the way over to the opposite side of the kit.

The advantage of moving it towards the center of the kit is that both hands can still play the hats, and more easily than ever. With a cable hat all the way to the right it's not very practical to play it with the left hand as well as the right. None the less, set up however you want and play whatever floats your boat!

On a side note, I've added an optional brace which allows tilting. Before it was only written in my patent, but now it's available.

happy drumming, Bill

That looks like a great hi hat Bill. I have always wanted to eliminate the crossover problem while keeping the hi hat on the right side and have tried many remote / cable hi hat set ups but was always frustrated with that slipping feeling. If it's as smooth as appears to be, this just might be what i need. A little pricey though considering i still have to have a stand and clamp.

Hey but what is it compared to the Gibralter ultra adjust hi-hat? ive been thinking and wanting to get it but this speedy hat things looks pretty awesome. but has anyone tried both? the Gibralter ultra adjust comes with no legs for clamps like the speedy and with legs. heres a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X-0qiXfy8

I have the unit and like it. Didn't know about the Remote Speedy Hat when i bought it (a year ago).

I am 6'7" and don't like sitting tight so it works. Just recently I replaced the center piece with a 7.5" piece that really helps. I will keep the Remote unit in mind.

The downside of the ultra is that the foot part doesn't swivel - which limits things a tad and the cables is not as smooth as without.

You can still adjust normal hats such that your sticks don't cross. You contort yourself a bit as compared to a remote hat, but it's not that big of a deal.

I've been using the 9550 for a year now and love it. Don't have a slipping problem as the previous guy mentioned.

See, there's my dilemma and what holds me back from trying a remote hat or some other contraption. On one hand, it seems silly to resist innovation and progress on the old trap set concept. OTOH - the stubborn traditionalist in me keeps me from doing anything "exotic" with my setup that would prevent me from playing on a "normal" kit.

Then again...it's not often I play someone else's drums. Man...I'm torn!

Hey Yammy, I'm all for each of us playing what we like and the way we like, so if it's working for you, then great! I would like to share an observation though:

Yes it's true that you can adjust your straight hi hat stand position and contort your hand so you don't have to cross, but why play with a "contorted" hand if you don't have to? Yes you can play with your right forearm sticking farther forward and a fully German grip with the stick pointing inwards relative to the forearm, but I know that for me it's not that comfortable. Plus German grip is nowhere near as good for finger control as French (which is why most drummers play somewhere in the middle). Moving a straight hi hat stand forward like that also puts your left foot a bit out of where it would naturally want to go, and I doubt that a double bass pedal will fit into that set-up very well.

I'm all for choosing the path of least resistance and greatest effect, and that's why the remote speedy hat was born!

Call me a "gadget geek" if you must, but it all comes down to wanting to gain the most out of my playing, and that said, I'm always looking for a new product that will help me improve my playing while gaining the advantage of smooth, natural movement. Economy of motion.

I think this Speedy Hat may just be the ticket to accomplish this. I haven't tried it yet, but I will approach it the same way I've approached every other new drumming product that I've tried. Gig grips, Gibraltar Curved rack, Ahead sticks, and the Duallist Pedal. With an open mind!!

Bill, this looks like an extremely versatile piece of gear with solid engineering and manufacturing behind it. I'm saving up my money as I believe this will be my next drumming "big ticket" purchase!!

it seems a little robust for placement.. hmm.

Hey romenydrummer64, it is indeed a very versatile and user friendly hi hat. If you check it out I'm sure you will love it, we have an ever growing list of extremely happy customers.

The Chicago drum show is this weekend, if you happen to be going stop by the Legacy Percussion Gear and try it out for yourself!

Bill..just came aware of this while checking out the chicago drum show vuds.Thing looks great,but i think im missing something.on your web site,your playing without the mounted tom..I dont see how im going to hit the tom with the hats there.....Help me see what im missing..

The video doesn't have any toms or hardly any cymbals because I wanted to focus on the hats. The following two pictures show a couple examples of how it could be set up with a full drumset.

You can also see how I set it up in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grl5SDfjaFk

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/grl5SDfjaFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/grl5SDfjaFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• Set trad over small size.jpg
    Set trad over small size.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 1,809
  • Set new over small size.jpg
    Set new over small size.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 5,101
Back