Music Resume and Teaching?

I am currently in the process of updating and modifying my resumes. I just got out of school full time and want to include my school related info. This got me thinking, why not a music resume?

A musical resume for me would be rather in depth. I have tons of band, studio, and live experience, as well as some teaching and freelance work.

I know lots of folks have business cards, but does that do any good if you are looking for a teaching job, or are starting up your own individual teaching program?

Just looking for others' opinions on this, and if you do have a music resume, does/has it helped at all? Or would I just be wasting my time?

Do you have a music teaching degree? That would help a lot.

No I don't. I am a designer/draftsman by trade, and just completed an AS program while the job market here was basically nil in that area. It is slowly coming back around, but I am considering other options still. I don't want to get stuck doing a job I don't like.

I would post flyers in places that allow you to do that, Craigslist, talk to the local grade school music teachers and see if they could send their percussionists to you.

I am currently in the process of updating and modifying my resumes. I just got out of school full time and want to include my school related info. This got me thinking, why not a music resume?

A musical resume for me would be rather in depth. I have tons of band, studio, and live experience, as well as some teaching and freelance work.

I know lots of folks have business cards, but does that do any good if you are looking for a teaching job, or are starting up your own individual teaching program?

Just looking for others' opinions on this, and if you do have a music resume, does/has it helped at all? Or would I just be wasting my time?

Good question....I took a 14 month sabbatical back in 05/06 and went to GIT and remodeled my kitchen. I thought, well, maybe I will teach guitar for some extra bones....I did exactly what you are asking about...made a nice 1 page music resume, had it printed on some sweet paper and laminated. Got two interviews here and one teaching offer. By the time the offer came around, I decided to get back to engineering so I did not take the job. I learned a lot going through the process though. Lots of noise on CL, so my philosophy was hand delivering the resumes to local shops and talking to the people up front.

I say do it.

Last edited:
I am also a drafter, and I also don't like the job. The problem is that there are so many drafters now that I don't think it is a good career anymore (besides the fact that the work sucks) because the wages have become stagnant due to a huge over-supply of semi-skilled drafters who will work for peanuts just to get a job.

I'm stuck doing this for now, but I'll eventually just start growing stuff (if you know what I mean, legally of course) because I know how to do it pretty good. Besides that, I decided that I just don't want to spend my life surrounded by those office worker types of people everyday of my life. The names and faces change, but the bullshit remains. I am also studying how to be a drum teacher too, but that will take a little time. I need to take a few lesson myself and I need to have a better grasp on my rudiments. I think a NARD membership would look good on my resume since I have no degree. At least I will have some kind of official certificate showing some credentials.

Long story short, maybe a NARD membership will be a great addition to your resume. It couldn't hurt.

I am also a drafter, and I also don't like the job. The problem is that there are so many drafters now that I don't think it is a good career anymore (besides the fact that the work sucks) because the wages have become stagnant due to a huge over-supply of semi-skilled drafters who will work for peanuts just to get a job.

I think my previous post was misunderstood. I like being a drafter, but until I can secure another drafting position, I want to try to do something else I would enjoy and not something I don't, like flipping burgers. I need to use my brain. If I don't I start to hate everything on a daily basis.

NARD is a good idea, I am glad you mentioned that. Definitely something to consider.

I think my previous post was misunderstood. I like being a drafter, but until I can secure another drafting position, I want to try to do something else I would enjoy and not something I don't, like flipping burgers. I need to use my brain. If I don't I start to hate everything on a daily basis.

NARD is a good idea, I am glad you mentioned that. Definitely something to consider.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I am totally burned out on it myself, but I'll spare you the details.

Good luck getting back at it. Certainly a degree will make you stand out hopefully better.

Back