Drums and Guns

Skulmoski

Gold Member
I loved the bumpersticker: Drums not guns. But, I found on bongomania.com the following:

Most percussion instruments we find in music shops in the US and Europe were manufactured in a factory in Thailand. Some of the different brands are actually made in the same factory. Furthermore, the Kaman corporation now owns LP, CP, World Beat, Matador, Toca, and Gibraltar, so really some of our so-called choices just fatten one big corporate pocket. Many people don't realize that Kaman also manufactures parts for missiles, bombs, and other military equipment. They are proud of their military business.http://www.bongomania.com/eng/articles/selecting.html

I wonder if this is still true. Does it matter to you?

GJS

Do I care....I should care I suppose...but military stuff is essential, so what are you gonna do? Make your own stuff? We need armies too unfortunately.

I don't use any of those brands so it's not an issue for me. As a general point, I would certainly refrain from doing business with any organisation I believed to be trading unethically.

This topic is most likely going to get too hot. I am not going to add fuel to the fire, just clarification. I checked to see if it were true and yes, it is the same Kaman - not two separate companies with the same name.

http://www.kaman.com/history/history_p.html

Before the post gets out of hand - maybe posts in this thread from now on should only be from people who live in countries that don't own helicopters or any other military equipment.

Food for thought.

Jeff

If you have problems purchasing products from companies that have ties or have in the past in any way to military equipment production you'll have a tough time. I think drum gear is the least of your worries. Get real people. Let me ask the people here...what kind of car do you drive??

If you have problems purchasing products from companies that have ties or have in the past in any way to military equipment production you'll have a tough time. I think drum gear is the least of your worries. Get real people. Let me ask the people here...what kind of car do you drive??

I hear ya. I met a person who refused to buy anything from the PRC. She found it extremely difficult buy things made elsewhere and spent a ton of money to do so.

GJS

All my guns are made in the USA. Well, 'cept the Glock.

All my guns are made in the USA. Well, 'cept the Glock.

Ours are too, except for the Glocks, they're from Austria. We make it a point not to drum when we shoot and not to shoot when we drum. Completely independent of one another, lol.

Dennis

They'll have to pry the drumsticks from my cold, dead hands. ;-)

I have permission to carry all of my hand drums concealed.

And do we know what other companies that make hardware that may be making parts for their military?

Doesn't bother me one way or another. I'm sure someone out of work would not mind working for a comonay that made both
musical instruments and military parts

I carried both Ludwig and Pearl in the service. Believe it or not we even had some loud brass from Canada! Canada! They're just too nice and polite to make anything brass.

Unfortunately that's just the way large businesses/corporations work in the modern day, there's just so much cross-relation (the proper term isn't coming to me at the moment) with the government and the private sector and other countries for that matter (don't even get me started on the red hoard that is China). What can you say, Eisenhower was right. Then again without the military being involved in industry I don't think we'd be as technologically advanced in the modern era. Look at satellite communications for example.

I have permission to carry all of my hand drums concealed.

And do we know what other companies that make hardware that may be making parts for their military?

Doesn't bother me one way or another. I'm sure someone out of work would not mind working for a comonay that made both
musical instruments and military parts

As it stands, I also have a FULL drum kit in the trunk, fully concealed. No one suspects a thing, but when they LEAST expect it, I'm gonna pull it out and FLAM on it.

It's gonna make SOMEONE jump scared!!!

It's your constitution right to be able to carry your hand drums concealed, you just need a very large coat. I believe it's in the 27th amendment or something like that.

Dennis

Do not discuss politics or religion on DW. Please refer to the forum rules before posting.

Back