girlfriends, wives, and the like coming to gigs

I strongly discourage it. GF/Wives/etc at the shows discourage the groupies! Why do you think Tommy Lee kept his chicks at home!

I don't really like it when I have a girlfriend at a show. I always feel like I have to entertain them before/after and during breaks. I don't like that feeling because I know there is stuff I need to be doing. Getting ready for the show, talking to club managers, talking to press, bloggers, fans, selling merchandise, etc.

It is really important for me to get out there and talk to all the people who came out and thank them, tell them about upcoming shows, band news, etc. When a girlfriend is there you have to give them attention and sit with them.

I guess it's a girl to girl basis though because one of the members of my band has an awesome wife and whenever we play she just sells shirts and cds and enjoys the show and is happy to be sitting alone. that is a special kind of woman for sure.

My girl does her best to make it to every show she can, but I don't think I could EVER let her fully help set up.

The first time she saw me with one of my bands, she was there for all the moving and prepping etc. So we're out at my other 2 bands' shared practice space, and I am picking things off my kit that I want to use. I hand her my 10in A custom splash and she fumbled it a few seconds later. Luckily, there was carpet on the ground, she was sitting down, and the splash was such a light cymbal it didn't have too much weight to break itself on.

I love her, and will forever, but I love my equipment too, and I am very glad that she's strong enough to hold a couple cymbal stands at once. <3

My girflriend is at all my gigs!...since it's my right hand :(. Seriously though, you are lucky.

If I were in your shoes I could "fingertip control" my girl 500 times a minute in perfect rhythm!

For the record, I would probably get slapped if she read this. Yay for internet anonymity!

Last edited:
Gad...it's good to hear all of this.

Recently one of the bands I am in got invited to play a really good adult venue with a great stage, sound, lighting, etc. I'm not sure how we got this because we aren't that well known yet and it's not a mid-week try-out / performance of new bands. We got a good Friday time slot.

I mentioned this gig (kind of excitedly) to my recently-turned 17 year old daughter. She mentioned she wants to come see me perform. I told her that would be cool, she can be my roadie or drum tech as I'm sure I could probably get her in as she looks older than 17. (They all do nowdays, along with the bodies to go with it, much to my unapproving fatherly foresight!)

She casually mentioned she would meet me there later to see me go on and play as she was SURE she could get a fake ID.

Great....Dad....the place serves alcohol and the legal drinking age in Texas is 21 now. Not to mention all the dudes there looking and "on the hunt" so to speak.

I miss the days when they were 5 and innocently playing with Barbie dolls......

I met my wife 24 years ago through music. She came to every gig & session (over 700) for 5 years before I gave up on the music business. We we're inseparable then and still are today. I start gigging again next month and she'll come to all of those as well. She helps set up, knows where all the stuff goes, gets me drinks then helps break down & unload back home. It doesn't get better than that, does it?

I miss the days when they were 5 and innocently playing with Barbie dolls......

ye i can understand that.... u should b careful wit ur daughter man, its probably going to be hard since your on stage, but maybe u should get a friend or such to kinda keep an eye on her, i dont know. Well my dad doesnt have that problem with me, since im the one gigging most of the time =D

I've thought about that. My 22 year old nephew is close and likes the venue. I'll even pay him to keep an eye on her. LOL

Back