Best Electric kit for $1000

tomartin

Hey guys as you can tell I'm fairly new to drumming, and I would imagine you get asked this question a fair bit, but I'm after an electric kit, I want the best for around $1k. Wouldn't mind spending less but rather not go over. I hear good about Roland but I still don't know what to look for. What would you experienced drummers recommend? Thanks!

Used Roland.

Spend some time on the net and craigslist. If you see something for sale, google it for pricing and reviews.

Look for mesh heads on the snare and toms.

I have used Alesis for several years with no problems.. for everything from acid jazz to thrash metal. This is 2 kits I joined (Alesis dm10 Studio and Alesis dm10X), each kit individually can be found for under 1k.

Attachments

• alesis1.jpg
    alesis1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3,515
I have used Alesis for several years with no problems.. for everything from acid jazz to thrash metal. This is 2 kits I joined (Alesis dm10 Studio and Alesis dm10X), each kit individually can be found for under 1k.
Just curious, how do you exactly join two modules to output to one source? (sorry if this is a newb question)

I would recommend the Roland TD-11ks, which I got for $900 Canadian, and then immediately upgrade the module with the $30 Apex expansion pack from Vex, which will give you 30 great kits based on Gretsch, Tama, Ludwig etc. You might waste time trying to tweak the factory kits, but just get this upgrade (actually it's more like a whole new module). The factory kits will still be in the module, but it now gives you amazing sounds in kits 1-30. There are 20 more kits for tweaking, playing around with etc. still in the module. The reason why you can get this TD-11 for under a $1000 is the rubber toms, but try it out and see what you think.

I'm with Gradier. I'd go for the td11 if I were in your position. Great sounds to start with and I'd slowly upgrade it 1 pad at a time. Then youll upgrade the module if you decide you like edrums. That's how I built what I have. You'll end up spending more this way, but you kind of build what you like and over a longer period of time.

Just curious, how do you exactly join two modules to output to one source? (sorry if this is a newb question)

Just connect the headphone output of one module to the Aux input of the other device and output from it. I'm using 2 DTX Multi-12's in tandem with this setup and they sound OK - avoids adding a mixer.

Last edited:
Back