Glasvegas - Terrible band

Here in the UK there is a band called Glasvegas. Probably one of the top 100 worst bands ever to be perfectly honest. The drummer is terrible and can barely play a straight beat, the guitarist is an indie kid who wants to be Elvis and they can barely play an instrument to be saved. However, they seem to be doing well (suprisingly after a 2 year break) and they released a new album which was supposed to be "amazing" by the words of many people. Then last night I was looking for a vocalist and I come across an ad saying "Lets start a Glasvegas Get to F*** Group!"
About 40 posts or something, so I gave the album I listen. Probably the most depressing earache ever. - still not as bad as BrokeNCYDE or Blood On The Dancefloor though-

Here in the UK there is a band called Glasvegas. Probably one of the top 100 worst bands ever to be perfectly honest. The drummer is terrible and can barely play a straight beat, the guitarist is an indie kid who wants to be Elvis and they can barely play an instrument to be saved. However, they seem to be doing well (suprisingly after a 2 year break) and they released a new album which was supposed to be "amazing" by the words of many people. Then last night I was looking for a vocalist and I come across an ad saying "Lets start a Glasvegas Get to F*** Group!"
About 40 posts or something, so I gave the album I listen. Probably the most depressing earache ever. - still not as bad as BrokeNCYDE or Blood On The Dancefloor though-

Not cool bro? you sound jealous.

Nah I can understand, it can be annoying when a band you really don't like makes it big. I try not to dwell on it too much myself though, there are too many awful bands making shed loads of money out there!

Nah I can understand, it can be annoying when a band you really don't like makes it big. I try not to dwell on it too much myself though, there are too many awful bands making shed loads of money out there!

True enough. +1 about the drummer. She really is totally crap, she has the accolade of actually being worse than Meg White lol.

True enough. +1 about the drummer. She really is totally crap, she has the accolade of actually being worse than Meg White lol.

Meg White is unique, and she actually knew how to play an instrument (suprisingly) but this girl, came from being behind a UK shop in Glasgow called Topman and then bought a £1000 drum kit knowing not what to do just to be in a band, no experience with a drum kit. She is terrible!

Not cool bro? you sound jealous.

No, it's just they are terrible! They're making money and like 76% of the population here in Scotland dislike them. So it's not jealousy, it's just people who can't play an instrument and just blow they're cash on it because the want to screw Elvis up the back end.

OK - so I went and checked 'em out. Then I went to iTunes to listen to snippets of their songs, and I was a little amazed that the first six songs that came up on their playlist kinda' sounded alike. They're very heavy on that reverb/huge church sound, and even though some songs are listed as explicit, I couldn't understand what he was saying anyway.

I was not impressed, but I wouldn't say they're terrible. They do have quite a nice website though, and I suppose their sincere in their efforts. Just not my cup of tea. I'm sure when I was into The Police in their hey-day, many people thought I was crazy too. Different era then though - if you got radio airplay, that was the goal. Nowadays groups get famous and if I don't hear them on the radio I don't know who they are. Gotta love the internets.

I agree with Bo - very samey, which is a pet hate. Still they're tight enough, including the drummer, which puts them ahead of bands who are sloppy but delude themselves that they can play flash.

Interesting that the drummer has an approach that blends Meg (big fat simple cymbal beats) and Moe Tucker (playing a deep drum with her hands instead of a kick drum with her feet). When Moe played with the Velvets she had a kick drum on its side on a stand.

Chris, I agree it's pretty ordinary music but not as bad as you make out IMO. At least she's not a machine (another pet hate) and it's always good to see a woman thumpin' the tubs :)

I agree with Bo - very samey, which is a pet hate. Still they're tight enough, including the drummer, which puts them ahead of bands who are sloppy but delude themselves that they can play flash.

Recordings mean nothing these days in terms of band tightness. You can make any old crap sound tight as a nut with the right "techniques"...

Yes, no label would let a high-profile release go out with out-of-time drums. Beat detective to the rescue!

Officially feeling creeped out right now, just got home after flicking through a paper on the train complaining about how bad they were.

Typical indie/scenester/electro/too vague to offend, too boring to excite.

Life as of now is marketed as pale, minimalist, and plastic in the mainstream.
Corporate music needs to follow this trend.

The machine needs this boring stuff. If being interesting was
cool right now it would be so much harder to market a lifestyle.

Make music that is real and leave them to their devices.
They have little demon families to feed.

Officially feeling creeped out right now, just got home after flicking through a paper on the train complaining about how bad they were.

lmao these guys must own some black helicopters. Never heard about them until today and I just got an email from a venue in Minnesota (US) for a June 1st show.

lmao these guys must own some black helicopters. Never heard about them until today and I just got an email from a venue in Minnesota (US) for a June 1st show.

They're from Scotland. And the people that like them usually have a really bad taste in pop music... Haha

Yeah, the cover was pretty dire but this group isn't about the music, it's about the show. I'm loathe to criticise established acts, even when I don't like them, because they're out there doing it and I spend half my life in the office :(

This group pretty well reflects one of the big movements in pop music. When music video got big then music became less about sound and more about visuals. That's why you get performers miming as they and their dance troupe do the moves.

I'm just grateful they're using a flesh and blood drummer rather than a machine.

The problems (to us) in the industry have been pretty well sliced and diced in this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74217

Back