Resonant Heads

drummerdude9610

Hey, I have had my set for about about 1 1/2 years and i dont know if i should replace the resonant heads. What are some signs that i may need to change them? what resonant heads do you recommend?

Some drummers change them with every batter head change.
I never do. If the resos tune and the drum sounds good I don't replace the resos.

Most people change bottom heads every third or fourth time they change batters, but there isn't any real rule about it.

There's no real way to know when it is time to change them just by visual inspection, unless they've actually sustained some kind of damage. As resonant heads age they begin to sound dull, hurting the overall tone. Because this happens in slow motion over months and sometimes years it's often hard to recognize just how dead they've become until they're replaced.

I've used all manner of heads on the bottom of toms, from pretty normal medium one-ply heads like an Evans G1 or Remo Ambassador, to thicker heads like the Evans G Plus and specialty heads like the EC Resonant or Strata, all the way up to a Hydraulic on the bottom of a floor tom!

What I've started recently is using the same head top and bottom to maximize the tonal character you get from a particular type of head. This has worked especially well for me using G-Plus, Strata, and Modern Vintage top and bottom, but this idea doesn't hold up as well when you want to use two-ply heads.

I'd start with a basic medium one-ply, like a G1 or Ambassador because they're easy to get, fairly inexpensive, and capable of a pretty broad range of sounds.

@winston wolf

you using the gplus clears top and bottom?

I was just thinking of trying this. How would you describe the sound of that combo?
Compared to say Emperors over ambassadors?
thx

I have begun using Evans G plus on the resos and find they are the best reso heads I have ever used.

I've been having a problem with the resonant head on my snare. At first, I had used the stock resonant head that came with my Tama kit. But, that broke after a few months, I found it with a hole one day, I don't even remember hearing it break.

I then bought a Remo Ambassador Clear for a replacement. I tuned it tight so the snare wires wouldn't make grooves in it. About a month later (today), I found a hole in it. I honestly don't know what to do, I just want a durable reso head for my snare.

I then bought a Remo Ambassador Clear for a replacement. I tuned it tight so the snare wires wouldn't make grooves in it. About a month later (today), I found a hole in it. I honestly don't know what to do, I just want a durable reso head for my snare.

The Ambassador snare side or the Evans Hazy 300 are both durable enough. Both these heads are industry standards.

Check your snare wires. Are there any rough welds on the underside that are coming into contact with the snare head and causing damage? Swap the wires if there's any sharp areas.

How tight are your snare wires? I don't think they should be making a noticeable groove in the reso head, no matter how loose it is.

Hey, I have had my set for about about 1 1/2 years and i dont know if i should replace the resonant heads. What are some signs that i may need to change them? what resonant heads do you recommend?

If they are the stock resos that came with the kit, run--don't walk--to your nearest shop or online outlet and replace them. Unless you have a high-end kit, stock heads are almost always awful. New clear Ambassadors or clear G1s will not only sound better but will be much easier to tune.

I usually change them out every six months to a year.

I've been having a problem with the resonant head on my snare. At first, I had used the stock resonant head that came with my Tama kit. But, that broke after a few months, I found it with a hole one day, I don't even remember hearing it break.

I hope you mean a hazy snare-side Ambassador--a regular clear Ambassador is a batter or resonant tom head, not a snare side head.

There's no such thing as a "durable" snare-side head. They are much thinner than batters or resos--2 or 3mil as opposed to 10mil +. (About the thickness of plastic food wrap.) As Pocket-full-of-gold said, you don't need a more durable snare reso, you need snare wires that don't poke holes in them.

I just put EC2's on the batters of my Gretsch Renown 10/12/14/22 kit and was thinking of using the same on the bottoms.

I read an article in MD a while back where an R/B pop guy was doing this and liked it, but someone said earlier that 2 ply on the reso side made tuning dificult.

What would you guys think about EC1's vs EC2's on the reso. I want a nice fat sound with very mild sustain and lots of punch and body. Also, I have mics on the kit about 75% of the time (so sustain needs to be present but with quick decay).

Thoughts?

stay funky

-C

Some drummers change them with every batter head change.
I never do. If the resos tune and the drum sounds good I don't replace the resos.

You could tell anyone, a pro drummer, person in the audience that you just changed your reso heads and they wouldn't know if you did or not. If your reso heads sound dead, mess with their tuning, it might be all they need.

If your not gigging, 1.5 years on the bottom heads is most likely a non issue. Wait till your shop or MUSCICIANS FRIEND etc. has a real good sale on reso heads, that's probably the perfect time to change them.

Back