Cymbal Bag/Case

Honestly please get a hard case the softer one's just dont compare. When your all exhausted after a show(depending on the type of music i guess) you can get a bit clumsy and just knowing that if you totally dropped your cymbal case with them in it they still would be safe is reassuring. were the softer one's leave your edges up to get damaged.Wy drop The better half 0f $1500-$2000(Nz $)And not fork out a bit extra for a hard case. I just learnt this the hard way when the edge of my canadian made vintage Zildjian Hit a curb whilst transporting.(lucky i managed to sand the chip out was'nt to bad).Hard case was brought the next day.SKB's are great as i think the cymbal safe might not be able to hold 8 cymbals? i could be wrong though.

I have an SKB hardcase, and it fits my 24" K Light Ride. After I put that cymbal in, though, there's only room for about 2-3 more cymbals, depending on their profile. I would be happier if they made their cases a bit deeper so they could hold more cymbals.

Because of this, I use cymbal bags to haul my cymbals around. I have my "sets" in different bags. My 24" ride goes in my Zildjian 24" bag, along with 3 other crashes (19", 18", 16") and some hats. They don't all fit in the SKB case, unfortunately. I take the SKB case out when I'm just transporting just my ride and sticks/brushes, like for jazz and church gigs...

Oh yeah, and for the OP (zephead), the Zildjian bag that's designed to hold 24" cymbals holds a LOT of cymbals and is very sturdy. It has a non-slip bottom, slots (not padded though) to protect the cymbals, a padded shoulder strap, and a huge pocket on the opposite side as the high hat pocket so you can put sticks, notebooks, etc. in it. I have read reviews on it that say it falls apart, but after using mine for about 4 years, I can testify that it's well-made and can handle gigging about 6 times a month without any sign of wear so far...

I have an SKB hardcase, and it fits my 24" K Light Ride. After I put that cymbal in, though, there's only room for about 2-3 more cymbals, depending on their profile. I would be happier if they made their cases a bit deeper so they could hold more cymbals.

Because of this, I use cymbal bags to haul my cymbals around. I have my "sets" in different bags. My 24" ride goes in my Zildjian 24" bag, along with 3 other crashes (19", 18", 16") and some hats. They don't all fit in the SKB case, unfortunately. I take the SKB case out when I'm just transporting just my ride and sticks/brushes, like for jazz and church gigs...

Oh yeah, and for the OP (zephead), the Zildjian bag that's designed to hold 24" cymbals holds a LOT of cymbals and is very sturdy. It has a non-slip bottom, slots (not padded though) to protect the cymbals, a padded shoulder strap, and a huge pocket on the opposite side as the high hat pocket so you can put sticks, notebooks, etc. in it. I have read reviews on it that say it falls apart, but after using mine for about 4 years, I can testify that it's well-made and can handle gigging about 6 times a month without any sign of wear so far...

I'm surprised the SKB doesn't hold more. My Humes & Berg case holds all 8 of my cymbals, including a China and rubber cushioning pads between each cymbal. I think I could squeeze in another cymbal or two if I had to.

You must have the smaller case, SKB do make a bigger one.(the top one)
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?o=&c=97&s=77

I brought my one second hand so its design is alot different to these one's.If you have a china (especially the 2002 non novo china's) its nearly impossible to find a bag that will fit those because of the big butt holder on it.something to consider.

Attachments

• paiste.jpg
    paiste.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 11,220
You must have the smaller case, SKB do make a bigger one.(the top one)
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?o=&c=97&s=77

I brought my one second hand so its design is alot different to these one's.If you have a china (especially the 2002 non novo china's) its nearly impossible to find a bag that will fit those because of the big butt holder on it.something to consider.

I have two Wuhan chinas, 12" and 15", with those "handle" bells, that I carry in a bag with my other cymbals. the 12" goes in the exterior hi-hat pocket with the bell facing out, and the 15 goes in the opposite side, facing the opposite way. No problems whatsoever. I don't even feel the 15's bell when I wear it as a backpack. [It's a Hohner, or HHS when it existed, had it for 6 years now.]

Depending on your other cymbals, you can try sorting by bell size rather than diameter.
I also have a 24" light ride and the bell is smaller than my 22" rides 20"rides and 18" crash.
You can try putting smaller diameter but larger bells in first.

Wayne

Depending on your other cymbals, you can try sorting by bell size rather than diameter.
I also have a 24" light ride and the bell is smaller than my 22" rides 20"rides and 18" crash.
You can try putting smaller diameter but larger bells in first.

Wayne

I've tried that. The Light Ride, when put in first, takes up the vertical space from where its bell rests all the way up to where the lid closes near the edges. If I put it in as the second cymbal, I can't close the lid. Its profile is pretty flat, too. Other cymbals that I put in either before or after it have a higher profile to diameter ratio, and usually bigger bells, so they instantly take up the rest of the space.

Like I said, I wish they made their case a little deeper...

If you have more that 5 cymbals you better get a hard case. So many types and models offered in the market like tuffbox case (www.tuffbox.com) which is less expensive $40 it made with 1/4 plywood my tought it is better that any polyethene (plastic mold) case but hold less than 8 pcs (4" deep). I got my Sabian ATA flight case (for paragon series) 24" x 24" x 10" used on ebay for $86 + $15 shipping (it is worth) the new case cost about $250, it hold up to 12 cymbals. My suggestion please check craiglist or ebay for less expensive hardcase or ATA case.

www.temporarycitizens.com

I'm surprised the SKB doesn't hold more. My Humes & Berg case holds all 8 of my cymbals, including a China and rubber cushioning pads between each cymbal. I think I could squeeze in another cymbal or two if I had to.

did you put cymbal separator.divider in between ?, as far as i know cymbal case in the market like SKB or zildjian cymbal safe doesn't hold more that 7 cymbal (thats maximum) if more than that you can even close or tight down the wing nut properly.

I don't know if this will help for other hardcases, but I use the Zildjian hardcase and just put a cut cymbal bag between each cymbal.
The plastic bag you usually get when you buy a new cymbal... One bag gets you 2 'protectors'. Just slit the bag along the seams and you have free cymbal protectors that don't take up any space.

Hey Zephead19,

I see that you're located in Western New York, and I'm assuming you mean the state and not the city. If that's correct, go to Buffalo Drum Outlet (despite the name it's actually located in Depew, NY). It's a fantastic store and a Five Star Drum Shop to boot. Paul the owner is an awesome guy and he'll give you the skinny on any piece of gear you want.

I used to go there all the time back when I lived in Buffalo and I still occasionally call and order stuff through them that Paul ships up to me in Canada.

If you live anywhere remotely close then do yourself a favor and check it out!

That being said, I have a Zildjian Cymbal Safe as well as three soft bags (2 Ritter's and a Sabian). I find the bags can hold more cymbals than the hard case and I use carpet underpadding to put between the cymbals when I use the bags. If I use the hard case, I put thin cymbal felts between each cymbal. I prefer using the bags because they're a lot quicker and easier to load/unload and I've fortunately never had an issue with damaging my cymbals. I am very careful though and I don't let anyone pack/unpack or load/unload my cymbals when transporting them. The hardcase obviously provides more protection, but both soft cases and hard cases can allow damage in different ways. With soft cases, the edges are more prone to damage and they are also vulnerable if something were to fall on top of the case. With hard cases, the edges are safe and they are well protected if something falls on them, but the cymbals are loaded in by mounting them onto a metal post which leaves the center-hole of cymbals vulnerable should the case fall over, get dropped, etc. Just something to keep in mind. Too bad they don't make hard cases that have a padded/soft center-post that's durable enough to not get cut by the cymbal.

Can a hardcase not damage your cymbals if dropped too? I mean I don't use one and haven't even really seem the one mentioned but my dad has got an old one and there is a metal piece that goes through the holes of the cymabls and it seems like it could do damage to the bells if dropped. Just wondering if this is the case?

Can a hardcase not damage your cymbals if dropped too? I mean I don't use one and haven't even really seem the one mentioned but my dad has got an old one and there is a metal piece that goes through the holes of the cymabls and it seems like it could do damage to the bells if dropped. Just wondering if this is the case?

From my previous post...

With hard cases, the cymbals are loaded in by mounting them onto a metal post which leaves the center-hole of cymbals vulnerable should the case fall over, get dropped, etc.

So to answer your question, yes, this is the case.

I've been using a Zildjian cymbal safe for about the last 13 years and recently picked up a cymbal bag. Man, way easier to deal with - just a quick unzip and unfettered access to all my cymbals without having to take out everything just to get to my ride (if that's all I want). To me that's huge. I'm really sick of screwing together hardcases and having to put cymbals in there in a certain order.

Sure the extra protection afforded by a hardcase is nice (and required if you're flying), but I've always handled it very gingerly anyway, so a softcase is as effective and just easier to use.

Of course, I'm the ruler of my cymbals. I'm careful to always be the person schlepping them around for gigs.

I have a Humes-berg tuxedo soft bag,holds 8 cymbals,I like being able to scoop up all my soft cases and throw them in my hardware tub.Love the bags.no issues ever.........

Back