Chad Kent

found this old thread from a search, I wondered if anyone was familiar with him.

Unfortunately Atomship is no more. Hopefully Chad will find another gig that will afford him some exposure, he sure is a chops monster~

All those Atomship fellows were really friendly and good guys, I was sorry to see the band break up. We got the chance to hang out with them at several of our shows, and they were always great company.

He is back with Slate in AtomshipDown now so that is good to hear. Should be awesome to hear what their new album is going to be like. Heard is was a double disc so hopefully "fingers crossed" their are some cool drum solos in there.

He's in Atomship Down, formerly known as Atomship. He is extremely fast and talented.

He also blatantly stole Danny Carey's "Eulogy" beat in the song "Friends" by Atomship.

Oh well.

Big fan listen to his stuff daily play along daily working really hard on Monthr this man needs to post a reply himself be pretty cool to see if he's still giggin

I completly agree with all of you, Chad Kent is an amazing drummer. I'd love to know what is he doing now, because Atomship doesn't exist anymore, their album The Crash of 47' Year is just impossible to find in stores, and now the band is called Papercut massacre and Chad is not anymore in the band.

do you nows guys, what Chad is doing now?

thanks

Geoff.

I completly agree with all of you, Chad Kent is an amazing drummer. I'd love to know what is he doing now, because Atomship doesn't exist anymore, their album The Crash of 47' Year is just impossible to find in stores, and now the band is called Papercut massacre and Chad is not anymore in the band.

do you nows guys, what Chad is doing now?

thanks

Geoff.

Papercut Massacre is actually a completely separate band. When Atomship recorded their album, their vocalist could not take part because his wife was giving birth at the time. To fill in, the label got Joey Culver to step in (all of the vocals that are heard on "The Crash of '47" are actually Culver's, not the official Atomship vocals).

Papercut Massacre is Culver's newest project, and the record is amazing. And as for AtomshipDown, their official website is their myspace, which has been inactive since Dec. 28th of 2008. Kent has not been in anything since, which is a crying shame.

Hi everybody who loves Chad Kent,
I discovered Atomship accidentally few months ago. My friend, (also veeeery talented and known in the Europe drummer, But I tell U about him later) has been listening them and fascinating very much. I catched a virus... But the original CD is immpossible to find in any store or site in Europe. Afterall I've found "The crash of '47" on U.S. Ebay site and ordered immidiatelly. Can You believe that even in States only few guys got it, and only one has a brand new product? Why nobody knows such a band??? Chad appears to me as one of most tallented drummers in the world. Those drummers who tried to play simetric hi-hats during playing 5/4 metrum, knows what I mean. Does anybody heard those basses in Mothra live? I wonder if he is really able to obtain such speed without triggers??? Its unbelievable. But even if he uses triggers its not a shame for him. Anyway its a disaster Atomship split off. I will popularise them in Poland where I came from, they all are worth it.
And now few promised words for those who really enjoys genious, but not known music. My friends name is Marcin Gołębiewski alias Zabek, those who ever listen grind core band Yattering knows him very well. So, He and few friend gathered and create new project called AntiMotivational Syndrome, A.M.S. for abbreviation, but dont search for them yet, they are still recording in studio now. The first album should appear in february, march this year and it will be called "Corridor". if You enjoy Atomship its certain You will love AMS. I will be shot down for this message...
Sorry for my terrible english, cheerz!!!!

Last edited:
Chad Kent is amazing! Everyone points to Mothra as his best song but every song on the whole album would be really difficult to learn. There are a couple of absolutely blazing shuffles on there, as well as a couple polyrhythms (the one in "Friends" is the same one Danny Carey used in the Tool song "Eulogy"). His footwork is also very good.

Papercut Massacre is actually a completely separate band. When Atomship recorded their album, their vocalist could not take part because his wife was giving birth at the time. To fill in, the label got Joey Culver to step in (all of the vocals that are heard on "The Crash of '47" are actually Culver's, not the official Atomship vocals).

Papercut Massacre is Culver's newest project, and the record is amazing. And as for AtomshipDown, their official website is their myspace, which has been inactive since Dec. 28th of 2008. Kent has not been in anything since, which is a crying shame.

ya wish he was still w them, i had the pleasure of being his neighbor for a couple of years and got to listen to him play. his talent is unbelievable, i got to sit on his couch and listen to him play. it was right before i moved, like my own concert or something. even though ive moved away from there we are still good friends.

I've loved atomship since I heard a cover to Withered. Today I finally downloaded their album and I've loved. Chad is amazing and seems to just be playing random stuff but then you see his beat as it repeats.

Does anyone know when their new album will be out?

I'm not big on the technical scene on knowing if drummers are technically sound, but my friend is. I was just wondering what you guys thought of a pretty unknown drummer Chad Kent, he's in the band Atomship. Currently he is probably my favorite drummer, and I would just like to see your guys' opinion about him.

Also, what do you guys think of Chimaira, Trivium, and Shadows Fall's drummers? They're also some of my fav's.
Chad Kent is, essentially, the underappreciated God of Drumming. For years I have tried to figure out exactly what it is about his style that is so different than what any other drummer has done or does... Chad has an unparalleled genius that, because of Atomship's relative obscurity, has largely gone unnoticed and therefore unappreciated. However, lead any drummer to his music and they all join in the Chad-as-Genius sentiment (especially when they realize that yes, he is actually playing exactly what you hear live). Chris Adler sits in second place for me, but with his motorcycle accident it's likely that second place will fall further and further away. Third place in my book? Jaska Raatikainen (Children of Bodom)

Back