Any ideas on this?

soulfly28

Any ideas on how to get these stable? I have my 22" kick mounted to the hoop. The master of my 20" to the hoop. The second pedal to my 20" is kinda just hanging out. Then there is my hi hats pedal. Ideas?

Attachments

• 102_1656.JPG
    102_1656.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 247
I'm confused??? Are you using a double pedal on your double bass drum setup?

You have two bass drums, why do you need three pedals. Two single pedals and the hats is all you need. It looks like you are trying to re-invent the wheel

I have the double bass pedal on my 20", which I play most of the time. I really only use the 22 if I'm playing late 60's rock, for that lower end bass. The bass drums are 2 different sizes.

That's certainly an... Interesting setup. I dunno what to say?! I would suggest moving the slave pedal to the right of your left bass drum pedal. Then purchasing a legless hi-hat stand, mounting it to your left bass drum, and put the hi-hat pedal to the left of your left bass drum. That's confusing just to type... I hope your have better luck setting it up. You're definitely on to something. You're also definitely one-of-a-kind! ;) much respect to you, but that looks tough to play!

That's certainly an... Interesting setup. I dunno what to say?! I would suggest moving the slave pedal to the right of your left bass drum pedal. Then purchasing a legless hi-hat stand, mounting it to your left bass drum, and put the hi-hat pedal to the left of your left bass drum. That's confusing just to type... I hope your have better luck setting it up. You're definitely on to something. You're also definitely one-of-a-kind! ;) much respect to you, but that looks tough to play!
+1 on that. You need to align all your pedals nicely and you're in more need of a leg less hi-hat than any drummer in history (most of us DB players have just the 2 pedals to contend with on our left side- 3 makes things trickier)!
Had to read through your post a couple of times before I understood what you were doing but it makes sense if you want the sound from two different bass drums.
While a clamp attachment from the hoop of your left bass drum to your hi-hat stand will solve that problem, not sure what you can do bout the slave. As long as the connecting rod doesn't interfere with the primary beater of your left bass I guess it's all good?

I will admit that whe I am playing the 22 with a closed hi hat it is a little strange. Both legs are are the hi hat side of the snare. I'll look into those leg less hi hat stands. Thanks.

Or get a 2nd double kick pedal and have your 2nd bass drum to the right hand side of your kit, like Stanton Moore. Dave Weckl used to do it too.

This kit is a monster 13 piece just in the shells. I have went through and tuned them all differently. Currently, my single pedal and my double pedal linkage don't touch, but it's extremely close!!! Another double bass pedal is a thought I have been tossing around. I am just concerned that I will have linkage clearance problems. I may just have to buy one and see what happens. If I had a rack, I would just do a remote hi hat. Maybe this kind of stuff is why we don't see the monster kits of the 80's anymore:(

PDP, DW, Pearl and probably a few other companies have 2 legged hi hat stands that would probably allow you to get that hi hat stand in a much more playable position.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pdp-hh820-2-leg-hi-hat-stand

PDP makes the cheapest one, can't vouch for it, but I can for the Peal. If it's set up properly the extra mass gives it just as much stability as a 3 legger.
Also, you wouldn't have the latency of a cable driven remote hihat this way.

Or get a 2nd double kick pedal and have your 2nd bass drum to the right hand side of your kit, like Stanton Moore. Dave Weckl used to do it too.

If you've got the room, moving the kick to the right side like this would probably save you the most space.

Last edited:
Back