Down-sized sticks - My wrists now hurt?

Max99

So recently (about a month ago) I switched down from 5B sticks to 5A. Before the switch I never really found myself having problems with my wrist, but after I started using the 5A's my wrists certainly can't hold up playing for as long. They become tired pretty quickly when I'm playing. Is this normal? Or has something gone wrong with my technique?
Thanks

Perhaps you are playing louder to compensate for the smaller, lighter sticks? This would cause more fatigue. The reason for smaller sticks, asside from feel, is to play softer. If you are not going to do that, go back to the 5B's IMHO.

I used to use 2B's and switched to 5B's with no real issues. I did try to use the maple stick and found them to be too light feeling in my hands so I felt that I needed to grip tighter in order to control the stick....not good. I switched back to Vic Firth hickory or Zildjian hickory and no problems.

Perhaps you are playing louder to compensate for the smaller, lighter sticks? This would cause more fatigue. The reason for smaller sticks, asside from feel, is to play softer. If you are not going to do that, go back to the 5B's IMHO.

This was gonna be the first question I asked too.

You shouldn't feel pain or fatigue simply by changing sticks. I have 7A's, 5A's, 5B's and 3A's in my bag. I play all of them the same way with no problems at all.

I can play just as loudly with 7A's as I can with 5A's.

Check your technique. The change in stick size most likely messed with your stick control or wrist movement, or the difference could have subconsciously caused you to start getting tense in your wrists.

I can play just as loudly with 7A's as I can with 5A's.

Personally I play louder with heavier sticks. Right now I use Regal 5A Maple (when I can find them). When I go with oak or larger sticks I play louder. I let the sticks do the work, not my hands. I have been asked to play softer (for pit work) and then go to a 7A or 8A.

I find I go quieter with smaller sticks, but that's not actually anything to do with the size of the sticks. I have quite small hands and find that I have much greater control with the smaller sticks - at the moment I'm playing Vic Firth 7As and 8Ds and these are about 'right' for me. Because I have greater control, I'm able to play more quietly.

Somebody who has bigger hands may very well find the opposite is true.

As for the wrists? Well, that would be a technique issue. I suggest re-analysis of your wrist action.

Back