The Recording Thread

sebob

Hi, I was looking for some infos on this topic and I didn't find a thread that was covering the general aspects of recording drums. It would be fine to know more about the different ways to record drums and the price range. I'm looking for some general informations like types of microphones, plugs, mixers and everything that is more technical. I just feel like I have a lot to learn on this topics and may be others can benefit of this thread too. On my side, I would be interest in buying some microphones and a mixer. I just don't know where to start! I have a 8-piece kit with 5 cymbals + Hats and I have a limited budget.

What would be the best for me?

I'm in a very similar situation myself, so, hope some players more experienced in recording can tell us what they think, I have another similar thread with what I looked up and thought could work for me and my budget.

Fox.

There are TONS of threads already on this. If you type "recording" or "microphone" or "mixer" into the search box, you should come up with a LOT of different threads.

And, when you say "limited budget", how much exactly are you talking about? One person's "limited" is another person's luxury. With an actual figure, people can help a little better...

Well, 800/900 tops for mixer and mics myself. Pretty limited considering the huge prices on these things...

Not if you buy used. :D

It depends how many tracks you want to record at once, and what you're recording them to (tape, DAT, ADAT, hard disk, etc...). Also, you'll need to figure in the cost of cables, etc...

Let's start with this:
1. What kind of kit do you have
2. What does your kit look like (how many toms/cymbals/etc)
3. What medium are you recording onto?
4. Do you have a particular drummer/album that you want your finished recorded sound to sound like?
5. Describe the room you'll be doing the recording in (bedroom? basement? garage?)

I think its a great idea to record your self. Its vital to improving your playing.
What do you intend to do ? Do you just want to record your drums for your self. The recording
gear can get very expensive. I suggest you go to your local music store and talk to someone who can help you out with what you need.

Not if you buy used. :D

It depends how many tracks you want to record at once, and what you're recording them to (tape, DAT, ADAT, hard disk, etc...). Also, you'll need to figure in the cost of cables, etc...

Let's start with this:
1. What kind of kit do you have
2. What does your kit look like (how many toms/cymbals/etc)
3. What medium are you recording onto?
4. Do you have a particular drummer/album that you want your finished recorded sound to sound like?
5. Describe the room you'll be doing the recording in (bedroom? basement? garage?)

I attached a picture of my kit (it's also on my profile, but this'll be easier for everyone that looks at the thread). I'll be recording into a very modern computer, but the sound card isn't great (although I'm not sure how important this is, considering I want to get a professional mixer as interface between the computer and the mics)
Anyway, how safe is it to buy used on these type of things? Because it's not like a cymbal, where you can easily see if something's wrong.
I really like Gavin Harrison's sound (obviously?). It's a small bedroom, I attached some pics.
I'm thinking something like a 16 channel, so I can run all my band's mics through there, plus the 9 mics I have planned for my kit.
I really like the features and price on this mixer, but it only has 6 channels for mics.

Thanks for taking the time, Fox.

Attachments

• Sonor 3007 +  Assorted Stagg Cymbals.jpg
    Sonor 3007 + Assorted Stagg Cymbals.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 160
  • P4150014.JPG
    P4150014.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 157
  • P4150017.JPG
    P4150017.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 157
  • P4150016.JPG
    P4150016.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 158
i recommend a firewire mixer, and if you dont have a firewire port on your computer you will need to get a fire wire card. all of you individual mics will be recorded on separate tracks on your computer so you can add effects and change the volume of each mic after you record it, and you can get the set up for under 900.

Hmm...so you have 9 mics "planned" for your kit. What are those, exactly? Snare, kick, 4 toms, 2 overheads, and.....????

Are you going to try to use these for recording demos/albums/projects, or just something for practice/playback purposes? If you're actually planning on using the mics for recording something that you're going to put out there, 900 smackers is being pretty skimpy, especially if you're going to buy new mics. Just sayin'. Figure around $200 for the kick mic, and $100 per snare and tom mic, at least $200 for each condenser you use as an overhead, and about $25 a pop for each cable. This doesn't include the mic stands or clamps you will use, or the mixer, or the AD converter. It looks like you'd need to "treat" that room for acoustics, too.

Nice kit, by the way!

Thanks.
And one for the hi hat.
Well, but you said I should consider used, maybe I can get better stuff that way, but as I said, how's that market? How can I be sure what I'm getting isn't broken, it's not as easy to test as a Drum or Cymbal.

Fox.

If online, I would check the bay for stores that are selling used or demo models. I picked up 5 micro Ds and D6 for $100 each in like new perfect working condition. I agree on being skepticle on used electronics of any sort.

Thanks.
And one for the hi hat.
Well, but you said I should consider used, maybe I can get better stuff that way, but as I said, how's that market? How can I be sure what I'm getting isn't broken, it's not as easy to test as a Drum or Cymbal.

Fox.

...okay, one for the hat, too. The hats are typically picked up with great clarity in the overheads, but if you want that close-miked hi hat sound, then get after it!

You need to be able to try something before you buy it, or have a good and reliable return option. eBay won't cut it...you'll need to scour the local want ads, pawn shops, etc... You'll piece it together eventually. The market is still down right now on used music gear, so get it while it's cheap!

I'd recommend Audix D-series mics, Audix I-5, Shure 57, AKG D112, AKG C1000, just to name a few. Stay away from CAD and other cheaper brands...

OK, I found this mixer. It has 16 mic imputs, so it should cover my band perfectly. But it doesn't seem to have an USB or any other computer interface, so, how would I record directly into my PC with it?

Fox.

Last edited:
OK, I found this mixer. It has 16 mic imputs, so it should cover my band perfectly. But it doesn't seem to have an USB or any other computer interface, so, how would I record directly into my PC with it?

Fox.

That seems a bit expensive for your $900 budget. I'd look online to see what hardware is compatible with your software and try to find an AD converter that has 16 inputs. Then, find a mixing board that has a designated out for every single channel you have running in (and I'm not talking about one of those, "Well, if you put a 1/4" jack halfway into the 2nd effects buss, it will act as an out for channel 12..." things). The cheapest way to find something like this would be to look for an older soundboard, one of the ones with the wood paneling on the sides. They're usually still in very good shape with no noise and decades of service left in them. Also, keep an eye out for microphones as well in your local want ads/pawn shops/craigslist. The thing that I would suggest buying new, though, is the cords. You'll need however many XLR cables (16 @ $25 a piece = $400) and 16 1/4" patch cables to get from your mixer to your AD converter. Also, whatever sound card or firewire capabilities you find out that you can use with your computer and software.

As you can see, this gets pretty expensive really fast, but even going the "cheap mid-level route" like I'm suggesting will get you in the ballpark of a good recording set up. If you go for an uber-cheap set up ($10 XLR cables, CAD mics, Behringer mixer, etc...), you'll have blown your whole budget and end up with recordings that you can never quite get to sound good...

Back