Travis Barker

his drums and the beat he played on the boost mobile commercial was pretty sweet. He has so much dedication to drumming, he loves everything about him. And on that note, i can respect him. I do think he is an amazing drummer, not the greatest, but he is damn good. Try playing the begginning of feeling this..

tylernator said:
Try playing the begginning of feeling this..

The beginning of feeling this isn't hard :)...

But i agree that he has skills, and his drumming is pretty ahead of most punkdrummers,so...cheers to him.

it's harder than you think. lotsa ghost notes there. and whoever posted before you, don't laugh at the guy. have some self respect.

well there is some ghosts notes but its not really anything. ive seen him do it many times. its just a triplet with a an accent on the first beat. nothing to hard

ewanlaing said:
it's harder than you think. lotsa ghost notes there. and whoever posted before you, don't laugh at the guy. have some self respect.

That's not harder than i think.

For a beginner, it's hard. But i think most of us aren't beginners here,so...

Dance of Eternity is hard :)

travis is a great drummer to get influences from....i mean, i play in all sorts of bands, but i started in a punk band, and i kept listening to him...his influence got my speed up, which gave me the confidence to feel like i was ready for anything...he's not the studio drummer best, because he doesn't put as much into that, but he makes everything faster and more amazing live for me to give him the credit he deserves...but i think he's great for people to listen to when first starting out on drums...you build up speed, and then you begin to look at all aspects of drumming differently...it makes some things seem easier...i guess what i'm trying to say is that i'm kind of proud to find people who don't criticize Travis Barker like they did in Drum! magazine....um, ya..

lfdy said:
That's not harder than i think.

For a beginner, it's hard. But i think most of us aren't beginners here,so...

Dance of Eternity is hard :)
ah, sorry. i know its not too hard, and i was mainly annoyed at the other guy laughing. i like how travis keeps a simple set, and is still able to do some really neat fills on it. although if you want simple, take a look at the subways drummer's set.

ewanlaing said:
ah, sorry. i know its not too hard, and i was mainly annoyed at the other guy laughing. i like how travis keeps a simple set, and is still able to do some really neat fills on it. although if you want simple, take a look at the subways drummer's set.

Yeah, true, he does invent some cool fills. He uses a lot of hihat in them too, that's a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of huge kits...

i guess since im such a huge fan of travis barker and always have been im gonna post my 2 cents worth. i really enjoy travis barkers chops, creativity, and style when it comes to playing. not only is he a amazing drummer but hes fun to watch. hes very animated and has a really distinctive sound. he grew up playin latin, jazz, and calypso style drumming so hes very well rounded. i suggest you guys download his MTV Duets episode and see how he taught a kid to drum along side him to "Stay together for the kids"-blink 182. he does some really cool fills in there, and displays his creativity very well. overall people should stop knockin travis and calling him a showoff, and overrated because if you did a little research before posting you'd find that the man has killer chops, and a very wicked style, and he intergrates it all together in a awesomly creative manner. thanks for your time.

I have allways loved travis. i knew a guy that has drumed with him, he said that he is a REALLY nice guy, and you give him a song, 3 mins you have an insane beat and creative fills. He is well rounded, shown in a video on this site. Also i find his stuff fun to play and to watch.
thank you for your time,
-Cj

Travis Barker Sound

What type of heads would give me a sound simler to travis barker. I dont know many other drumers, but Blink 182 is basicly my favorit band.(please dont come here to flam me him or there music) Some other bands I like are AC DC, ZZ Tops, Green Day, Santania, Deep purple, U2, NOFX, Wezzer, Maticalica(Sp?) and many more.

Any sugestions of heads / tuning are welcomed. If it is posable I want to only change my batter heads.

Thank you,
Red

Re: Travis Barker Sound

Redhead said:
What type of heads would give me a sound simler to travis barker. I dont know many other drumers, but Blink 182 is basicly my favorit band.(please dont come here to flam me him or there music) Some other bands I like are AC DC, ZZ Tops, Green Day, Santania, Deep purple, U2, NOFX, Wezzer, Maticalica(Sp?) and many more.

Any sugestions of heads / tuning are welcomed. If it is posable I want to only change my batter heads.

Thank you,
Red

Deeper toms (Barkers are acryllic, no?) with 2 ply clear heads tuned low. You can't possible get the sound of all those bands you mentioned, since there are some really varying drum sounds in there.

Sounds like you are a candidate for Remo Pinstripes though, for sure.

I know that Barker used Remo Smooth White Emperors. I've used these before and there's a lot of attack and clarity with a decent amount of overtones. I'm not sure about the other drummers you listed though I would imagine that they all tend to use 2-ply heads of varying brands.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
cheers.

well for the best sound out of the drums, i tune them really low (1 360 turn of the tension rod)..but tuning is best left to experimentation considering i dont know what kind of kit you have, or how it would sound in your room...start out from 1 full turn and then just work your way up to how you like it

Pinstripes are what your looking for dude. They give a pretty fat tone. Hydrolics will definitley work for the punk rock thing, but be warned. THEY HAVE NO OVERTONES OR RESPONSE. For punk rock though, I'd go for Hydrolics. Since you listed a few different rock bands who have different drum sounds, I'd go for the pinstripes.

i don't like to get into comparing them. i assume travis is better, but it's dangerous territory.

his new band plus 44 only has one song to hear at the moment, and he only comes in at the end, but it pretty much sums up the average thing to expect from travis. speed and groove. any band would be proud of his talent i think.

Back