One & a Half Kits: Ludwig/Premier/GiantBeats

My 2 and a Half Kits: Ludwig, Premier, GiantBeats, etc.

Hey ever'body! Here's a few pics of my kits. First, my current Ludwig gigging kit, then a Premier FT/BD conversion "baby kit" that I actually gigged with for a year and a half and then the rest of that original Premier 7-Piece kit with the normal size kick and different cymbals.

Ludwig Birch Classic, Gold Sparkle:

10x12, 14x14, 16x16, 16x20, 6.5x14 Ludwig LM304 Brass

Paiste Giant Beat:

15" Hats, 18" Multi, 20" Multi, 24" Ride

622_DSC_0001_372-1.jpg

622_DSC_0013_378-2.jpg

622_DSC_0009_353.jpg

Next is a version of my "Holly Golightly Kit", this time with 15" Sound Edge 2002 Hats and the same Giant Beats starring in a bit of a "small drums/big cymbals" snuff film, apparently. Please excuse the hideous carpet.

1989 Premier Projector Series, Black. They're thin (3 or 4 ply) Birch with Beech re-rings:

9x10, 11x13, 16x18 (FT/BD converted), 6.5x13 Yamaha Musashi Oak

1024_DSC_0011.jpg

1024_DSC_0005.jpg

1024_DSC_0016.jpg

I also used to have the 12" tom stand mounted as the higher floor tom in a one up - two down setup. This kit is ultra-compact and insanely fun to play on. It punches way above its weight tone-wise and volume-wise. When mic'd up the kick drum is incredible. I got away with playing rock with this kit before I got the Luddies, which are much less of a hardware hassle when playing live. I'm pushing the flat-based Gibraltar hardware to it's limits with this setup.

I fold down two of the floor tom legs to act as BD spurs. I like to get a little more height off the floor with a stack of two foam rubber practice hockey pucks ("spucks") glued together. They work great!

1024_DSC_0014.jpg

Now here's the rest of this Premier kit in our practice space, living the life of a four piece kit with another cymbal setup, mostly B20 this time.

1989 Premier Projector Series, Black:

10x12, 16x16 (actually it's a 15x16), 16x22, 5x14 1976 Ludwig Supraphonic

15" early 60's Ludwig/Paiste Hats (nickel-silver alloy), 18" K. Zildjian Med. Thin Dark Crash, 21" Sabian HH Vintage Ride, 16" 80's block letter Sabian AA Thin Crash

1024_DSC_0116.jpg

>

Last edited:
hey! fellow lefty!
i love the luddies. almost exact same sizes i want in my next kit. (8x12 tom instead...)

how do you like the gibraltar flat base stands?
i have been wanting them for a long time now... sturdy? strong?

btw, join the group.

Southpaws Rule!

The Gib flat-based is well engineered stuff. It's definitely a strong enough single cymbal stand for any live rock gigging I've done. I'm asking a bit much when I use one of them to stand mount a 13" power tom and a cowbell too, though.

The toothless tilters and the way the feet are designed make them like super evolved early 60's hardware. They don't have to sit exactly flat on the floor, there can be some space, but they can sit completely flat, too.

-

Last edited:
cool cool... i want to get three straight stands and one snare stand (for my rack tom). i want to get an iron cobra lever glide hihat stand even through its not flat, but it is the only stand you have to play, so it doesnt count. and i like the snare stand i already have (pdp 900). i cannot wait to get some of these!

btw, what does your name mean?

Back