Demon Drive vs Eliminator

visionvsx

Ok thanks to some helpful tips on this forum im not going to purchase second hand double kick. I have had my feet on a pair of elimenators and demon drives and like them both. Im a bit hesitant on the demon drives and am leaning towards the tried and tested eliminators chain version. Before i put em layby any input apreciated.

Re: Demon drive vs Elimenator

Well the DD is pearl's flagship... but then Virgil Donati moved back to eliminators once the advertising hype was over, so you can't go wrong with either.

I have demon drives and compared with my old tama iron cobras, they're a bit faster as I have them setup in longboard format. On the downside I now realize that it's a bit harder to play intricate patterns with longboards, which is something I favour over the 'speed' thing.

The cool thing is I can just unscrew something on the base of the pedal and set it up as a normal/short board, and there aren't any compromises/flimsy feelings about this pedal. I really like direct drive pedals because the beater moves as the footboard does, so you always know where you are, and it also helps in getting the beater off the head and ready for the next strike too.

So I'd say if you want to play fast metal + blast beats and all that shit, get the demon drives because they can be setup as longboards but if you know you're not going to do that stuff then you'll save a bit of money and still have something good with the eliminators.

my opinion is to go with the eliminators. Demon drive is outclassed by other direct drive pedals, which is the main pull for it. If you want a direct drive pedal, go axis or trick, ive tried both and both are just as smooth (or smoother) than the demon and lighter and more responsive IN MY OPINION. The eliminator is a very good pedal, and can be adjusted to play just about any genre, and they can push higher tempos too (i had a pair for awhile and i could play 180 bpm on them no problem) Also, the eliminators are cheaper.

If you've tried 'em both and are leaning towards the Eliminators, then go with your gut.
When in doubt, your first thought is usually your best thought, I've found.

I honestly think the demon drives are junk. Go with the eliminators!

What's wrong with them?

What's wrong with them?

IMO they feel abit tooooo lite for my feet but it's just a personal preference, TBH I the only thing I like about them is the ability to convert from longboards to shorter ones :D

I have had my feet on a pair of elimenators and demon drives and like them both. Im a bit hesitant on the demon drives and am leaning towards the tried and tested eliminators chain version.

Your opinion/decision is the only one that matters. What someone else likes ... doesn't like ... hates ... that's all well and good for them. Pedals are a unique item, and as such, how they make you feel, is what's important.​
If you like the Eliminators over the Demon Drive, then buy the Eliminators. Simple.​

Your opinion/decision is the only one that matters. What someone else likes ... doesn't like ... hates ... that's all well and good for them. Pedals are a unique item, and as such, how they make you feel, is what's important.​
If you like the Eliminators over the Demon Drive, then buy the Eliminators. Simple.​

This is understood and i apreciate what you are saying. I gues im after a reson to spend the extra cash for the dd as i liked them both. The quality in the elimenators seem to be a little better granted im not an engineer. Im not and never will be a speed king and just after some opinions other than just personal preferance to sway me in a certain direction.

What's wrong with them?

Absolutely nothing.

The pedals themselves are just fine. They are highly adjustable, well made and at the end of the day, they do what they were designed to do.......i.e. the beater slaps the bass drum head when you put your foot on 'em.

The fact some people don't like the feel of them is more of an expression of their own preferences than it is an issue with the pedal. It certainly doesn't make the pedals junk.....it just means they're not suitable for that individual.

We all have our preferences and we're well entitled to them. But it doesn't make them absolutes. I don't care for the sound of a steel snare drum. Does that make all steel snares junk? Or does it just mean I don't like 'em?

Exactly. They are very good pedals or I wouldn't have bought them.

IMO they feel abit tooooo lite for my feet but it's just a personal preference, TBH I the only thing I like about them is the ability to convert from longboards to shorter ones :D

But the dd is heavier than the axis, one of the main reasons I chose it actually. It has weight to it and that's how a pedal should be IMO. The axis is the one that's too light.

And the zero latency shaft is awesome too, the left feels as direct as and equal to the right pedal. I think you should take another look at it.

Exactly. They are very good pedals or I wouldn't have bought them.

But the dd is heavier than the axis, one of the main reasons I chose it actually. It has weight to it and that's how a pedal should be IMO. The axis is the one that's too light.

And the zero latency shaft is awesome too, the left feels as direct as and equal to the right pedal. I think you should take another look at it.

I see, so DD>Axis? The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

What's wrong with them?

Most things I've read about them people hate the beaters that come on them. So your $650 into a pedal and you need different beaters.

Now the other issue from my experience is that when I played the demon drive the first 3/4 of the stroke was smooth, the other 1/4 of the hit I had to push harder to complete the stroke. I don't think the energy I had to put into playing it wasn't worth $650. There are much better pedals out there for a lot less money.

If you got $650 to blow on one of these go for it! I'd rather by a pedal without a cool name for less money and get two new cymbals if I were going to spend $650.

This is understood and i apreciate what you are saying. I gues im after a reson to spend the extra cash for the dd as i liked them both. The quality in the elimenators seem to be a little better granted im not an engineer.
And you don't need to be an engineer. It's not "my" job to tell you which pedal you should like. All I'm saying is buy the one you like best.​
When the Axis pedal first came out, sometime in the early 90's ... I loved the looks, but didn't care for the feel. 20 years later (or something like that) ... I still don't really like the feel. So, I don't own an Axis pedal. Now, I've played the Axis a boat load of times, and honestly, probably no one in the audience(s) ever figured I wasn't playing my own pedal (or drum kit, for that matter). And it's not that I'm that good. It's more a case that it's just not that big a deal. I can play the Iron Cobra, or an IC junior, or a Eliminator, or a DW5000, a Trick, an Axis, a Gibraltar Intruder, etc, etc, etc .....​
My choice, the single pedal I own (two of them), is the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive. That's the baby that got my money. And when I need a double pedal, I play a Sleishman.​
So your $650 into a pedal .....
Man, you need to learn how to shop. You can buy these pedals for under $500.​

I needed something to replace my soho twin pedal with bent base plate (not by design...)

I tried Iron cobras, demons and the eliminator. The demon really was something special, by looks and by design. But I found the price of 650 euros way too high. So I went for the highly customizable Eliminators.
Problem with highly customizable is that I am still fiddling with all settings to find my personal sweet spot :eek:)
But pure based on price difference, I'd say Eliminators!

Back