Replacement for EC2s

hailhail

After 2 years I'm finally fed up trying to get my toms to sound good with Evans clear EC2s on them, so I want to replace them, and I'm thinking about getting some coated heads. I've never been happy with my drums using clear heads, that's all i've ever used, partly because they last longer, and partly because I got used to them. So what about some coated G2s? G1s even, I hate the horrible, flat 'thud' the EC2s give.

Hmmm I use coated Ec2's and get a very open sound. Try emporers over ambassadors. It's one of my fav combos. Or powerstrokes over ambassadors.

Ha you should read my Catalina thread. I was convinced that I hated my EC2's so I got a single 12 G2 coated and put that on (today). It sounds great but in the process I decided to go back to my old way of tuning the resos a 4th above and my EC'2s really started to sing. Do you tune your resos higher, lower, or the same pitch? You might want to try it higher and see what happens. If you are sure that you don't wan the EC2's then I would try the Evans G2 coated with a genera reso. I just played on one for 3 hours and it is very responsive, very sharp sounding and still produces a nice note with subtle overtones. It's not as boomy as a clear but it is really sweet sounding especially on fat rolls with my double bass going. Just trying to help ya since I just went through this. Also if you want to try the single ply coated I have heard that they sound awesome as well, just more pronounced and sharper.

try evans coated G2's over clear G1's or G2's always a nice combo

Ha you should read my Catalina thread. I was convinced that I hated my EC2's so I got a single 12 G2 coated and put that on (today). It sounds great but in the process I decided to go back to my old way of tuning the resos a 4th above and my EC'2s really started to sing. Do you tune your resos higher, lower, or the same pitch? You might want to try it higher and see what happens. If you are sure that you don't wan the EC2's then I would try the Evans G2 coated with a genera reso. I just played on one for 3 hours and it is very responsive, very sharp sounding and still produces a nice note with subtle overtones. It's not as boomy as a clear but it is really sweet sounding especially on fat rolls with my double bass going. Just trying to help ya since I just went through this. Also if you want to try the single ply coated I have heard that they sound awesome as well, just more pronounced and sharper.

I generally have both heads at the same pitch, and I also have the terrible reso heads which came with the kit. I'll have another go with them, but I'll try some coated G2s anyway.

I generally have both heads at the same pitch, and I also have the terrible reso heads which came with the kit. I'll have another go with them, but I'll try some coated G2s anyway.

REPLACE the stock reso heads. There will be a dramatic difference. If your into Evans, get G1's for the bottoms.

I hate the horrible, flat 'thud' the EC2s give.

You must have a fairly strange way of tuning drums. My drums just sing with clear EC2s. Then again, I have a way of making pretty much any drum sing regardless of head choice. Tuning is something that you really need to learn.

you may definitly want to look at replacing the reso's - never been done? as for the G2's - i have the Coated G2's and love them, warm, open with a little more oomph than a single ply, very nice heads for any tom...

coated heads are easier to tune than clear heads. Coated have less overtones and its easier to hear the pitch at each lug. do not use a drumstick to tune a clear head.
Use your finger, timpani mallet, a bass drum beater will also work if you have nothing else.
This I find to be the biggest problem among newbies, they don't have the ear yet.
You really have to develop that in order to tune your drums perfectly.
Major trial an error but one day it will come.

You must have a fairly strange way of tuning drums. My drums just sing with clear EC2s. Then again, I have a way of making pretty much any drum sing regardless of head choice. Tuning is something that you really need to learn.

I don't really want them to 'sing'. I want a kind of thud sound. I worded that post badly, I want a nice low thud, but just now it's more of a 'flap' sound if you know what I mean.
Also bear in mind my kit isn't great, and I have a severe lack of patience.

If you lack patience then your sol.
Sorry to say but great tuning skills have a big learning curve. If your not prepared to do the work your sound will suffer. It does not matter how expensive your drum kit is.
Having said that there is more than one way to tune a drum down.
One way is to actually decrease each lugs tension. Another way which is my preferred method is to press in the center of the head (cpr) and fine tune from there.
So, I would recommend to tune just above where you want to be, and cpr the head until you reach the desired sound.

Short of really learning how to making any drum "sing"....

It seams that most drums really pick the heads they like. The head combo I put on my drum set, may not sound as good on another drum set with the same tuning employed. That said, almost all drums sound good with the Emperor/Ambassador combo.

I agree with what has already been said, in that it's time to swap out your reso heads. Pick the medium weight clear head of your choice. Evans G1, Remo Ambassador etc.. all will do a fine job.

If you found the EC2 to be dead sounding on your drums, you may want to try The EC1 instead. I found the EC1 to have a broader tuning range that the EC2 and a more lively playing surface. The EC1 is a 14 mil head as is the EC2 but it is a single ply version. Theoretically giving the playability of a single ply with the durability of a 2 ply. I also found it to open up a considerably better than the EC2 at the same tuning. I would also recommend going clear vs. coated with the EC series. The frosted coating that Evans puts on them is just teriible. It gives it a plasticy attack that becomes even more pronounced at higher tunings.

When at all possible, I would recommend going with the combo that is the most pleasently open your drums will allow. You can always add external dampening to taste, you can't add ring/resonance.

If you are unsure of what combo of heads to try. Pick the worst sounding drum on your kit and buy head combonations your interested in, for just that drum. Experiment till you find waht you like, then outfit the rest of your kit. That will keep your expeirementation costs down.

Just my .02 YMMV.....

Thanks for the help folks. I think I'll try coated G2s over clear G1s, and I'll take more time and care with tuning this time.

We're making some pretty fast progress on the design of a new and improved EC2...the concept will be attenuated damping...each size will have just the right amount of damping so that all sizes have a nicely blended sound (small drums won't choke, large drums will have a little more control). the new design also makes them even easier to tune.

Keep an eye out...they're just a few months away. We'll make a big deal about it...so you'll know when they're ready.

EvansPM

My ec2 ctds are pretty open alone. for some i made a genera/ps3 type style underlay to control the sound a little more to my liking and mine sound great.

We're making some pretty fast progress on the design of a new and improved EC2...the concept will be attenuated damping...each size will have just the right amount of damping so that all sizes have a nicely blended sound (small drums won't choke, large drums will have a little more control). the new design also makes them even easier to tune.

Keep an eye out...they're just a few months away. We'll make a big deal about it...so you'll know when they're ready.

EvansPM

This is exciting news. Many of us have messed around with single plys on rack toms and two ply heads on floor toms to get equal amounts of sustain from all the toms. Having a set of heads like mentioned above would save us a lot of time, expense, and experimentaion.

I'll be looking forward to the new heads.

This is exciting news. Many of us have messed around with single plys on rack toms and two ply heads on floor toms to get equal amounts of sustain from all the toms. Having a set of heads like mentioned above would save us a lot of time, expense, and experimentaion.

I'll be looking forward to the new heads.

That would be even nicer if I didn't already have EC2s on all my toms... ;) lol

Back