Gavin Harrison here!

Hello again Gavin,

I'd like to know if, when mixing, u use the technique of muting/cutting the parts of your drum tracks wherever they're not played (e.g. the parts of a tom track when the tom is not played).

Thx again,
Ste

Hi euphoric_anomaly

This is what I was inquiring about in reference to 19 Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY
from 2:28 to 3:11

OK now I've understood it - but they are not triplets - they are one 8th note (open hi hat) followed by two 16ths (closed).

Hi Toza

How would you describe (in your own words) a double-dotted note? How you look at that. and do you look dotted note as three smaller notes or 1.5

When a dot is added to a note it lengthens it by 50% - a double dot should lengthen the first dot by an additional 50%. So if you start with a quarter note and then add a dot it should equal 6/16ths and then if you add another dot it should equal 7/16s.

Hi steste50

I'd like to know if, when mixing, u use the technique of muting/cutting the parts of your drum tracks wherever they're not played (e.g. the parts of a tom track when the tom is not played).

Generally I don't cut the toms. Some people cut the lower toms when they're not being played to get rid of any ringing that's going on.

Cheers
Gavin

hello Mr. Harrison,

You mention Phil GouId and Steve Jansen on the rhythmic designs DVD and I was wondering what other drummers you might recommend for studying really neat 4/4 grooves? I really dig all the off-time/poly-rhythm stuff but I don't want to get ahead of myself as a drummer if that makes any sense.

On that note, I really like how you approach poly-rhythms and overrides in your playing/songwriting.. always so tasteful! Can you name a couple drummers you listened to growing up to help you develop your ear and playing in those regards? (Forgive me if this kind of question has already been asked in this thread and I missed it).

Last edited:
Gavin,

When you were touring with King Crimson, which song (new or old) did you find to be the biggest challenge, as far as timing, tempo shifts, rests etc? Before you joined KC would you consider them a big influence in your playing style?

Thanks for your time, and explaining the 19 Days part.

Eric

Gavin,
I would like to ask a technique question. Do you leave the beater off of the head when you strike the bass drum? Also, I know you play heel up, but do you ever drop your entire foot to where the heel lands with the foot? It seems to help me keep my balance but usual responses from most drummers are either heel up or heel down.

Thanks,
Stuart

Hi Jeff_F

You mention Phil GouId and Steve Jansen on the rhythmic designs DVD and I was wondering what other drummers you might recommend for studying really neat 4/4 grooves?

That's a hard question because I hear interesting things in so many players. Steve Jansen always did something that caught my ear.

On that note, I really like how you approach poly-rhythms and overrides in your playing/songwriting.. always so tasteful! Can you name a couple drummers you listened to growing up to help you develop your ear and playing in those regards?

Of course Vinnie Colaiuta is a real master at these kinds of things.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

When you were touring with King Crimson, which song (new or old) did you find to be the biggest challenge, as far as timing, tempo shifts, rests etc? Before you joined KC would you consider them a big influence in your playing style?

"Construction Of Light" and "Level 5" were the two hardest songs to play. I hadn't listened that much to KC before joining them. I think I had "Discipline" and "Three Of A Perfect Pair" on vinyl.

Hi drumstu

I would like to ask a technique question. Do you leave the beater off of the head when you strike the bass drum? Also, I know you play heel up, but do you ever drop your entire foot to where the heel lands with the foot?

I tend to leave the beater off the head - and my heal never touches the ground.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin. i started to work on "Rhythmic Visions"
I picked this first pattern that you have showed, and move beat for one 8 note right, then 2 note, then 3 and then 4. And I did same to the left. Is this good way to start with this:)

Gavin,

in one of the earlier posts, you provided us with your favourite click sounds which I use very often now. When finding out about a very cool iPodTouch/iPhone application called "Tempo" (which really got me to stop using my old Tama Rhythm Watch), I had the idea to suggest to the developer to offer the chance to use your particular click sounds in one of the next updates as an alternative soundset.

Is that something you would have a problem with? This is no freeware of course - so it´s not exactly non-commercial use - but on the other side, it´s an extremely cheap and convenient metronome for people that do already own an iPodTouch or iPhone.

Regards,
Christian

ChrisGau,

If you are referring to the Frozen Ape app I also use that as my metronome. Good idea about the sounds.. I'd even pay for a 'Gavin Harrison sounds upgrade'. My good friend and one of my favorite drummers Rob Stankiewicz has an Iphone mount that he attached to his hit hat stand. Works really well.

Mr. Harrison,

I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show in Dallas Tuesday night. One of the best I've ever seen. Normal was one of the big highlights for me and I'm still hoarse from screaming. I hope you guys enjoyed the show on stage as much as we did in the audience. It was a real honor and treat to get my limited vinyl signed as well. Very kind of you. You guys are the best!

Hey Gavin,

I mentioned earlier that I'll be at your Chicago show next Friday at the Riviera. This may seem a little off topic, but what time should i get there?

Hi jungle

i started to work on "Rhythmic Visions"
I picked this first pattern that you have showed, and move beat for one 8 note right, then 2 note, then 3 and then 4. And I did same to the left. Is this good way to start with this:)

Sure - that's a good way to start. Have seen the Rhythmic Illusions book?

Hi ChrisGau

I had the idea to suggest to the developer to offer the chance to use your particular click sounds in one of the next updates as an alternative soundset.
Is that something you would have a problem with?

That's fine with me.

Hi pixelbreaker

I mentioned earlier that I'll be at your Chicago show next Friday at the Riviera. This may seem a little off topic, but what time should i get there?

Support band "Big Elf" are on at 7:30 then PT are on stage 8:40

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I just received my copy of "Rhythmic Designs" in the mail today. Very sweet!! I already watched it once through and it's made me want to go back and watch "Rhythmic Horizons" again.

As I stated in an earlier post, I will be catching Porcupine Tree in Quebec City on May 6. Is there an opening act for that gig? Also, my girlfriend's favourite tune is "Lazarus". If you just "happened" to throw that in the setlist, by chance, I would be infinitely grateful. ;)

Thanks again for all of your inspiration!!!

Kevin

Hi Gavin,

This question may have been asked before, not sure, but I'll ask it in a different way.

In post production I've been told that isolation is crucial to an overall clear and precise drum sound in the mix. Especially for toms. For example: using a noise gate for the toms, and/or cut out any non-played portions of the individually recorded tom tracks and leave in only the ones played. Basically trying to lessen the amount of overtones or ringing that could invade the drum mix.

So in your recording experience (and in post production) do you gate or cut out the unwanted (or unplayed) portions of your tom tracks? Or the kick for that matter (as you do use three mics)? If yes or no, then what are the pros and cons? I'm sure it does depend on the kind of music your playing, but how do you address this?

Thanks!

p.s.: See you & PT in Chicago on 4/30! I hope this leg of the tour is going well.

Hey JeffV71

I'm not Gavin but I know he has answered a similar question here (though I cant seem to find the specific post). Mr. Harrison mentioned that he does NOT cut out dead space in the tom tracks. I don't know about his approach to noise gates. I want to say it was somewhere around page 90 if ya wanna dig a little more.

Also, my girlfriend's favourite tune is "Lazarus". If you just "happened" to throw that in the setlist, by chance, I would be infinitely grateful. ;)

You may get lucky; Lazarus seems to be one of Steve's favorites as well and was played in Dallas at the gig I saw. For anyone interested here's the full setlist:

The Incident
[intermission]
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Russia On Ice Phase I
Anesthetize Phase II
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
[encore:]
The Sound Of Muzak
Trains

Thanks for the great show Gavin! It was my second PT show & I'll do everything I can to see you guys next time you come around as well.

Hi there Gavin,

Just passing by to say hi! and I can't wait for next week show in Quebec! Ive seen you in Montreal, last year during the Incident Tour, it was really great! I was just wondering, how is it to play in Quebec City? I mean, is it different from the rest of Canada or USA? I heard we have a reputation for being a good prog audience hahaha!! is this true?

You may get lucky; Lazarus seems to be one of Steve's favorites as well and was played in Dallas at the gig I saw. For anyone interested here's the full setlist:

The Incident
[intermission]
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Russia On Ice Phase I
Anesthetize Phase II
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
[encore:]
The Sound Of Muzak
Trains

Thanks for the great show Gavin! It was my second PT show & I'll do everything I can to see you guys next time you come around as well.

I believe that was the setlist they played in Orlando at the House of Blues last Friday as well... I thought it was a great show, I honestly have never been more impressed by live drumming before in any capacity.

And now that I'm back home in good ol' New York I might be catching them again in Buffalo once May 4th rolls around... Will definitely be worth it, and I'll have to bring the lady friend along with me this time. :)

I think I may as well ask a question while I'm here that may not really be all that great because of how many ways you could go about answering it... but here it goes.

I suppose the question has probably already been asked too, maybe not in quite the same way, but when it comes to improvising songs live... I've noticed that although you mostly improvise/add a few fills here and there, never once did I feel the groove of the song even slightly falter... even during rather intense polyrhythmic parts or through odd time signatures. I'm just curious as to what your thought process is on performing these kinds of things and what might be "too much" in your mind, or how exactly your concepts of overriding make it into your fills as well.

My perception of drummers has changed considerably in this past year especially when it comes to being within the context of a band and feel... and your playing seems to epitomize that in a lot of ways. I wish I had the insight (and experience) to even gain a fraction of it... Thanks in advance.

Hey Gavin,

Do you guys still play Futile live? It's one of my favs, and I was just wondering if it was less popular?- too hard to get clean? (highly doubt it)....

Thanks
-Branndon

Hi Gavin!

So, just have seen your Rhythmic Horizons/Illusions.. absolutely wondered by "19 days", especially of marimba part

So got a Question for You:

how do you tune your rack toms, to get so clear tone? (in video where you talking about how to play 19days)
(if "that we hear" it is not only good sound processing line or mic)
do you use a tension watch or some like that?
What notes/tone do you set on batter and resonant side?
i'm trying to tune my toms in direct note, but i've found that is not so simple method.

Could you please explain how to get so clear and consistent sound of racktoms?

Lot of Thanks
Paul

Back