Dave Grohl

I was reading Drum Magazine this afternoon, and they were doing profiles of "Great New Blood" in drumming. The drummer from Chimaira said the thing he wanted most for Christmas was to meet Dave Grohl, because he was an "unbelievable drummer".
Also, Mike Portnoy compared him to John Bonham, stylisticly. That might not be a word, but you see where I'm going with this...
He is a pro's pro, and one of the hardest workers in Rock and Roll today.

man. i've learned alot about Dave Grohl on this page. -_-

chill out guys, yall dont know how ridiculous both of you look, its just a discussion forum, its not a big deal.

So back to my topic, anyone a fan of Tenacious D and Dave's drumming on their album?

yeah i heard a few songs, though i don't have the album. i knew that he had been in a video, but as soon as i heard some songs i knew it was him drumming too. i think him and taylor hawkins have very cool sounding drums.

Dave is definately one of my all time favorites, and definately underrated. Seems to be a really cool guy that has fun with everything he does.

Jaymasta said:
I need good concert footage of Dave on Drums it could be any band But I've seen a lot of nirvana footage already. so if anyone knows a site with concert footage of dave on the drums Tell Me!

Check out the DVD that comes with "Songs for the Deaf".
"No One Knows" is unbelievable. So good, I even ripped to my PSP.

Suds

Last edited:
theres a dvd that comes with that album? i did not know that. i'm gonna hafta get myself a copy of that. does anyone know dave's set up? he seems to use really big toms, and in pictures the drum kit looks very big, despite being a four peice.

Colin said:
He was one of my first inspirations when I started drumming. He's got a good style, and it was perfect for Nirvana. He's very humble, not egotistical at all. He's a great drummer and guitarist.

Couldn't agree more, certainly my most influental drummer and guitarist

DrumNut said:
I heard great things about him.

What album would you recommend for his best drumming?
I would say some of the songs on "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" are great examples of his rock solid but tasteful drumming (scentless apprentice, spank thru). Dave Grohl rocks!

u should listen to SCREAM as well (band he was in before nirvana) he joined when he was 17ish.

Best Best best Grohl stuff to listen to has to be In Utero Album like "Scentless Apprentice" he practically come up with the beat and kurt an krist worked around it
and radio unit shifter and milk it...the in utero album had a more raw darker side.

All in all i think he's one of my favourite drummers along with castello.

I think Grohl is a pretty good guitarist. I like his rythms. But as for Nirvana and my earlier comment, i should say he is the only thing i liked about Nirvana. Cobain had some pretty good skills on the guitar, but, i don't think his musical ability was anywhere near Grohl or the bassist. But i was listening to songs for the dead, the actual song and grohls drumming on that is awesome. i love the intro he had going on.

I too am a big fan of Dave Grohl’s drumming. I think he is a fantastic example of how important a role a drummer can play in a band. His work on the Foo Fighters first LP and Songs for the Deaf is nothing short of brilliant.

Unfortunately, I think that every album from The Colour and the Shape gets progressively worse....but their popularity gets bigger and bigger.......so go figure!

Personally, I think Dave Grohl should stop being a mediocre song writer/guitarist and go back to being an exceptional drummer.

Good point Fardunda. Dave Grohl is a drummer first and foremost.

I love the Foo Fighters' self-titled album (with the raygun), and their second release, Colour and the Shape. Also, There Is Nothing Left To Lose isn't far behind. But after that everything just started going downhill, in my opinion. I did get a chance to see the band live in 2003, and the show was pretty good (loud for sure). Grohl is nothing special on guitar though. Not even close. He should go back to drums.

Quite honestly, I wish he would've just stayed in Queens of the Stone Age. But then again, they have Joey Castillo now, and he sounds great. Dare I say perhaps better than Dave.

he not the greatest drummer in the world but he is good with nirvana,and he is even better in foo fighters now.personly i think he plays guiter better than drums

Fardunda said:
Unfortunately, I think that every album from The Colour and the Shape gets progressively worse....but their popularity gets bigger and bigger.......so go figure!

Personally, I think Dave Grohl should stop being a mediocre song writer/guitarist and go back to being an exceptional drummer.

LOL i actually think that every album they've done has been amazing, i can't pick a favourite!

i do really like grohl's drumming on the colour and the shape, not heard much of his drumming for nirvana except the legendary "smells like teen spirit"

averypoordrummer said:
LOL i actually think that every album they've done has been amazing, i can't pick a favourite!

i do really like grohl's drumming on the colour and the shape, not heard much of his drumming for nirvana except the legendary "smells like teen spirit"
yeah, for a while i could only properly get into their earlier stuff. then one day listening to "halo" off one by one, i thought " actually, this is excellent". i think i just didn't get it beforehand.

alexwaterson66 said:
he not the greatest drummer in the world but he is good with nirvana,and he is even better in foo fighters now.personly i think he plays guiter better than drums

Hi, i realy like the way he plays guitar, but he is not better with the guitar. Dave is a Drummer and also plays guitar.

Is just my opinion.

Hi, I introduce my self, Im Fernando from argentina i play drums in a rock band, here is the site, www.rapelrock.com.ar

Cheers.
e0f-

regardless of personal opinions of his work, the man is a phenomenal all around musician, he plays, sings, and records all very, very well and has a great time while doing it. personally i love his music, but more than that i got mad respect for a guy who keeps his carrer going after being in one of the most influental bands of all time. Even if you dont like nirvana, they along with a few other 90's bands paved the way for the sound of rock today just like bands like the Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, and many others have done in the past. just my view -TC

A lot of people wrote Dave off after Kurt Cobain killed himself. Who would of thought that he would emerge to have such a great career. I thought the Nirvana stuff was good but his Foo Fighters (both drumming and writing) as well as the Queens work is just spectacular.

Back