Karen Carpenter

I think I saw that documentary. If I remember correctly, Richard Carpenter said that Karen considered herself a drummer first and a singer second.

Yes!

That is absolutely true, Ruok. You are correct.

Karen Carpenter always considered herself a "drummer who could sing". Not a singer who could play drums. ;-)

What a genius she was...at BOTH! ;-)

Play On! :)

Last edited:
Interesting ... the ratio of DW members who have viewed this thread and thereafter felt compelled to make a post.

As I type now, there has been 108 views, and 61 reply posts. What an amazing ratio. Great proof of the number of people who have been touched by, or otherwise impressed with Karen's abilities and her musical accomplishments. Joey

Karen Carpenter, dominating woman drummer.

Better yet, "girl Buddy Rich. Why have I not heard of this phenomenal drummer? The only reason I know of her is because youtube recommended me a video of her. She certainly knows how to tear up a Supra, and clearly has lots of Buddy influence.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJPg&feature=rec-fresh

She has such great technique, anyone have any information on her?

Re: Karen Carpenter, dominating woman drummer.

Karen loved playing the drums even more than singing. When The Carpenters became really mainstream, they wanted her to come out from the kit, drummer turned Front person. she didn't want to leave her beloved drums behind. She wanted to be behind the drums. But, of course, the need for the spotlight won out and she did. I should add that part of the problem of coming out from the set was also because she had body image issues, that caused her anorexia and ultimately her death.

Great video BTW

Last edited:

Karen started-out as a non-singing drummer.

From Wikipedia:

In late 1965, Wes Jacobs, Richard Carpenter and sister Karen formed the Richard Carpenter Trio, an instrumental jazz group. The trio won the Hollywood Bowl Battle of the Bands on June 24, 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carpenters

Despite Karen being a fantastic drummer, the legendary Hal Blaine played drums on some of the Carpenters' records, including one of the Carpenter's biggest hits, "Close to You" - (06/27/70).

Karen loved playing the drums even more than singing. When The Carpenters became really mainstream, they wanted her to come out from the kit, drummer turned Front person. she didn't want to leave her beloved drums behind. She wanted to be behind the drums. But, of course, the need for the spotlight won out and she did. I should add that part of the problem of coming out from the set was also because she had body image issues, that caused her anorexia and ultimately her death.

Great video BTW

This is a great history lesson. I only know a few things about Karen Carpenter, but when I hear someone say this I think maybe had Karen simply been allowed to be a drummer as she wanted she'd possibly be alive today? Very sad to think about it that way, but it's what I thought of when I read your quote.

I know its not really meant for this thread but im digging what karens doing at/around 8:57 in this link, sorry for being stupid but what is she doing, if anyone can be bothered to write out what shes doing or does anyone know of a video that i can watch to learn what shes doing in and around 8:57, many thanks, i love this video, a legend, for more reasons than one x

That lick is a quad. Three with the hand followed by the bass drum: LRLF or RLRF

Practic like this (left hand lead): L on small tom, R on large tom, then L again on small tom followed by F (bass drum).

Start off playing this slowly and play the frst L on the quarter note:

LRLF LRLF LRLF LRLF

You can also play this without the bass drum LRLR or RLRL. Practice both
Start off slow and practice getting this up to speed as fast as you want. You'll get alot of mileage out of this lick. Incorporate the snare into the lick as well as the hi hat. The sky is the limit with this. Hav fun!

Well, sorry to bump this thread, but all of the disbelievers out there astound me!

Karen was truly a great drummer, not a run of the mill good drummer as some in this thread have implied or outright SAID!

Remember the body of work she did was cut short by her vocal fame and if given an entire career of drumming instead of only what she was given I'm confident she would be FAR more known for her drumming prowess that she is right now.

Also. keep in mind, what "chops" she did or didn't have weren't the main showcase of The Carpenters, it was about the SONGS, not the drums. Fortunately though, she was given a fair amount of time to bring her drumming to the forefront a bit with her multi part solo that was incorporated into the show.

It's too bad there wasn't enough time for the drumming Karen to get in with other musicians and stretch out her musical career into things The Carpenters would have never played. I could have seen her digging into a big band sound or maybe a jazz combo, but it wasn't to be, too bad as I'm sure it would have quelled many of the disbelievers.

Here's a clip I just found the other day.
The Carpenters on Johnny Carson Performing "Mr. Guder" back in 1973
It was a bit of a musical departure from the usual Carpenters thing, there was a bit of time changing going on, and some really cool drumming by Karen, and all while singing FLAWLESSLY!! I would say a lot of you would have problems with JUST playing the song with the finesse she had, let alone while singing it too!! But MAN did her kit sound terrible, 1970's muffled to the hilt!!

Karen deserved much more recognition for her drumming than I fear she will ever get, that's just too sad.

there are things over on youtube as well that show off her skills as an accomplished drummer...I do not know how anyone can say she was not great at what she did!

the onloy offensive thing is the billions of coments about how this should go in the 'ladies' section

this is stupid
don't segregate

the only offensive thing is the billions of comments about how this should go in the 'ladies' section

this is stupid
don't segregate
I don't think that it's offensive at all, I take offense at your trying to make this a bad thing, that's NOT how it was meant!!

Karen was very proud to be a woman drummer, and I wouldn't suggest that you segregate her there, of COURSE she should be part of the general drumming discussion TOO!! But she certainly should be part of the woman's section (more than likely the very pinnacle of it) and not segregated to just the "regular" drummers areas either. Yeah, her femininity is/was special, but in a good way, her success and drumming prowess break down the stereotype that drumming is singularly a man's profession/pastime.

Differences are a GOOD thing!
I say learn to FLAUNT it rather than be EXPLOITED by it!!!!

I looked at the Drummerworld.com website and even completed a search which only turned up links from the Web. Now then, why isn't Karen Carpenter a featured drummer? As I recall reading that the great Buddy Rich himself stated that Karen was his favorite drummer. I find this lack of Karen on the website a disgrace to her amazing drumming skills, not to mention the fact she was able to still sing and drum without missing a beat.

Re: Question!

I think this particular question has been asked before, but in general:

When drummers aren't featured with their own page it's because Bernhard hasn't gotten around to it, or he hasn't heard about them.

Karen Carpenter happens be on the Wishlist (place where you suggest drummers for Bernhard to make pages for), so I'd suggest it's only a matter of time until she gets a page.

http://www.drummerworld.com/wishlist/C.html

I could be completely wrong too.

Just stumbled on this. For me, Karen Carpenter was freakishly talented. As great as her drumming was (and it WAS), her incredible voice was legendary. Listen to the depth of her "basement," as she called it, on Superstar and This Masquerade. She had the voice of a 40 year old in her teens and early 20s!!

It simply staggers the imagination what could have been. Imagine for a moment watching a 40-something drummer at an elite jazz club playing the skins like Max Roach, then coming up front and sing like Billie Holiday. Imagine how deep that basement would have been 20 years later...

If handled right, she could very well have been the greatest jazz singer in the last 50 years AND a damned fine drummer. Remember, jazz WAS their roots.

She is surely missed. Did I hear 6 stoke rolls in the jam section?

Well, sorry to bump this thread, but all of the disbelievers out there astound me!

Karen was truly a great drummer, not a run of the mill good drummer as some in this thread have implied or outright SAID!

Remember the body of work she did was cut short by her vocal fame and if given an entire career of drumming instead of only what she was given I'm confident she would be FAR more known for her drumming prowess that she is right now.

Also. keep in mind, what "chops" she did or didn't have weren't the main showcase of The Carpenters, it was about the SONGS, not the drums. Fortunately though, she was given a fair amount of time to bring her drumming to the forefront a bit with her multi part solo that was incorporated into the show.

It's too bad there wasn't enough time for the drumming Karen to get in with other musicians and stretch out her musical career into things The Carpenters would have never played. I could have seen her digging into a big band sound or maybe a jazz combo, but it wasn't to be, too bad as I'm sure it would have quelled many of the disbelievers.

Here's a clip I just found the other day.
The Carpenters on Johnny Carson Performing "Mr. Guder" back in 1973
It was a bit of a musical departure from the usual Carpenters thing, there was a bit of time changing going on, and some really cool drumming by Karen, and all while singing FLAWLESSLY!! I would say a lot of you would have problems with JUST playing the song with the finesse she had, let alone while singing it too!! But MAN did her kit sound terrible, 1970's muffled to the hilt!!

Karen deserved much more recognition for her drumming than I fear she will ever get, that's just too sad.

Enjoyed the utube link to the Tonight Show performance. Thanks for posting.

This quote says it ALL!

"Karen Carpenter was a more accomplished player than most people realized. No less a figure than Buddy Rich considered her to be a superior player. "I remember one time when Karen and I went to see Buddy's band," says Cubby O'Brien. "I knew Buddy fairly well, so before the show I took her backstage to meet him. I said, 'Buddy, this is Karen Carpenter.' He said, 'Karen Carpenter, do you know that you're one of my favorite drummers?' As tough as Buddy could be on drummers sometimes, he always respected someone who played the instrument well."

How many drummers can boast of receiving an accolade from Buddy? And knowing Buddy, he wasn't just "being nice to the girl."

As great a drummer as Karen was, she was a legendary singer, with a deep, rich bottom that belonged on a 40-year old singer with a three pack a day habit.

One can only imagine how her career would have transpired. Who knows, she could have led a big band, playing like Buddy, then getting out from behind the drums and sing like Billie. Don't believe me? Check out THIS link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGBqek7JBE

A duet of This Masquerade with the immortal Ella Fitzgerald. I would KILL to have this in its entirety...

Back