Phil Collins

Rediscovering Phil Collins

With Genesis about to go back on the road again I'm getting back into them. I'm rediscovering the magic of Phil Collins' drumming all over again. Just listen to the one-two punch of "Behind The Lines" going right into "Duchess" on the Duke album. It really captures the energy and vibe of what he's putting into it. It also helps that they're great songs.

I'm not a fan of solo work or even singing to be frank and I didn't like it when Genesis became a pop machine. Call me a purist or snob but I still salute his brilliance as a drummer.

Would you say his gigantic fame has made his drumming legacy somewhat underrated?

Can any drummer out please clue me in to how Collins pulls off "Apocalypse in 9/8" in Genesis' Supper's Ready? I have tried memorizing it but realized after hearing multiple boots that he doesn't even follow what he recorded! The feel of the 9/8 is not even fluid.

Any pointers?

9/8 is indeed a tricky one. I made an mp3 just now of me playing it but its not good quality, I can still post it if you like. It also depends on what version you are listening to. If its 72-74 its going to be simpler because (as you know already) its only Phil by himself. From then on it got more intricate. If you want I can send you a clip of phil and chseter playing it in 86, it definitely doesn't sound smooth and flowing then (in a good way), Phil is throwing in all kinds of tom rolls and hi-hat accents over chester, Chester himself even goes off into the stratosphere on some of it.

Phil has always placed his fills in "odd" places, he might start a fill on the 5th beat and not finish it until the 3rd beat of the next measure, especially on 9/8. I'de suggest learning with he version on Foxtrot first and THEN when you're comfortable with that start adding the embellishments.

Anyone heard the "Frida- somethings going on" album? Phil on drums throughout, with his trademark sound and playing the best stuff ive heard from him. Very good drumming, v good album. If you like his drumming and sound, I highly reccomend it

What did he play on Selling England? Those drums (and cymbals by the way) sound super.

Not to mention the drumming itself. I just listened to Firth of Fifth again and he does an excellent job. Underrated like crazy.

EDIT: Sorry, nevermind. Just read the rest of the thread and got my answer.

I went to see Genesis at Old Trafford in Manchester on saturday night, really good. There were two kits, on some instrumental bits he went on the drums and played. Near the end he did a little solo which was cool.

Stage and lighting was immense!

I went to see Genesis at Old Trafford in Manchester on saturday night, really good. There were two kits, on some instrumental bits he went on the drums and played. Near the end he did a little solo which was cool.

Stage and lighting was immense!

I was there aswell!....what a great show.

He is the reason I started playing in the first place and Genesis have to be my favourite band of all time.............simply brilliant!

Wow... Phil Collins is one of my fav drummers of all time. I haven't listened to Genesis very much, but i love his album "Hello! I Must Be Going!"... It's brilliant!

Phil Collins...yes...for me, the best drummer ever ! I know many will say: well you can't say one drummer is the best ever...true in a way, but in my humble opinion, and I can only speak from my own experience...Phil is truly on another level altogether.

For me, Phil has managed to find the perfect balance between technique and feel.
Many drummers may be technique beasts, but feel sterile and cold. Others have plenty of emotions, but lack in technique.

Phil can also play any style, and make it sound awesome! From the sound of His drums, to the emotions and fire He puts in his playing...even a simple 4/4. Matchless!

I have seen Phil solo, Big Band and Genesis altogether about 60 times, all over the world, from 87 and I have never been dissapointed!

On top of it all, I had the great fortune to meet Him quite a few times and He is a total gentleman. Kind, friendly and humble...incredible!

He is the one to whom I owe the discovery of my drumming abilities, and is my life inspiration.

I just got a replica of his classic Gretsch kit and it sounds and feel amazing. If you want to see me play on it for the first time, go to the links below. I did not even change the heads yet to remos, or removed the front BD head...could not wait! lol

I am playing right handed at the mo, but training myself to be able to play both left and right handed, so that I can play left handed (more faithful to the original ;)) in my next Genesis tribute band, currently forming in Maryland.

If you want to know more about what I do, go to www.myspace.com/phildas

Below are the youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivF2BrNjlEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmnFCPzI8g

Cheers !

Phildas

Phil Collins is amazing. Really. Vastly superior to vaunted prog contemporary Carl Palmer. I even prefer his work to Bruford's. Selling England is a masterpiece of drums (and of music in general).

Speaking of Selling England, does anyone know how to count the intro the Firth of Fifth?

Get "Sussudio" from The Phil Collins Big Band's only album "A Hot Night in Paris".
Simply amazing.

Wow! I'm very new to the forum, but it's great to see Phil getting love and recognition as a drummer and musician... and not just a celeb! He is the reason I started playing drums. My Dad bought the video of Genesis on the Invisible Touch Tour in the late 80's. I wasn't into the band at all before I saw the video. But, when I was Phil and Chester going for it on the Drum Duet I was made! I said right there.. Dad I want to play drums that was incredible!! Genesis and Phil have been two of my favourites since! All hail Phil... ( and let's not forget Chester!!)

Big T.

My personal take on Phil Collins is that I loved his work on all the old Genesis albums with Peter Gabriel. (Although, once Gabriel left, I didn't think Genesis was very interesting.) I always thought he was a great drummer.

But... I just totally can NOT stand him as a pop singer and front man!!!!!!!!! Or as a writer... all that Tarzan and Lion King soundtrack stuff? Yechhh!!!

Anybody else likes his drumming on Dodo/Lurker from Abacab ? Power and finesse, intelligent fills, fat backbeat… Much heavier feel than his early Genesis intricate work, yet equally efficient

Dodo is a fantastic song.......agreed on the huge fat backbeat....pushes the song along nicely.

Happy 57th birthday Phil! Your deep pocket and unique playing are still undeniable after all your years of playing.

Nothing like bringing back an old thread!

I love Phil and he was my inspiration during the 80's when I discovered the early albums of Genesis and Brand X. People always want to give him crap for the "pop" stuff but geez, give him a break. Times change, people change, fads change. You can't deny his history or his chops. Too many people only know him from the ballads.

This is crappy quality but it is my favorite Brand X tune from Phil's time with the band:

"And so to F...."

Get the cd "Live over Europe," I always get shivers down on the neck near the end of Dukes Travels (track5 CD1).

I was actually there at the concert too!!

Back