Incredible Snare Sound

That sounds normal for a 13'" (12"?) snare that's tuned pretty high, should be easy to replicate.

Bermuda

It is a bit polite for me.
I want to take people's heads off at 100 yards. :)

I use a 13"x7" Ludwig Black Magic a lot of the time and it is indeed very easy to tune it up like that, but unfortunately when recording in the studio it's not a good sound to use in most cases.

Live is a different story, it's definitely useable in a live setting for a lot more styles of music

That sounds normal for a 13'" (12"?) snare that's tuned pretty high, should be easy to replicate.

Bermuda

Oh yeah, I should add that I've got my snare cranked up really high but the heads are a couple months old from Christmas but I'll definitely see what I can do on a few months old Powerstroke 3

Well, not that tight and plus, it's COB snare which I unfortunately don't have so I'm stuck with what I have.....

It is crazy tight but for some reason I actually really like it. Ash gets great sounds from his drums. Anytime someone discusses a very tight snare sound I always think of that snare. Ash also uses Remo Vintage A's on almost all his snares. I think that's what he was using in that video. Might be worth experimenting with one of those heads.

It is crazy tight but for some reason I actually really like it. Ash gets great sounds from his drums. Anytime someone discusses a very tight snare sound I always think of that snare. Ash also uses Remo Vintage A's on almost all his snares. I think that's what he was using in that video. Might be worth experimenting with one of those heads.

I've never used Vintage A's but now that you've recommended them to me, I should try one out.

Interesting. When I listened on the computer speakers it didn't sound all that tight. I think it was because of the reverb. With headphones it's clearly cranked.

I follow Ash Soan's Instagram. Great drummer.

Update: So far, I have my resonant head tuned 4 full turns and my top head at about 2 full turns. It's relatively ringy but I'd like to know if I should keep going on the heads or is that a good stopping point.

Don't do this:

Buy a kevlar head and crank it so tight that the shell collapses in on itself.

Years ago I did that to an XPK snare (so no great loss) and it pulled some of the lugs away from the shell as I battered it with huge clubs over the course of 6 weeks.

I used to have a mapex black panther 13 x 7 cranked up properly and it was like a gunshot. It was kinda standard tight and then up by at least another half turn

Back