My Daughter's Band is Playing L.A.'s Roxy This Week

HipshotPercussion

My youngest daughter has learned an important life lesson: It's far more fun to be the talent than the venue. About 6 months ago, the club she ran in Seattle closed its doors and she started her own Seattle area indie rock band called Yevtushenko.

Amber and her bandmates play only originals, no covers, and have been working harder than I've ever seen anyone work at anything, gigging up and down the coast and getting their shit down.

One of the results of all this effort is that Yevtushenko is playing the main room at the Roxy this Saturday night, July 6th.

If you know the L.A. rock scene you know that this is a Big Deal. So I'm sharing my pride with y'all and hoping as many of you as possible can make it. (The Roxy's big on reservations, but there may still be some space. Number to call is 310-278-9457.)

My wife and I can't be there. We're stuck in our humdrum Pacific Northwest lives. But you'll recognize Amber cuz she's the front woman. And I'm really hoping for a report on the drummer!

Hopefully she didn't have to sell tickets!

Still, of all the stages I've played, the Roxy is one my favorites, for the simple reason is the drum riser is made out of plexglass (or similar material) so it's perfectly flat! Unlike so many other venues where the drum riser is sagging, or just isn't flat. And unlike the Whiskey, the Roxy's sound system works more often than not.

Good luck to her!

How fantastic is that! Good for her, and her bandmates. I hope this is the start of many successes for them :)

Hopefully she didn't have to sell tickets!
The Roxy's policies aren't all that different from most other clubs, which, considering its rep, took me by surprise.

The band doesn't have to sell tickets per se, but Roxy is, oh, let's say "counting on" them having a certain draw. Although this is Yevtushenko's first time in the main room, they've played there once before. So I'm assuming that the band has earned the club's confidence.

(Of course, my assumptions about all aspects of showbiz have been shaken, re-shaken, and then stirred for good measure throughout the last half century. Hoping Amber doesn't have to take that same road.)

Thanks!

Amber and Yevtushenko are back from California, and their Roxy appearance went well. Saturday night, full house, all that good stuff.

The only problem was that they had to use the house DW drumkit. Which shouldn't have been a bad thing, except that the only way to use the floor tom was for the drummer to hold it up with his leg. Maybe it's not DW hardware?

Thanks to those who cared about this. Bigger thanks - because I'm a very selfish guy - to those who went to see them! (You know who you are.)

Thrilled that it went well - I bet you are chuffed to bits!

Hey, I'm glad to hear the show went well! That's strange to have a house kit with a broken floor tom leg, but stuff happens. I'm further north than you, and broke to boot, so I obviously didn't go, but I sure like hearing about these things!

Oh, I'm definitely chuffed. Glad she's having such a great time and that she picked such a great field of endeavor to have it in.

When I look back to my own youth and remember what it felt like to be starting out - and getting somewhere - all I can do is grin. God, how I loved the struggle! Amber's living what she'll always regard as some of the best days of her life.

If I didn't love her so much I'd be soo envious--

Back