Pearl Demon Drive left pedal doesn't feel like the right pedal

JamesLyrie-Stewart

i've brought a pair of pearl demon drive double pedal, and i really fancy the light feel they give me. but one problem is, when i play faster, i found that the left pedal feels differently from the right pedal. i know this problem always happens to double pedal, but i've heard that the demon drive solves this problem on a large extent. i think maybe i just don't know how to adjust the pedal for im a novice. well, would anyone tell me how to adjust the pedal so as to solve the difference? thanks!

One thing you can check and adjust if necessary is how much the u-joint is angled. The straighter the relationship of the pedal to the shaft that connects the left pedal to the right the less difference you will feel in the beater throw of the left pedal.

A set up like this will have a bigger difference
double-bass-drums-pedal1.jpg

than a set up like this
lg_3311DB.jpg

Yup, any time you run thru a driveshaft, it's gonna be a different feel. You can get them close, but not exact. My solution, a double pedal with no driveshafts.​

Attachments

• sleishman.jpg
    sleishman.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5,867
I think the problem is some people are looking for a miracle in foot pedals and regardless of a kool name like "Demon Drive" or a pedal that is super smooth it's not going to make you play any better. I don't have a problem with technology but some of the things they have come up with pedals is just ridiculous. I do believe the concept of the double pedal was so one could play double bass without carrying two bass drums around. I've seen many drummers do incredible things on basic pedals like the iron cobra and pearl eliminator that prove to me that the slave pedals perform very well. I owned one of the first DW double pedals and believe me there should be no complaints about any of the pedals that they have today.

Are you sure its the pedal and not the foot?
Even if you play a 2 bass drums & 2 single pedals set up you will still feel some difference, no matter what, our feet are not exactly the same...

My DD are set up exactly the same on both sides and they really do feel almost identical. Try to see that the spring tension, beater location, foot board height and all the other adjustments are the same and both pedals should feel about the same.

This unfortunately is the problem with mostly all double pedals out there. I believe the only thing we can do is adjust the left/right pedals as much as possible to get them to feel exactly the same and keep the angles identicle.

Until they figure out how to solve the loss of energy or whatever it is; having to play a pedal that's connected with a driveshaft to the main pedal is most likely going to be harder to play cause you have to technically do more to make it work then the main pedal. It sucks especially when the hardest pedal to play for most of us has to be used by our weaker foot!

It's a double pedal, it's never going to feel 100% even.

Also, the longer you make the driveshaft, the more lag you will experience in the slave pedal.

Back