best way to mark drum mat???? ideas???

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
so i have a basic area rug that i want to mark for easy drum placement... what do you guys/gals suggest for marking it? would tape hold up and not come off when its rolled up and put in a car for a gig etc???

i was even getting creative and thinking of dying the rug with like bleach in order to mark the placement?

thanks

Why not a magic marker in red or black depending on the color of the rug. Yellow would also work.

Use different colors of spray paint (i.e. light blue for hi-hat, red for bass drum, etc.). Or strips of colored duct tape... lots of guys do that. Maybe a paint pen in a light color to outline the feet of your stands...?

blood. no one likes a drum mat covered in someone elses blood.

I use masking tape as well. You can buy thin 1/4 or 1/2 inch trim tape at any hardware store. It's cheap, easy and affords you the ability to change your setup as necessary.

I use white masking tape. Works perfect.

I just mark the places the bass drum, snare, hihat and throne must go. Everything else adjusts to that anyway.

Hey beats,

Velcro or tape would be your best bets. If you change set ups, you can re-apply the tape or velcro. Pens or paint, not so forgiving.

-R

A more expense way (but could be easier) are the Protection Racket Matt Markers (http://www.wembleydrumcentre.com/Ca...rotection-Racket-Matt-Markers-Pack-Of-30-9022) which are pack of 30 markers for matts.

Mark your matt in minutes with no tools required and no weight added to matt. Minor adjustments can be made in seconds ! - Simple, discreet & easy to use.

Set your kit up as normal.
Lift the stand legs up & place 3 x circle markers on mat & place corresponding stand marker on stand.
Place bass drum & hi hat markers on bass drum & hi hat pedal.
Play !!

I didn't even think about needing a drum mat. Hopefully I'll find a chocolate brown mat to match my floors.

Also, I'm happy to know that drummers mark their drum placement! It seems I can't get my placement quite right, but when I do, I want to be able to remember it. :|

Thanks for the great ideas! I think one could use any type of sticker and they would be easy to remove and change. I know stores sell sheets of round stickers in the office supply aisle, and they come in different colors.

My rug is dark grey so I just used a fat black sharpie. It cleans off with goo-gone if I need to make any changes.

Back