Felt Beater + Remo Falam Slam Patch?

kevdrummer28

I have a 20x20 bass drum, currently using stock Remo heads(soon plan to switch to a Clear Powerstroke 3) for the batter head, but I play pretty hard, and am about to employ a DW Large Felt Beater to my DW2000 single pedal.

Would putting a Remo Falam Slam Kevlar Patch on that bass head make the felt beater sound weird? I've never mixed a felt beater with a kevlar patch & am wondering if it'd sound okay.

Thanks

No.................At least not in my humble opinion.

I've used: felt beaters + falam slam patch + PS3 batters for many years. "Weird" is not a word I'd use to describe the sound of my bass drum.

Oh yes, volume and tone are unaffected. It's the initial impact will sound a tad different but like I said you probably won't notice it, I never really did lol. Imagine hitting a door with a beater, and then putting a small piece of a sheet in the place of impact, it will pretty much sound the same.

Is the lessened attack backed up with good protection to the drum head?

There is no doubt that a patch offers long lasting protection to the drum head.

However, I don't agree at all with the "soften the attack" claim. This is not to dispute classicstar's findings by any measure.....I don't hear with his ears, so it's certainly possible we garnish different things out of the sound produced. But personally speaking, I've never felt a lack of attack due to using a patch......or a felt beater for that matter, either.

I think the remo falam will protect the head but should be used for wood beaters cause they are not as forgiving. I would go with the evans patch, you get two in a pack. You will still have attack and protect your drum head at the same time. I think the kevlar with the felt is unecessary and overkill. Just my opinion.

I see. Yeah I usually play very hard, especially with my bass, so I'm not expecting much of an initial difference with the hit. But just wanted to be sure.

I think the remo falam will protect the head but should be used for wood beaters cause they are not as forgiving. I would go with the evans patch, you get two in a pack. You will still have attack and protect your drum head at the same time. I think the kevlar with the felt is unecessary and overkill. Just my opinion.

Ok first off, mixing Evans and Remo should be illegal annnd you get two Remo patches in a pack as well, second off I just want to protect my drum head cause I hit hard.

Felt, plastic, rubber, wood, they will all eventually (usually sooner than later) hammer a bare BD head.
I dig the Falams, they make your BD heads last a long time and keep the tonal integrity intact due to the fact that there wont be a pit created by the beater hitting the exact same soft spot countless times.

Felt, plastic, rubber, wood, they will all eventually (usually sooner than later) hammer a bare BD head.
I dig the Falams, they make your BD heads last a long time and keep the tonal integrity intact due to the fact that there wont be a pit created by the beater hitting the exact same soft spot countless times.

Touché. Makes me wonder how drummers lived without 'em

There is no doubt that a patch offers long lasting protection to the drum head.

However, I don't agree at all with the "soften the attack" claim. This is not to dispute classicstar's findings by any measure.....I don't hear with his ears, so it's certainly possible we garnish different things out of the sound produced. But personally speaking, I've never felt a lack of attack due to using a patch......or a felt beater for that matter, either.

Yeah like I said it's hardly even noticeable. I could only really hear it when I hit very softly but yeah it shouldn't really make any noticeable difference. Go for it man!

Back