here's my new dums...

bigmetal

in my quest for all things ridiculous, i have resorted to building my own drums. the sizes i wanted aren't available in a store, and to have a custom shop make these it would have cost me $10k easy... i bought the raw shells from Keller and ordered the wood hoops from Stellar Drums.

sizes:

Kick: 20x28
Rack Tom: 16x16
Floor Toms: 20x18 and 24x20
Snare: 12x15

Cymbals:

Hats: 15" Zildjian - top is a 70s or 80s and the bottom is a Quick Beat
Ride: 26" Zildjian Medium
Crashes: 20" and 22" Zildjian Medium Rides
Effects: 12", 14" and 16" Wuhan chinas and a Zil-Bel

All of the stands and pedals are Pearl except for a couple Gibraltar clamps and arms...

photobucket-6198-1313680651213.jpg

photobucket-6189-1313680535453.jpg

photobucket-6329-1313680611291.jpg

photobucket-5489-1313680519576.jpg

photobucket-6449-1313680628768.jpg

I'm in the process of installing internal mics in all of the drums except the snare:

photobucket-6556-1313682004938.jpg

here is a link to a sound clip on YouTube.
the first part with individual drum hits is overheads and room mics... then i put on the close mics when i start playing the whole kit.

Last edited:
John Bonham would be proud..sweet kit gotta post sound clips of this monster..lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

that sounds like a monster deep sound i agree with bonzolead sound clips would be great. i like the kit tho

as soon as I get it dialed in I'll post some clips... i'm having some trouble finding the sweet spot on the snare, so I'm gonna try some different heads. The toms and kick are amazing though.

my old kit is a Stainless Steel Ludwig with a 14x26" kick, 14", 16:, and 18" toms. after my first band practice with the new kit, there was actually some stuff upstairs that had fallen off of shelves! so it's definitely moving more low end.

WOW.

jakester, those are aquarian performance 2's on the top, an aquarian superkick 2 on the kick drum and an evans EC snare or something of that sort.

You got it. EC2 on the snare... which I liked on my Ludwig Coliseum, but the overtones are a bit much on this drum.

all the reso heads are Remo Ambassador except for the kick. I'm using a Remo black suede on it.

Last edited:
16x16 rack tom ? I thought I had seen it all. Funny, in the picture, the bass drum doesn't look so big, because everything else is so big. I need a drummer in this photo to really understand the situation.

That's RE-DICULOUS. A 16 x 16 small tom. More power to ya brother!

e-hollay! those are huge drums! So in other you words you went big and decided not to go home, lol. well at least you fit them and are not 5' 2 " sitting behind them, they look great BTW!

Sick drums. I imagine they have a very distictive sound.

How are you diggin the 20" FT? Sometimes the attack gets lost in my 16, couldn't imagine what it would be on a 20! How do you tune it?

If those guys are tuned JAW, your house is gonna fall down.

Cool drums.

I love it! In a world where most everyone is going smaller/lighter, you go huge...

Jody does killer work, too...

thanks for the compliments guys! makes all the months of sweating in my garage worth it. considering i've never done this before, they turned out great. kinda flew by the seat of my pants at times, but it was a very satisfying project. cutting the bearing edges and the first hole drilled in my nicely finished drums was kinda scary, but it all came together.

Sick drums. I imagine they have a very distictive sound.

How are you diggin the 20" FT? Sometimes the attack gets lost in my 16, couldn't imagine what it would be on a 20! How do you tune it?

If those guys are tuned JAW, your house is gonna fall down.

Cool drums.

i've always been a fan of very low tunings. i love JAW, but in my experience (which isn't much), i tend to dent heads at that tuning as i'm a fairly hard hitter at times. i tune just a bit above JAW on the batter head and JAW on the reso heads of my toms. i like the reso to be lower so the note kinda bottoms out.

i was surprised that my bandmates said they seemed to have more attack than my old Stainless Ludwig kit... but then again, they are out front and i'm sitting behind them. they are maple. toms are 8 ply, kick is 10 ply and the snare is 12 ply. they definitely aren't good for crazy buzz rolls, that's for sure. but i don't play like that anyways. i think using the two-ply heads give it the attack that might get lost on a single-ply.

Back