Drumming Ear Protection?

sky92

Hey peoples :)

Im new here
an relatively new to drumming

ive been drumming for about 5 months
an i got brought a mapex horizon kit about 2 months ago (used to practise with electric kit)
and for the last couple of months ive been playing with noise reduction pads
an with my ipod ear phones in playing to my bands music
however
obv i get headaches now an then an my band has a gig coming up next month
im just wondering whats the best ear protection ?
i have about £60/70 to spend

oh an btw ive tried docs pro plus
an im not huge fan

thanks guys :)

Im new here

an i got brought a mapex horizon kit about 2 months ago (used to practise with electric kit)
however

an im not huge fan

Not to sound politically correct or anything, but getting headaches might not be caused by loud drumming - it could be something a little more serious. I'd check in with the doctor if it persists - especially if you still get them and you haven't been playing the drums.

It doesn't sound like anything you're doing is bad - if you're playing with pads on the drums then the drums are already quiet. If you're just drumming (as opposed to singing as well) I really like those foam plugs that you roll between your fingers and then put them in your ear so they expand. Very comfortable and you're safe from things like gun shots... Plus you can get a box of hundreds of pairs for like $20 I think.

Go into any old hardware store and buy yourself a pair of over ear protectors. They're usually really cheap. You should get a pair for under a tenner. Great investment for now. For your gigs you can use the in ear variety which are disposable and about 50cent a pack of two.

Im new here

however

an im not huge fan

My personal vote goes for the Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs:

http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity

When I put these in, it's exactly like someone went and turned the master volume down of life. :) Seriously: they really do have what seems to be a perfectly flat attenuation as opposed to other ear plugs that simply make everything sound muddy and muffled. But with these High Fidelity plugs, the result is that everything still sounds crisp and clear, but it's all at a safe volume. I use these every single time I play my drums, which includes practice with the band and gigs.

The secret is how you insert them: moisten the white silicon tip with your mouth, and insert them. But then take them out and repeat the process at least once or twice. The goal is to get a perfect seal, otherwise they won't provide satisfactory results. But be sure to insert them all the way so that even the largest flange of the tip is sealed. Just as with simply creating a perfect seal, inserting them all the way in addition to creating that perfect seal produces the advertised results. There are way too many people who aren't impressed by the High Fidelity ear plugs because they don't insert them properly. Instead, they just quickly stick them in and then expect them to work as advertised.

Here's an image I found of the back of the package (it's not mine):

instructions-hifi-3aa61d6f98c2eee3fda139064abe8746.jpg

These things cost me $14.99 USD at Guitar Center. But to me, they're worth way more than that.

i use hi-fi hearos too. they really do preserve most of the high frequencies that basic foam earplugs block.

I just use the Bose $100 - $150 dollar model. They work really well and I play music through them. You can tell they work when you hit a massive rimshot and you hear the vibrations shielded by the bulk of the headphones.

i was thinking about buying the vic firth stereo isolation headphones
because i play basically like rave metal
whioch means i need to listein to a backing track
an those headphones help dampen the noise but allow you to listein to the backing tracks aswell, ive read the reviews and they seem quite good an they last a long time

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buynow/product.php?button=SIH1

what do you guys think?
anyone had any Experience with them ?

because i play basically like rave metal
whioch means i need to listein to a backing track
an those headphones help dampen the noise but allow you to listein to the backing tracks aswell, ive read the reviews and they seem quite good an they last a long time

what do you guys think?

I have tried them and wasn't overly impressed, they do cut down the putside sound personally I wish it was more though, I've also tried metrphones which are similar.
If I'm playin to muic I wear custom made IEM's and the put a pair of sound isolating headphones over the top, it's not perfect but it's the best I've found so far.
The Shure se210's are quite good if you don't want the expense of custom mades and I took the ends off a pair of er20's to get a better fit.

what do you guys think?

I have a pair. They're good and pretty durable. 5 years old now. Quite heavy and the chord is not super long. Bear it in mind. The sound isolation is decent but, because they are flat on the ear, it is not as good as other over ear protectors. BTW you can usually filt a pair of in ear headphones under the over ear protectors, if that makes sense. The sound is better than the VFirth ones as you don't need the music as loud due to the better isolation.

Here's an example:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...Number=394337&Trail=searchtext>EAR+PROTECTION

(Orange is the new black ;-)

If you want to invest in the future you can get a set of personal moulds done for around the 250 mark. It's probably best to wait until you've stopped growing though. These moulds are usually upgradeable to in ear monitors but it gets pricey then. Ranging from 400 to 800 ish.

Try out the VFirth ones and if you like the fit, the isolation and the price then go for it. They are not a dud product, they're just not high end studio quality.

I'll throw in another vote for the Hearos. I've been using them for around 6 months now and they are the best I've ever experienced. I can't tell you how many times I've decided against ear plugs because I can't make out what the other musicians are playing but with these that problem is solved. Well worth the little bit of extra money.

I have a pair. They're good and pretty durable. 5 years old now. Quite heavy and the chord is not super long. Bear it in mind. The sound isolation is decent but, because they are flat on the ear, it is not as good as other over ear protectors. BTW you can usually filt a pair of in ear headphones under the over ear protectors, if that makes sense. The sound is better than the VFirth ones as you don't need the music as loud due to the better isolation.

Here's an example:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...Number=394337&Trail=searchtext>EAR+PROTECTION

(Orange is the new black ;-)

If you want to invest in the future you can get a set of personal moulds done for around the 250 mark. It's probably best to wait until you've stopped growing though. These moulds are usually upgradeable to in ear monitors but it gets pricey then. Ranging from 400 to 800 ish.

Try out the VFirth ones and if you like the fit, the isolation and the price then go for it. They are not a dud product, they're just not high end studio quality.
My Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones go over my ears. Do you have ears the size of satellite dishes? :)

sky92: I can't provide any useful feedback because I've only used them once at a solo practice session. :/

My Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones go over my ears. Do you have ears the size of satellite dishes? :)

Ha! I hope I don't man. Nah I think you missed what I was saying. Just that it is possible to use a standard set of small in ear iPod headphones with the protectors in the link above.

The Vic Firth headphones are good value for money by the way.

Ha! I hope I don't man. Nah I think you missed what I was saying. Just that it is possible to use a standard set of small in ear iPod headphones with the protectors in the link above.

The Vic Firth headphones are good value for money by the way.
What confused me was "The sound isolation is decent but, because they are flat on the ear, it is not as good as other over ear protectors." At first, it made me picture them not going completely over your ears, but I think I know what you mean now. I can't put mine on right now to test them, but I think I remember wishing that they had more room inside for my satellite dishes. :)

What confused me was "The sound isolation is decent but, because they are flat on the ear, it is not as good as other over ear protectors." At first, it made me picture them not going completely over your ears, but I think I know what you mean now. I can't put mine on right now to test them, but I think I remember wishing that they had more room inside for my satellite dishes. :)

Ah OK yeah I see what you mean. The cheap protectors in the link cover my satellite dishes completely, leaving for slightly better isolation against the head.

Whereas the VFirth are flat on the ear. Still good tho. Just leads to a bit more sweaty ear syndrome if you're playing for a long time.

Ah OK yeah I see what you mean. The cheap protectors in the link cover my satellite dishes completely, leaving for slightly better isolation against the head.

Whereas the VFirth are flat on the ear. Still good tho. Just leads to a bit more sweaty ear syndrome if you're playing for a long time.
Oh weird. Mine go completely over my ears in the same way the plain Vic Firth isolation headphones do.

Back