Are there IHOP's in Europe?

You guys are a little more sweetoothed than me. .

When I've traveled to Central America, I'm always amazed to discover just how much sweeter their breakfasts tend to be compared to the USA. Pancakes with thick fruit glaze, sweet rolls, and such.

But lunch and dinner tends to be less fattening, since they tend to not fry as much, use less beef (if any) and more seafood.

Now, the real question is why can't get any real southern BBQ in Los Angeles, and you can't get real New Orleans food outside of Louisiana.

What's the closest thing then? Waffles? Do Europeans eat anything that is similar to American pancake for breakfast? Something that requires butter and syrup? The name of the chain, International House of Pancakes.... implies that pancakes are loved the world over. What is it about pancakes that doesn't appeal to the Euro-palette?

In Russia, they prepare thin pancakes called bliny. They eat them with stuff like fresh berries and sour cream, or red caviar and sour cream. Yummy! The whole mindset towards food is different over there. I was married to a Russian woman for about 6 years. When she came here she would only eat organic foods and meals made from scratch. Unfortunately, I had to do most of the cooking. I'm kinda poor now and as a bachelor now I've fell back into my American ways a little, but I much more aware now. The thing is, these fast food places have healthy choices, but the healthier food is a lot more costly. As a side note, I was surprised to see a Pizza Hut in Moscow, and they didn't serve Diet Pepsi, they served Pepsi Lite. Interesting, but that was like 10 years ago.

php_dutch.jpg

This is not a pancake - it's a cake (at least by Oz standards). My pancakes are about 5mm thick.

Who eats a whole cake for breakfast? Answer: very big people.

Heh, well, the size is actually a bit deceptive. It's not solid cake, it's really quite thin. Poke that thing with a fork and it's mostly air inside.

Not that I've ever eaten one, of course :)

No IHOPs in Europe. Funny enough, though, I did see a TGI Fridays in Norway. Wasn't expecting that, for some reason.

And Diet Coke is Coke Light in Europe. Don't ask for anything "Diet" they'll look at you quizzically.

And Diet Coke is Coke Light in Europe. Don't ask for anything "Diet" they'll look at you quizzically.

I've not come across that o_O? Where have you see Coke Light? In the UK and Italy (when I was there a few years back) it's definitely Diet Coke.

haha ... that means we have to set a point where a pancake becomes just a cake ... and the very deep pan loophole won't wash. Nor that "mostly air" gumbo.

I'd say about 7mm ... bring on the calipers!

Anything 10mm plus - 7mm is just a decent American pancake (mmmmmm)

Why did you poke her with a fork?

He had no choice, that's the way he's shaped.

CaddyWumpus:

Caddy deriving from the Greek word Cadadelius meaning forked,
and Wumpus from the Greek word Wumpusopolis meaning appendage.

I hear he's quite the talk of the town over there in Portland. They say he can move each tine independently. His wife was voted happiest woman in Portland 6 years running.

The best pancake chain I've experienced in the U.S. is the Original Pancake House. We have one in suburban Detroit that I visit a few times a year. http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

They serve the lemon and sugar variety. It's a huge portion that fills a dinner plate and they call it the Dutch Baby. It's not a pancake in the traditional sense, but it's awesome.

php_dutch.jpg

8mile i've been there the place is awesome everything is homemade, the orange juice is fresh-squeezed, the blueberry syrup has blueberries in it, great coffee whats not to like the only think they don't. have is Steak & Eggs i've asked..lol

If you're in the metro-detroit area I highly recommend it but get there early because there is usually a line.

Bonzolead

Nope. Bob's Red Mill beats IHOP. (yes, the "Bob's Red Mill" grains you buy in the health food section at your local grocery store--the actual mill is in my hometown!!!)

Sorry but my answer was about the Super Bowl not pancake houses..

See jonescrushers question//////

I've not come across that o_O? Where have you see Coke Light? In the UK and Italy (when I was there a few years back) it's definitely Diet Coke.

I don't know about the UK ( I will find out this summer) but in Italy is definitely Coke Light. I've had friends ordering "Diet Coke" and the waiter pauses...awkward silence..then they say, Oh! Coke Light?

It could also be depending on the region. I've been to Napoli and Civitavecchia 90mins outside Rome) and it's Coke Light.

But I digress. We're talking pancakes here! Maybe I will go to AHOP...since the "I" is a misnomer, and I will let the people there know. Nothing like being pretentious for pretentiousness' sake...

But I digress. We're talking pancakes here! Maybe I will go to AHOP...since the "I" is a misnomer, and I will let the people there know. Nothing like being pretentious for pretentiousness' sake...

Well, it's been established that IHOP exists in Canada and Mexico, as well as the US. So technically, they're international. Although they are definitely trying to give the impression of being truly global, a company only needs to have a presence in two countries to be international :)

I don't think there's anything about pancakes that doesn't appeal to us, but with the exception of the UK the trend in Europe seems to be to avoid heavy breakfasts. I like American style pancakes, but I don't understand how you guys can stomach it in the morning; it just seems too rich to me. Doesn't it make you want to just lie down and go back to sleep instead of giving you the energy needed to start the day? To me it would make a lot more sense as lunch or even dinner or supper.

We'll make that sort of stuff for dinner on occasion but I agree somewhat on the pancake thing...if I'm not going out to do some serious work a big heavy breakfast like that puts me in a food coma and I'm useless for a couple hours on the weekends. During the work week it's very very light with some coffee.

As a side note, I was surprised to see a Pizza Hut in Moscow, and they didn't serve Diet Pepsi, they served Pepsi Lite. Interesting, but that was like 10 years ago.

...never seen an IHOP anywhere but here.....still looking for a waffle house too.

Speaking of Pizza hut. I was in Poznan, Poland in 93....they had a Pizza hut and Mcdonalds.....good old American capitalism. Gotta love it

Back