Breaking Bass Drum Pedals

TheIronCobr4

So I've had my double bass pedal about 2 years. A DW 7000 and its worked great for me. Honest to God its one of the best things I've ever bought for my kit. But today it broke and I don't know what to do. Are they fixable or is it a too bad gotta buy a new one thing. I appreciate any feedback and I'll upload some pictures tonight. Thank you.

What part broke?
It probably can be repaired.
Please post a good pic of the broken part.

Here's some pics.

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

That appears to be a hinge.
I'm sure that a hinge could be found that is similar in a hardware store.
The hinge could be fitted to the footboard and the baseplate.
Drilling and screwing or a weld may be needed to secure the new hinge.
It would be worth a try before buying new or used pedals.

It looks like your only hope would be to replace the hinge by taking apart the base. Or if you could come up with a way to weld the broken hinge back in place. There is no easy fix here. Both of these would probably be fairly involved because the footpedal is robust and hard to work with/take apart.

Unfortunately, DW's warranty only covers cast parts such as the footboard and the cam. The hinge is not a cast part. I'd say you will probably have to buy a new pedal if this one is not covered under some kind of supplemental warranty.

btw, your username is misleading, Iron Cobra.

I think Musiciansfriend sells most of those parts.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-18 at 7.38.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-18 at 7.38.43 PM.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 371
Yep just a hinge and in all honesty it's not that hard a part to replace, just a couple screws. Inexpensive easy fix. If you have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash near by they will more than likely have the hinge in stock.

That appears to be a hinge.
I'm sure that a hinge could be found that is similar in a hardware store.

Its a hinge alright. DW used to issues those 'hardware store' hinges on their 5000 line, pieces OS.

I don't know if it fits, but 'if' and you're serious about yer 7000's, I'd look into their upgrade, if you re-boot with D-dubs hardware store hinge, the same things gonna happen again, or even worse... it'll wear out something sloppy quick.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 385
Be VERY careful removing the screws that hold the hinge pieces onto the pedal board and heel plate. I tried swapping the aluminum hinge for a Delta hinge on my 7000, and wound up breaking the screw heads off, leaving the screw hole permanently plugged and ruining the footboards. Luckily I have a "20-year box" of DW pedal parts, so I was able to replace the 7000 boards with some old 5000s.

Be VERY careful removing the screws that hold the hinge pieces onto the pedal board and heel plate. I tried swapping the aluminum hinge for a Delta hinge on my 7000, and wound up breaking the screw heads off, leaving the screw hole permanently plugged and ruining the footboards. Luckily I have a "20-year box" of DW pedal parts, so I was able to replace the 7000 boards with some old 5000s.

Im pretty sure they use thread lock on those screws, so do take appropriate action b/f removing and when you replace em use anti-seize, its no big deal to snug up screws once a year.

Im pretty sure they use thread lock on those screws, so do take appropriate action b/f removing and when you replace em use anti-seize, its no big deal to snug up screws once a year.

yep they use threadlock on them, took the heel plate off my 9000 a few months ago.

As for the comment about DW going through so many designs because of breakage I've used DW pedals since the mid-late 80's Pre delta hinge, 5000 when the delta hinge came out and now a 9000. I've never had a problem breaking a pedal or the hinge and I don't think that delta hinge design has changed much in the past 15 years.

I had the exact same problem with my DW7000 a few years ago (the pedal was maybe 3-4 years old at the time). I just ordered the part that GRUNTERSDAD posted, and it took only a few minutes to replace. No big deal at all. I've had no problems with it since.

Back