Can I get some beater suggestions?

joshisaces

Gold Member
I have DW beaters and imo these are way too bulky to tolerate fast double bass. Can you recommend me some beaters that wouldn't lag? Also, if it's a 2-sided beater that's much better, because I use the hard side...

Thanks

Iron Cobra beaters are very light but not 2 sided.
Pearls El. Beaters are 4 way but bulky as the DW.
Mapex 3-Way bulky to
Sonor are 2-Way and they are light.

My advice would be ( i use them myself ) kinda light, 2-Way, cheap pearl Beaters.

Iron Cobra beaters are very light but not 2 sided.

Plastic IC beater seems to be the thing for you.

371594.jpg

They're notoriously hard to find though.... :-/

You can find those online. I have the gibraltar 2 sided beaters and they're pretty light compared to the Pearl 4ways. They're pretty cheap too. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?base_pid=446521&cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&index=0

Hm, those look pretty weird... How do they work, as in... what part of the beater do you actually use for the hard side? the side of the beater or the back?

And the plastic IC beaters someone below was talking about are actually rubber, right? I know there are wood, felt, and then rubber (if I'm correct.)

Hey guys,

Beaters is one of my favourites and have tried various over the last few years. Thought to share some of my experience with you.
Iron cobras are great for fast playing without having the "light as a feather" feeling. They are the best medium solution between very light and bulkiness like the old danmars. Keep in mind though that the rubber version gets very sticky after a while (their rubber is of soft quality - not plastic) and it's very irritating. The IC felt version is a bit more expensive but probably worths it. I'll definitely get one in the future.

Pearl 4 way beater is bulky but worked fine with my Axis, however as someone else said very correctly, the cheap 2-side pearl beaters are awesome,tried with Trick and Axis and had a great feeling and a heavy sound(plastic side). One other thing about them though is that they are a bit shorter from IC and many other beaters.
I don't know why but that didn't affect the playing it was too little of a difference.

Danmar: I own and used to play the old big version then went to the "new,improved,smaller" one which was better. Very heavy feeling,strong attack.

A beater I've tried but don't own yet is the Gibraltar SC 3262. Plastic inside but wood outside. Great attack and light-normal feel,good price. I'll be definitely getting a pair of those in the future. (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...SC3262-Solid-Wood-Bass-Drum-Beater?sku=446087)

I own the Trick Pro-1V big foot that comes with the aluminium beaters and thought to give some input on this.

What I realised with the Trick beaters is that despite the fact that are really light(aluminium) are very capable to deliver a powerful stroke. They are very adjustable and easy to do so. I own and tried Axis beaters and I coudln't say that for them.
However if you don't like that "very light feeling" on your bass drum playing I suggest you try going with heavier beaters.

What I haven't figured out yet is: what's the difference between the Aluminium and Black?
Is it only the colour or the material as well?

Hope this was of some help, just keep trying and you'll find your sound and feel,the options are many,just like women.

Last edited:
Through my experience I find that the DW beaters are best for producing sound and volume. I used to play very light beaters... Iron Cobra, Yamaha. When I got my DW 5000 Heel Less pedal it came with the typical DW beater. I tried it on a gig and to my suprise our sound man had to back off the gain on my bass drum 50%. Some of it is due to the pedal itself and some to the beater. I agree that it is a heavy beater and it took some getting used to but now I'm totally sold!

Mike Packer

Hey guys,

Beaters is one of my favourites and have tried various over the last few years. Thought to share some of my experience with you.
Iron cobras are great for fast playing without having the "light as a feather" feeling. They are the best medium solution between very light and bulkiness like the old danmars. Keep in mind though that the rubber version gets very sticky after a while (their rubber is of soft quality - not plastic) and it's very irritating. The IC felt version is a bit more expensive but probably worths it. I'll definitely get one in the future.

Pearl 4 way beater is bulky but worked fine with my Axis, however as someone else said very correctly, the cheap 2-side pearl beaters are awesome,tried with Trick and Axis and had a great feeling and a heavy sound(plastic side). One other thing about them though is that they are a bit shorter from IC and many other beaters.
I don't know why but that didn't affect the playing it was too little of a difference.

Danmar: I own and used to play the old big version then went to the "new,improved,smaller" one which was better. Very heavy feeling,strong attack.

A beater I've tried but don't own yet is the Gibraltar SC 3262. Plastic inside but wood outside. Great attack and light-normal feel,good price. I'll be definitely getting a pair of those in the future. (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...SC3262-Solid-Wood-Bass-Drum-Beater?sku=446087)

I own the Trick Pro-1V big foot that comes with the aluminium beaters and thought to give some input on this.

What I realised with the Trick beaters is that despite the fact that are really light(aluminium) are very capable to deliver a powerful stroke. They are very adjustable and easy to do so. I own and tried Axis beaters and I coudln't say that for them.
However if you don't like that "very light feeling" on your bass drum playing I suggest you try going with heavier beaters.

What I haven't figured out yet is: what's the difference between the Aluminium and Black?
Is it only the colour or the material as well?

Hope this was of some help, just keep trying and you'll find your sound and feel,the options are many,just like women.

Have you tried or had any experience with the wood IC beaters? Or any wood beaters in general? what kind of sound do the wood beaters produce?

Thanks

I really love the Iron Cobra beaters. I have the felt and rubber ones. I use the felt most often. I usually put a small counterweight at the very top of the shaft to give it some extra "go". I love how you can adjust the angle to strike the head perfectly. They sound and feel great.

I really love the Iron Cobra beaters. I have the felt and rubber ones. I use the felt most often. I usually put a small counterweight at the very top of the shaft to give it some extra "go". I love how you can adjust the angle to strike the head perfectly. They sound and feel great.

So, do they make more of a boomy sound when they're felt or is it not that bad? I kind of liked the punch I got with the hard side of the beaters, and when I used the felt side it was just like a big boom that I didn't like.

So, do they make more of a boomy sound when they're felt or is it not that bad? I kind of liked the punch I got with the hard side of the beaters, and when I used the felt side it was just like a big boom that I didn't like.

If you decide to try them, you might get two (or all three) like I did. I'll try a wood beater someday, just to have all three.

These beaters are a little more punchy than say, a DW beater. The felt is thinner and harder. The contact area is small too, so it's a bit punchier than other beaters I've tried. The counter-weight gives it power that it would otherwise be a bit too light to have (for me.)

For me it's the perfect balance of warm "boom" and punch. Keep in mind I'm using a 22x18" kick. It also worked very nicely on my 20x14" last year.

If you decide to try them, you might get two (or all three) like I did. I'll try a wood beater someday, just to have all three.

These beaters are a little more punchy than say, a DW beater. The felt is thinner and harder. The contact area is small too, so it's a bit punchier than other beaters I've tried. The counter-weight gives it power that it would otherwise be a bit too light to have (for me.)

For me it's the perfect balance of warm "boom" and punch. Keep in mind I'm using a 22x18" kick. It also worked very nicely on my 20x14" last year.

Thanks for the help. I'm also driving a 22x18 kick now. I think I'm probably going with the IC's but I'm still open to other suggestions.

I use the IC rubber beaters. no they do not melt. they do not get dents or anything else ridiculous that i have heard.

they are great beaters if you want more definition than a felt beater but less click then a wood. they have a great punch and good rebound.

I use the IC rubber beaters. no they do not melt. they do not get dents or anything else ridiculous that i have heard.

they are great beaters if you want more definition than a felt beater but less click then a wood. they have a great punch and good rebound.

Yeah, I liked the rubber beater too but decided I liked the sound and feel of the felt a little bit more. I held back on getting the wood beater because I assumed it'd sound like you described.

Yeah, I liked the rubber beater too but decided I liked the sound and feel of the felt a little bit more. I held back on getting the wood beater because I assumed it'd sound like you described.

I'll probably HAVE to get them all ;)
But seriously, I think just going to wait and do some more research before I do anything. I don't think I would mind the 'click' that you said the wood beaters give, but it might be overpowering. So the rubber beaters aren't messy because i could picture them getting all over my bd head. :p

Back