14x8 Snare side

weegs51690

what would be the different sound characteristics offered by the different weights of snare side heads (2 mil, 3 mil, 5 mil) on a 14x8 Maple Snare? Sensitivity, etc. Also what kind of snares should I get? I have been told 42 strand snares are best for deep shell snares, as they offer a lot of sensitivity that you would lose with deeper shell depths.

thanks

what would be the different sound characteristics offered by the different weights of snare side heads (2 mil, 3 mil, 5 mil) on a 14x8 Maple Snare? Sensitivity, etc. Also what kind of snares should I get? I have been told 42 strand snares are best for deep shell snares, as they offer a lot of sensitivity that you would lose with deeper shell depths.

thanks

What you've heard is exactly right about the 42 strand on a deep shell. as for the snare side head, you'll never want to use a 200 for that, so you have to make the choice between the 300 and 500. 9/10, youll see a 300 on a 14x8, and thats what i would use if i had a 14x8, without a doubt, just because ive played enough to know the difference. The 500 will be a more powerful head than the 300, but not significantly, and youll lose a significant amount of sensitivity. I'd go for the 300 if i were you.

Alot of people use a 42 snare set on drums that have a wide snare bed,like luddy supras and acros,some people recomend not to use them on a drum with a narrow snare bed,be
cause the 42's are so wide,puresound has a chart and explanation about this at their site.The deepest drum I have is a 6.75x14 thick shelled birch,and for sensitivity at lower volume while still being able to hit the drum hard without choking I have had good success with the fat cat snares that have set of center snares that are tension adjustable with a set of snares on each side that are not.Sometimes you just have to experiment with each snare drum to see what works.I would say imo when you are working with any snare drum especially a deep one that a quality wire is a good way to go,But I have a world max brass that I put 30.00 dollar puresounds on,but I found I liked the cheap import wires it came with better,so go figure.I have found that like Zabour that a 200 does'nt work for me on a deep snare and that a 300 works best for me also.I think the more wires you have and the thinner the snare head = more sensitivity but on a deep drum a 300 head and a wire count getting into 16 20 24 works best.

I use 42's and the Remo Ambassador low collar snare side head on my 8x14.

The low collar SS Amb is clear film (not usual hazy) and it's a touch drier than the usual Amb. SS. There's a TD after the usual model number.

The 42's retain the sensitivity and still gives you some shell sound.
On mine, if I used 20 strand wires, I got a LOT of shell sound and not as much 'snare' sound as I wanted.

With that combo on the bottom, I can use any top head I like, and it's not too "wet" or "dry" sounding.

If you hit hard most of the time, you might want to consider the Emp snare side weight, but the low collar head I've been using is pretty tough, and it also takes to a tight or super tight tension with ease.

Back